Rashy Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Rashy Era

Post by Vyncyn »

"Vyncyn Rashy Era" is on the wesnoth 1.16 addon-server. It contains 15 factions with mostly selfmade art.
There are 3 different eras: default (contains 9 factions), default extended (15 factions but less balanced) and AoH (15 factions + 1 "fun" Assassin faction, lvl3 leaders and lvl2 recruitables)
Some of the artwork can be found on this thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38669
I'm open to any comment or suggestion.

Current Version: 1.6.11c

Some more balancing.
Reworked meachnis of status conditions
bugfixes

changes from 1.6 to 1.6.10:
Bugfixes and code upgrades
New Graphics & balancing for lots of units & factions
Reworked some factions or added units
added new mechanic, where some untis can apply status conditions to others (drunk,blurred,injured,corroded)
Last edited by Vyncyn on May 29th, 2023, 6:59 am, edited 36 times in total.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Re: Rashy Era

Post by Vyncyn »

Just added 3 more factions:
dwarves: mostly mainline dwarves with 1 new unit and different lineup than knalgans
regis: mainline loyalists with different lineup
vixens: amazon tribe of half fox half humans

I want the dwarvish Fighter to advance to the runesmith, like in the SoF campain, but ENABLE_DWARVISH_RUNESMITH didn't work for me (at least in the ways i tried it).
I will try it with [base_unit] in the next update, but i would prefer it the other way.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

hi, i like your era and even used a few sprites for mine. but there is a slight desing-related thing about Dwarvish Rune Adept line, the description hints about them using earth magic, but fireballs look REALLY out of place here, you can perphaps replace them with either something rock-y, or maybe a runic ranged attack
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

The fireball was mainly used for balancing, as dwarves have mostly pierce/blade/impact attacks and dwarves seem to get the most use out of fire (like blacksmiths). I could use arcane rune magic if that makes more sense. What about the lvl3 unit? He's an Elementarist so Fire/Icemagic would be more logical than arcanary. Or i could change the discription and then make him go arcane->fire->fire+ice as he levels up.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Vyncyn wrote:The fireball was mainly used for balancing, as dwarves have mostly pierce/blade/impact attacks and dwarves seem to get the most use out of fire (like blacksmiths). I could use arcane rune magic if that makes more sense. What about the lvl3 unit? He's an Elementarist so Fire/Icemagic would be more logical than arcanary. Or i could change the discription and then make him go arcane->fire->fire+ice as he levels up.
well, it's a nice idea, i just meant that the line could use maybe fire runes or something
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Ok thanks for the feedback. I will change name and icon to something more fitting, but the new update propably won't be up until I finish a new faction or made some more changes to the old ones.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

btw, atlantic lvl1 spearman is op:
compare him to loyalist spearman:
_______atlantic:____human:_______suggestions_for atlantic to make him less ridiculous:
melee:7-3_________7-3 equal______a)no change b)6-3 c)5-3
ranged:9-2________6-1 OP_________a)7-1 b)6-2 c)8-2
cost:__13_________14 OP__________a)14 b)14 c)16
keep in mind the options i posted should be considered from same collumns (if you choose a), then only a) ideas, ect.)
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

atlantic spearman doesn't have ranged attack. He uses a weapon similar to an halbert so he has pierce and blade attack, but both are melee
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Vyncyn wrote:atlantic spearman doesn't have ranged attack. He uses a weapon similar to an halbert so he has pierce and blade attack, but both are melee
then i meant a wrong unit name, but with same weapon stats i meant lvl1, if you are interested
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

I looked through my units, but i can't find anyone with those stats.
Found something different though: Atlantis and Chevalier spearman both have the same stats, but different costs.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Hi, I will post at here some balance sugestions.

