The Golden Age

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aldarisvet
Translator

Re: The Golden Age

Post by Aldarisvet »

Yea, I saw somewhere you wrote that you want your era to be a high-quality Ageless era.
Well, if you admit that you are ready to take all content of good quality and same time close to mainline style, I can say you missing a lot of stuff, too early to say it is hard to find more because you was not looking good enough.

Sometimes in different Eras some lines are of good quality and others of not so good.

For example - how about this:
http://units.wesnoth.org/1.10/Woods_Era ... ptain.html
and this
http://units.wesnoth.org/1.10/Woods_Era/en_US/Czar.html
(and another, Ranger branch of captain, is not so good)

Cool looking units (good frankens). Have you seen them?
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

yeah, but i am not sure what i should be doing with those though (well, it can be used as an outlaw with leadership, but i am unsure about finding a lvl1 for it :hmm: ), btw, if you have any more unit suggestions, i will gladly take a look :)
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

ForestDragon wrote: i am unsure about finding a lvl1 for it
Well, if you want to be like Ageless era, just took all, why cant something begin from lvl2 or just be alone level3 or 4? Mainline monsters do not have full lines at all but still they are mainlined, why you need full lines?

What I can suggest? There were so much of everything actually, I even do not remember. Try to search in Wesnoth database. I know its frustrating work :lol:

How about factionless monsters from Nightmares_of_Meloen?
http://units.wesnoth.org/1.10/Nightmare ... actionless

Amazing thing rotting in 1.10.
From the other side I think that main units of the faction, Black Cat, Life Thief, Howling Darkness are not good enough for mainline style. Scornful Watcher sprite looks better for me, however.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

well, i am a very picky about new factions (so no Chaos Empire, it's in almost every fourth era anyway), my high priority targets are:
1. UMC units for mainline factions/races
2. small races that can fit into mainline factions (but quality standards must be at least 1.8-ish, or even better if 1.12-ish (ones used in my era: faeries,salamanders,snow fairies,wisps))
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

0.2.6 is out! here is the changelog as usual:
added elvish mage (not usable yet), new sprites for Brigand and it's lvl2 (as well as some overall minor tweaks to the unit line),boars,lvl0 skeleton, lvl0 ghost, Monsters faction, fixed elvish adept's healing anim, new sprites for Zealot branch (since the advancement path looks strange)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

0.2.7 is out! changelog:
made Naiad line lvl2-3, added teleport anim for Eventide Dancer (it's beautiful, i can guarantee you :) ), portrait for Drake mage line,Rogue Knight branch (advances from Brigand), made a female variant for brigand
IPS

Post by IPS »

Well again doing a revision to the progress of the era, I found some issues about some new lv4 units:

1) Athvari has too much damage at both mele & ranged in their lines, sugestion is to make them Liminal (compare stats to Jundi line, will understand my point) also try the lv2 with 10-4 but Liminal.
2) Hurasch 75-1 is too abusive. This unit can kill a lv3 in one hit which makes it unatackable by most mele units even by lv3's. Consider that this unit has first strike on mele, try decreasing that mele damage to something like 55-1 which is still too strong (which is 69 damage at Day time!).
3) Elvish Juggernaut is a way too strong, even for lv4 standards. While his lv4 damages looks fine even for a lv4 (good hybrid damages) he gains marksman at both mele & ranged. A way much stronger than Elvish Sylph.

About other units of diferent levels and general coments on the era;
1) Pilferer looks too expensive next to thief, also he needs 2 kills to level up, while thief needs 3 to become lv2.
2) Dwarvish Ulfseker on this era has no lv2.
3) Troll Shaman looks a way underpowered. Try something like 8-2 mele and 8-3 ranged.
4) Raging Boar underperforms next to Thunderboar. Try increasing physical resistances of Raging boar by 20% to impact and 10% to blade and pierce. Also try nerfing Lightning damage from 15-2 to 13-2, it's magical and it's very accurate, also give Thunderboar a Fire resistance of 15% or 20% due it manipulates lightnings and would be rasonable.
5) Fire Guardian a way too overpriced. Try a price of 16 and maybe a little more of health due not even a lv2 (actually Fire avatar and Fire Guardian are not in the same unit line, fire avatar is meant to be fire guardian's lv2).

Well, that's all I have to say for now about the balance of the current version of The Golden Age.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

IPS wrote:Well again doing a revision to the progress of the era, I found some issues about some new lv4 units:

1) Athvari has too much damage at both mele & ranged in their lines, sugestion is to make them Liminal (compare stats to Jundi line, will understand my point) also try the lv2 with 10-4 but Liminal.
2) Hurasch 75-1 is too abusive. This unit can kill a lv3 in one hit which makes it unatackable by most mele units even by lv3's. Consider that this unit has first strike on mele, try decreasing that mele damage to something like 55-1 which is still too strong (which is 69 damage at Day time!).
3) Elvish Juggernaut is a way too strong, even for lv4 standards. While his lv4 damages looks fine even for a lv4 (good hybrid damages) he gains marksman at both mele & ranged. A way much stronger than Elvish Sylph.

