The Era of Horrors 1.3.0 (Wesnoth 1.16 bugfix)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Deciton_Reven

The Era of Horrors 1.3.0 (Wesnoth 1.16 bugfix)

Post by Deciton_Reven »

The Era Horrors v1.2.4 for Wesnoth 1.16+

The Era of Horrors is actually a mixture of two eras and a campaign I had planned. One era was aimed at those dark/creepy factions. One era was aimed at making a set of factions for usage in an Ice Age of wesnoth. The campaign was about catgirls :3

Despite being v1.2.4 this era has had no testing, what-so-ever, so expect balance issues. Now on to the factions themselves.

Toy Box
Spoiler:
Neko
Spoiler:
Icadon/Kolbolts
Spoiler:
Lycans
Spoiler:
Undergrowth
Spoiler:
No faction has complete graphics (even for all the bases), but the huntress from the Neko has an animation.

Any bugs, feedback, general C&C, or love for any of the work is totally welcome. All the work code-wise and art-wise was done by me, except the tin solder line. Technically there is a seventh faction that is incomplete in this era...

Known Bugs
...None yet, but sure am expecting to find some with the new release

Balance Issue
...Unknown

Update log
Spoiler:
Last edited by Deciton_Reven on April 6th, 2022, 5:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Drakefriend

Re: The Era of Horrors 1.1.1 (Now with openning post!)

Post by Drakefriend »

The Wereapes do NO damage, the shown damage figure is 0-3, with 0-2 each for the range advancement.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

In the Neko unit names, you've misspelled "Familiar", "Disciple", and "Scholar". :) And "Lioness" in a unit that's not in one of the six factions. (Basing this on the online unit tree. Every one of your unit seems to have a broken image...)

Also, this may still be relevant:
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Spelling!

lycanthropecy -> lycanthropy
extention -> extension (though no-one'll ever see this so it probably doesn't actually matter)

Also, I'd recommend the second version of the image= though both will work equally well (I think).
EDIT: Also, "cheetah" and I'm guessing you meant "nagini" rather than "nagani", assuming the idea is "female naga" (which I can't really tell due to lacking an image). And "Naga Destroyer" and "Snow Leopard" are misspelled. I also see a misspelled "thistle", I think (currently it's spelled "thisile", which isn't a word). Also "Rogue Weed" is misspelled, and I'd consider changing "Weedling Unmovable" to "Weedling Immovable"... though my spellcheck claims they're both words, so maybe that's not important. Then in the toys there's a misspelled "Battalion", and "Athamine's Girl" is oddly not title-cased like all the other units. And I think "Surgen" should probably be "Surgeon". Capitalizing the middle W of "Werewolf" is a little odd. Having a level 3 Vampire Bat and a level 0 Vampire Bat in the same era is also kinda odd; maybe change the level 3's name? "Saboteer" should be "Saboteur", I think... though again my spellcheck accepts both. Finally, "Scirier" doesn't seem to be a word; perhaps you meant "Scrier"? Judging by what it upgrades to though, "Scrier" may not be what you wanted. If "Scirier" was a made-up word that just sounded good, ignore this last one.

As a final note, non-human units generally include the race in the unit name. So, for example, "Icadon Crafter" instead of just "Crafter", "Kolbolt Snagger" instead of just "Snagger", "Neko Witch" instead of just "Witch", and so forth. You've already done this for Undergrowth, and I think it's not needed for Toy Box or Lycans (since the former are pretty unique and the latter are humans at first and then more monster-like; monsters also don't usually get a race-name prefix). Um... "Cursed Regular" sounds a little odd. Maybe something more like "Cursed Peasant" or "Cursed Civilian" or something?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

I've no idea why the online tree shows no images... unless capitalization of files/folders break them online...

As for all the spelling mistakes, all of them have been solved (I think), including some not in your list, and the one that broke the Wereape line's damage. (I misspelled it "damag" >.>) Scirier has been changed to Scurrier, which isn't a real word, but means something like "one who scurries". (LAWLs @ me misspelling a fake word!) Lvl 3 Vampire Bat is know known as Vampiric (wait... spellcheck says that's not a word, but I know it is... >.>) Werebat, to avoid confusion. Fixed some odd capitalization. Added Icadonni and Kolbolt to their respectful unit names. I'm leaving off the Neko from units, and sticking with "Weedling Unmovable" for flavor reasons. Cursed Regular did sound weird when I read it from someone else's post, therefor, it is now know as "Cursed Conscript".