Dark elves feedback
Dark archers: looks overpriced next to elvish archer at rebels. They're only 60% forest defense, also 6-3 (or 7-3 if dexterous) is defenitively lower than 5-4 (or 6-4 if dexterous). 4-3 mele is softly superior than 5-2, but it's not enough to make that archer costs a way more than elvish archer. A sugestion would be to lower his price to 16g or just increasing his health to 34-35.
Dark aprentice: he's defetively massively underpowered!! how can he cost the same than Dark Adepts with only 60% of their damage?! Sugestion would to make these 6-3 ranged and decrease price to 15g. Compared to suarian augur, he would still be underperforming. You can try 20% or 30% cold resistance to be an interesting defensive counter of units with cold atack to compense their low damage. Also try mele of 3-2 because 2-2 looks useless.
Spider Priest: He's underpowered as well. Try giving him the damage of a lv1 mage but with his specials (5-5 for poison considering it's not a magical atack). Also magical slow is really a strong atack and also a secondary one, doesn't need changes.
Shadow priest: much more balanced, keep him going like that.
Darkelf summoner: Another underpowered unit in the line. While Arch mages are doing 12-4 ranged, elvish marskman's lv3 are doing 10-5, why is this unit only doing 6-5? Try better something like 8-5 ranged and 8-2 mele, so he can really look like a lv3.
Bloodpriest: more balanced than summoners, but a bit low in damage. Mage of light is 15-3 all times, but uses only 1 atack type and has 7-3 impact mele. Let's try to give to bloodpriests 13-3 at cold, 9-4 at arcane and 7-5 at fire. His versality at damages would make worth the worser mele than mage of lights and weaker overall resistances.
Shadow warrior: underporming lv2 fighter. If elvish hero is 6-3 ranged and has same mele, why does this guy have only 5-2 ranged? another underpowered unit. Not even more health than elvish hero. Try giving him 10% res to blade and impact, that could justificate their lower ranged atack (being something between loyalist swordsmen and elvish heros). Try to mantain the same values of resistances at lv3.
Dark guards: try giving him 10% pierce resistance. He already has 8-1 ranged which pikemen doesn't have. Try to increase the pierce resistance to 20% at lv3.
Rest of that faction looks fine

Forest Dwarves
Harerider: looks very overpriced or underpowered. Try decreasing their price to 19g or 18g. Looks less relevant to own on an army than a mage or dark adept. Also that movility and their higher defenses can justificate most of the price.
Hareknight: knight? it's more likely a mage, name looks out of place. Also try giving 7-4 ranged considering it has no lv3.

Forest men
Forest shaman: try giving him 4-3 ranged magical, entangle looks much better to always use actually.
Forest Mage: Try giving him 6-5 or 5-6 at thorns and entangle damage +1. Thorns for sure can't deal as much damage in real life as fireballs (8-4) also 8-4 is too mainstream, let's try something more unique.
Forest Druid: Try with him 7-6 or 6-7 at thorns. Entangle +1 damge. Cures? why not? could be fun to give him the capacity to heal from poison alied units, he's a druid :P
Forest Herbalist: no lv3 that underperforms next to elvish Druid. Try giving him 6-4 or 4-6 at ranged in order to fit with Forest mage changes.
Tusklet: mmm... a way too expensive, Try the price of 11g or 12g and giving to the lv1 15% impact resistance and to the lv2 30% impact resistance.
Wooden warrior line: Looks hard to balance those men, I don't know to give an accurate feedback, but those need more revision and atention, chances of that unit being not balanced are kinda high.