About other units of diferent levels and general coments on the era;
1) Pilferer looks too expensive next to thief, also he needs 2 kills to level up, while thief needs 3 to become lv2.
2) Dwarvish Ulfseker on this era has no lv2.
3) Troll Shaman looks a way underpowered. Try something like 8-2 mele and 8-3 ranged.
4) Raging Boar underperforms next to Thunderboar. Try increasing physical resistances of Raging boar by 20% to impact and 10% to blade and pierce. Also try nerfing Lightning damage from 15-2 to 13-2, it's magical and it's very accurate, also give Thunderboar a Fire resistance of 15% or 20% due it manipulates lightnings and would be reasonable.
5) Fire Guardian a way too overpriced. Try a price of 16 and maybe a little more of health due not even a lv2 (actually Fire avatar and Fire Guardian are not in the same unit line, fire avatar is meant to be fire guardian's lv2).

Well, that's all I have to say for now about the balance of the current version of The Golden Age.
thanks, my responce to your suggestions:
lvl4s:
1)yeah, i was originaly planning to make them liminal too, but found them a bit too weak, how about this: liminal, ranged 8-4 on lvl2, 11-4 on lvl3, 14-4 on lvl4, deal? (he has good magic resists, and a decent melee for a mage)
2)i guess removing that new attack will do the trick just fine (the main attack's level transition is good: 15-2 > 15-3 > 15-4)
3)i guess removing marksman will be fine (to be honest, i threw it in there for no reason :P )
misc:
1).ok, how about 12 exp required, and 9 gold cost?
2)it's a bug, going to fix it in next release, thanks!
3)ok, i will make a duplicate unit with the mentioned stat tweaks (the mainline one was apparently desingned exclusively for in-cave fighting)
4)ok, i already gave him 20% fire resistance, going to nerf his damage now, thanks
5)ok, but i will make his price 17g (well, i already give some things to make him less crappy, like giving him ghost-like defense (except for some terrains), almost ghost-like resistances physical (40%), lava regen (just in case), and 100% fire resistance, so 16 is a bit too cheap (ghost's price is 20g)) also, thanks for the bugreport

thank you for your suggestions, it helps a lot (not many people have a good sense of balance, which you have), all of this will be released in the next update (which already includes a lot of small tweaks by itself)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

0.2.8 is out! changelog:
added AMLA for Black Knight, made terror ability not work on undead/other non-living things, added macro for fade/unfade TP anim, Evendite Dancer AMLA, nerfed Faceless Knight's regen, gave Brigand a 10% cold res., added some LorI code, made infect work now, tweaked the ogre line a bit, added Dwarvish Runecaster (opt. lvl3 from runesmith, can use runes in a lot of new ways), nerfed Thunderboar's ranged, removed the 75-1 melee from Hurasch, fixed Fire Guardian not advancing to Fire Warden, buffed Pilferer, removed marksman from elvish juggernaut
Lumen

Post by Lumen »

Hey!
Even if i am new to the forums i have been playing Wesnoth for years and i think your era is one of the best ^_^
Keep doing good job cant wait to see what next update is about :D
IPS

Post by IPS »

Was looking in 1.6 add-ons specially to show you an era I really loved in its times but that for some reasson all of those new units disapeared and no-one followed.

Give it a small look to Longbow era.

http://units.wesnoth.org/1.6/C/longbow_era.html
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Lumen wrote:Hey!
Even if i am new to the forums i have been playing Wesnoth for years and i think your era is one of the best ^_^
Keep doing good job cant wait to see what next update is about :D
wow, thanks ^_^ , about the next update, i am going to make a survival map that will come with the era (like those naval maps) if you are interested what the map will be about, here:
Spoiler:
if you have some spare time, we might play it. when i release the update, i'll pm you
IPS wrote:Was looking in 1.6 add-ons specially to show you an era I really loved in its times but that for some reasson all of those new units disapeared and no-one followed.

Give it a small look to Longbow era.

http://units.wesnoth.org/1.6/C/longbow_era.html
it's pretty good :) . well, corrupted and desert elves are already in some newer eras/campaigns and i have most new units that it has anyway (and full lines, to be specific) well, it kinda reminds me of TGA, in it's design
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

0.2.9 is out! changelog:
expanded dwarvish runecaster's amla, lvl3 fallen faerie spirit, added Corrupted Forest map (it's a survival map with a *garbled* at the end), and a few other minor tweaks, added Elvish Spirit line, nerfed Elvish spirit's phys. resistances to 40%, added Executioner (opt. from Swordsman), added Goblin Transport (three goblins on a single wolf), added lvl2 mudcrawler, a few tweaks to Shyde's lvl4 (renamed her, gave her a lvl5, replaced attack icons for ranged, and a new thorns projectile for them, switched their race back to faerie)
Lumen

Post by Lumen »

Yay i would be happy to try it with you :mrgreen:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

so, how about going into mp now?