Also noteworthy: Added a "broken" ZoC to the level zero "Leaf Glider" unit, and made the, unrecruitable, "Nature Kitty" level up into the "Nature Cat" line. (Much like how the, unrecruitable, "Playful Kitten" levels into the "Huntress" line)
*This causes the "Nature Cat" and "Huntress" lines to show up under the Neko faction and the factionless sections.

All these changes will be included in 1.1.2, as soon as I have a good enough connection to upload it.

(As a side note, can anyone tell me whether I have to remove the old 1.1.1 version before reuploading, or will it auto-override with the newest version?)
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Deciton_Reven wrote:I've no idea why the online tree shows no images... unless capitalization of files/folders break them online...
Quite likely this is the case. Some filesystems are case-sensitive; you should make sure that the case used in the filenames is identical to the case used when referencing the files from .cfg files.
Deciton_Reven wrote:(As a side note, can anyone tell me whether I have to remove the old 1.1.1 version before reuploading, or will it auto-override with the newest version?)
It'll auto-override.

Note: If you give a unit a no-zoc ellipse, make sure you've explicitly specified that the units it levels up to have the normal ellipse, because otherwise they'll keep the no-zoc ellipse if they levelled up from the level 0 unit but have a solid ellipse if recruited directly.
Deciton_Reven

Re: The Era of Horrors 1.1.3 (Now with less spelling Miss St

Post by Deciton_Reven »

The Era of Horrors has bypassed 1.1.2 and is now 1.1.3! The full changelog can be found in the opening post or in the era itself.

(Changelog for 1.1.2/1.1.3)
Spoiler:
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Please tell me the current title is a joke.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Is it too subtle? I guess v1.1.4's title will have to be "Now with more obvious jokes!" ^.^

Really though there are a ton less spelling mistakes.

As a side note, does the online unit tree update automatically also? Because I thought I had fixed the problem with the images... and most of the factionless units should be removed/placed in the proper faction. I didn't even know we had an online unit tree so I don't really know how it works...
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

It does update automatically, but at seemingly random times. You'll have to wait up to 24 hours to see the fixes.
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Okie-dokie, thanks for all the quick replies!
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Quick update to v1.1.4

This update fixes some broken code that caused the era not to load correctly.
Deciton_Reven

Re: The Era of Horrors 1.2.0 (Overdue Gardenning Tips)

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Casually glances at last post

Ahead of schedule, alright!

Era of Horrors 1.2.0 is now available on the official wesnoth addon server for 1.12. The changelog for this version is as follows:

v1.2.0
Wesnoth 1.12 release. A few more spelling mistakes corrected, added images for The Neko Goldmane, Kolbolt Midnight, Nightmare, and Midnight. Improved the Neko Witch and Snow Leopard. The retro Weed graphics are all replaced by actual graphics. Capitalization fix so that Icadonni Officer could actually be chosen as a side leader. Weedling Thistle image path corrected, now you can see the poisonous little flower diloposaurs. Weedling faction icon is now a non-playble unit linked to their unique history.

Even though that second "Mindnight" should be "Taleweaver".

Also there was a v1.1.5 right after v1.1.4 that fixed additional code that was on the 1.10 addon server. Don't know why that wasn't posted here. shrug
Trayanee

Re: The Era of Horrors 1.2.0 (Overdue Gardenning Tips)

Post by Trayanee »

This looks interesting. I have installed your Era and will give it a try in the evening
Deciton_Reven

Re: The Era of Horrors 1.2.1 (Wesnoth 1.14 release)

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Just released onto the 1.14 servers as to be timely and punctual for our steamy brethren. Did about 2 hours worth of quick bug searching and squashing and you can find what I did in the changelog note below.

v1.2.1
Wesnoth 1.14 release. New bug fix: Kolbolt Scurrier race capitalization corrected. New bug fix: Faction leader extensions corrected. Old bug fix: Corrected several movetypes that gave 100% resistance on deep water making some units invincible on certain bridges.

Sorry I don't have any actual content for this update, maybe I'll pull some strings with myself and actually give Icadon some sprite art love so they can at least have advancements unique from the recruits.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: The Era of Horrors 1.2.1 (Wesnoth 1.14 release)

Post by Atreides »

Hi, nice era, I just started playing with it. As catgirls. Of course. :)

One major flaw is the lack of combat sounds for some units. The lvl0 Kitten is totally silent, you're not even sure it attacked! Same with many of the elephants.

Sound is the most important multimedia element. Graphics, animation, are fine to have but without sound it really affects gameplay.