Montain people (forgot faction name)
Falcon Trainer: Obviously underpowered unit. Try making falcon atacks at first 6-3. Unsure about this feedback, but try giving him a 5-2 sling for neutral impact atack (6-3 for lv2 and 8-3 for lv3). So he can really look like worth to buy for 16g.
Falcon Maser: Try to give Falcon atack a kind of special that makes it to hit with +10% when used ofensively, birds have good sight.
Eagle Master: Apart of the +10% hit chance from lv2, with the bonus sling this unit can deal better its low base damage at ranged.
Travelier: underperforms a lot next to wolf fighter in the same faction! one less price for 6-3 blade instead 6-4, nah, wolf fighters are overperforming this unit by a lot. Try giving Traveliers 4-2 pierce ranged. Also sugest to make his mele 6-3 into pierce and to give him 5-3 blade mele as well.
Hunter: try giving him 8-3 at ranged and recomended health of 42. Looks kinda weak.
Mountain ranger: try giving him 60 of health.
Wolf Warrior: an ok unit that is underperforming next to other lv2 units of other factions. Try making him 9-4 mele, he doesn't have bonus resistances, aditional atacks, let's compense him with some brute force damage.
Wolf Champion: Try mantaining the +1 damage upgarade over those (10-5).
Wolf Guard: kinda overpowered. Actually is much better than wolf warrios mostly cause of high bonuses at resistances. Considering it has really good health (57 hp) try nerfing his blade resistance to 30% -> 20%.
Wandering mage: looks too expensive, as how it looks like actually it's worth for 18g or 17g only. Doesn't has that much damage as mages or dark adept also impact on ranged is a lower tier of atack type than cold, arcane or fire are; still he has better movement at hils/mountains and 4-2 mele which is superior. You can try him for a price of 18g or 19g if you we try at him a bonus ranged atack: rocks 3-7 no magical
Mountain Wise: obviously underpowered! white mage deals 9-3 and arcane and heals +8! Try giving mountain Wise 9-3 ranged and the previously mentionated rocks 4-8 and 50% at least hit chance but only while atacking
Hermit: Looks a bit underpowered, try Avalanche damage of 13-3 and rocks: 6-8 marskman
Young Roc: Try giving it a 4-2 mele pierce charge marskman on mele. Faction needs more source of pierce damage at lv1.
Roc: Try giving to this 7-2 mele pierce charge marskman as bonus atack weapon.
Thunderbird: Bonus mele weapon: 11-2 mele pierce charge marsksman (oh that size or thunderbirds...).
UNIT SUGESTION: The faction even with my changes looks weak at pierce damage and also has no fire/cold atacks. Actually does have not any kind of chances againist an enemy player usind drakes. You can try making a new line with some of those specifications for a lv1 unit:
a) 4-2 fire mele
b) 7-2 or 8-2 pierce ranged
c) 6-2 or 7-2 fire ranged
d) Price: depending on health/movement, a cost between 13g and 19g.

Hope you like this feedback, also I really like at most the sugestion at mountain people, that faction is kinda meh actually and with the changes I gift to you it can become into a really fun to play faction.

In order to not overxetend on this post, I will leave feedback of other factions later at another post.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Uuu, i really like those suggestions, especially those who take them further away from mainline (makes it far more interesting to play).
I did almost all the changes you suggested, though i took some buffs in a different direction.

Darkelf Dark Priest (+advancements): Made him cheaper and stronger, but i don't want to buff him too hard as i think the Shadow Priest advancement is kinda strong with his Illumination, as it interacts with other units (lvl2 archer, lvl2 thief). He acts more like a support unit (like the elvish shaman) than a mage, unfortunately he lacks healing. I initiatly wanted to give the Summoner a summon ability (summon lvl0 demons for gold), thats why he was kinda weak (might add it later but summon ability is hard to balance so i don't know if i'm gonna leave it out).

Forest Druid: I think cures would be too strong and it wouldn't make much sense to have the herbalist, but he can now unpoison himself(and i buffed his stats)
Mountaintribes Falcontrainer/Travellerline: Gave the sling to the traveller and a crossbow to the Falcontrainer (makes more sense with the advancement as lvl3 Falcontrainer already has a crossbow and lvl3 Traveller has ranged impact damage)

Wandering Mage (+advancement): 10% fire and cold-resistance, as well as the 3-7 ranged attack (made it pierce). Didn't add weaponspecials, instead I increased the number (4-9 and 6-9on lvl2/3).
Trying to judge the faction by the ability to defeat drakes seems kinda pointless, as there are no drakes in this era (yet). But i get your point, just can't think of a good unit which would fit (maybe some kind of alchemist for fire damage, but I personally don't like it).
The other units are changed pretty much the way you suggested. Exept for the Tusker. I don't know if i'm gonna keep him or swap him against a bear or wolf.

Offtopic: is +10% hitchance possible? I tried it a few times in the past but it never worked. Same question for max hitchance. Wanted to make a special which doubles chance to a maximum of 80%, but game engine didn't accept it.
Last edited by Vyncyn on September 7th, 2016, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IPS

Post by IPS »

At Forest Druid I meant only cures (capacity to only heal poison), not the heals+8 too; remember those are 2 diferent specials, on ageless you see units with heals+8 but without cures. Would be interesting that this lv3 mage has only cures just as a little help to his pierce/magical atack, but I don't have any other idea than giving him cure for lesser balance because making thorns hurt more than some fireballs would feel less realistic. Maybe if you add to druid a bonus ranged atack which poisonous thorns atacks that deals less damage (posibly a 5-5 magical poison pierce bonus ranged atack)

Curious note: Falcon's lawful works a bit different than lawful day of time; 7-4 at day is raised to 8-4. Falcon does 8-4 during day time, while any other unit with 7-4 atack will deal 9-4. Rounding works diferent. Also at night falcon might be 6-4 instead of 5-4, but I think you want it to work like it similar to any unit with lawful daytime.

Well, let's continue with the faction revision at here:

Marashy
General observation: I did look that any unit on this faction has -10% pierce/blade/impact but +10% fire/cold resistances but their are balanced like if they did not have those weaknesses. Physical damage dealers are oftenly more cost efficent than mages type are, so I think that Marashy needs some revision at this point. General feedback would turn around to give +1 mele or +1 ranged damage to some units with alterated physical resistances. Also noticed that Marachy mages have arcane on lv1 but then fire or cold at lv2.

Marashy Adept level ups: Mantaining shadow wave proyectiles (but 9-2) still at lv2. And maybe 12-2 at lv3.
Marashy Guardian: bow damage +1 (5-2)
Marashy Bowmen: +1 mele damage (6-2); costs 2g more than loyalist bowman, sounds rasonable; and their 60% def at forest would justificate, but some archers will gain strong trait and will deal 9-2 at mele, needs revision this point.
Marashy Soldier: already has his bonus damage, glad he has 38 to compense weaknesses. Also try giving him a 5-2 impact mele bonus atack (shield).
Marashy Longswordsman: Mmmm... lower physical weaknesses. Looks fine to me, also try over him a 8-2 impact mele.
Marashy Swordsmaster: alright, but you can try giving him a 9-3 impact bonus mele too.
Possible sugestion: any impact atacker as new line to increase the variety of phyisical atack types (meanwhile, swordsmen doing some impact damage).

Rashky feedback:
Similar observations than Marashy, some of those changes could be added to Rashky as well.

Rashky Astronomist: try 11-3 impact magical.
Rashky Dimensionmage: he's defenetively overperforming Astronomers by having even teleport... He needs revision. First of all decrease movement to 5.
Rashky Timemage: obviously overpowered physical resistances! Try 10% to all phyisical (instead of 40%). A mage that has more tankyness potential than steelclads and dwarvish lords! Decrease movement to 5 or 6. Also a little nerf to mele to 5-3.
Trarashy Guards: he's another unit that is underperforming next to elvish hero. Try a mele of 8-4 and a health of 54 or 55.
Trarashy longbowman: +1 mele damage, underperforming at both hit chance and ranged damage next to elvish marskman, so a more solid mele damage at least.
Trarashy Sharpshooter: +1 mele damage and +2 ranged damage (elvish sharpshooter is 10-5 ranged marskman).

I will be back a next time later, I gift again some more balance feedback around other factions.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Thank you. I added the ability and gave it to the Falcontrainerline and the Dwarvish Forest Sniper.
IPS wrote:Curious note: Falcon's lawful works a bit different than lawful day of time; 7-4 at day is raised to 8-4. Falcon does 8-4 during day time, while any other unit with 7-4 atack will deal 9-4. Rounding works diferent. Also at night falcon might be 6-4 instead of 5-4, but I think you want it to work like it similar to any unit with lawful daytime.
Didn't notice. Thanks for the tip. I increased the multipier to 1.3. At day they have the damage they should have. At night the Falcontainer has 4-3 instead of 5-3. I can't change this, because otherwise the Eaglemaster would do 9-4 instead of 8-4 damage at night.
Keep those feedbacks coming, really helps improving the era.

Balanced Marashy & Trarashy. I also thought of a new unit for Marashy:
Marashy Monk: 34 hp,16 gold, 4-4 impact melee, 5-3 impact ranged (magical)
Marashy Warmonk: 48 hp,36 gold, 7-4 impact melee, 7-3 impact ranged (magical)
Marashy Zealot: 60 hp,58 gold, 10-4 impact melee, 9-3 impact ranged (magical)

Haven't uploaded the changes yet, bc I want to finish the images for the new unit first.