Era of Darkness

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nightshayde

Era of Darkness

Post by Nightshayde »

second attempt at making something, now that i've worked out how to exclude default era units :)

Randomly, one day, The Shadowgate appeared, and through it came a host of wraith-like beings, called Shadows. Mutation began to spread throughout Wesnoth, with greater effects on the elves, dwarves, orcs and saurians, killing them almost instantly. This mutation was known as The Warping, and the men and drakes affected by it called The Warped, mindless beasts who attacked everything, even the Shadow. The Kaelin Empire (The remains of the human race) barred the gates of all its larger cities, leaving many people trapped outside with the Warped and the Shadow. These people who survived called themselves The Forgotten, and yet hold a grudge against the Kaelin Empire.

^Background info. This era is set after default, but still in Wesnoth. The Shadow faction is intentionally limited, but still quite powerful due all units except the mass of souls having 50% physical resistances. Just watch out for forgotten. Kaelin and warped will generally have a hard time fighting them, you'll need lots of adepts/spitters, for arcane/fire damage. Warped also need many spitters against Kaelin to get past most of the faction being armoredfoot. Forgotten have good access to fire damage, and may be a little powerful compared to other factions (only version 0.1)

Playtesting and feedback is appreciated. If you feel something is unbalanced (or if something doesnt work), tell me.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Attachments
Era_of_Darkness.zip
(376.39 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
Last edited by Nightshayde on April 3rd, 2012, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The great thing about the internet is you can make up a quote and say someone famous said it"
-Abraham Lincoln
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Era of Darkness

Post by Crendgrim »

In EOD_era.cfg you have the following macro:

Code: Select all

#define I8RANDOM_DEFAULT_SIDE
Also, in detect.cfg, there is the following:

#define ERA_OF_MAGIC_VERSION
I assume you copied things over from Era of Magic? I8_ is the prefix inferno8 uses for all of his work. You might want to change this to EOD_RANDOM_DEFAULT_SIDE (if you use the macro at all, I didn't delve that much into your code).
Also, the ERA_OF_MAGIC_VERSION definition should probably be ERA_OF_DARKNESS_VERSION. ;)
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

Crendgrim wrote:In EOD_era.cfg you have the following macro:

#define I8RANDOM_DEFAULT_SIDE
Also, in detect.cfg, there is the following:

#define ERA_OF_MAGIC_VERSION
I assume you copied things over from Era of Magic? I8_ is the prefix inferno8 uses for all of his work. You might want to change this to EOD_RANDOM_DEFAULT_SIDE (if you use the macro at all, I didn't delve that much into your code).
Also, the ERA_OF_MAGIC_VERSION definition should probably be ERA_OF_DARKNESS_VERSION. ;)
I did copy _main.cfg, detect.cfg, and EOD_era.cfg from EOMa (EOM looked more confusing), I'll change that next time I have access to a computer
"The great thing about the internet is you can make up a quote and say someone famous said it"
-Abraham Lincoln
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

10 downloads and only one reply...wow
There must be something that needs changing/ balancing

I'll admit, this was pretty much me bumping my own thread...
-Abraham Lincoln
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Be patient. One reply for 10 downloads already is a lot, even if it's only technical advice.
If people are trying this out, they need some time for it.

You can, however, make more people find this era by doing two things:
First, publish it on the add-on server (so it's easier for lazy people to install the era). Second, join the MP server and ask in the lobby whether anyone likes to try a new era. Maybe you're lucky and you'll find someone then. :)
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

Crendgrim wrote: You can, however, make more people find this era by doing two things:
First, publish it on the add-on server (so it's easier for lazy people to install the era). Second, join the MP server and ask in the lobby whether anyone likes to try a new era. Maybe you're lucky and you'll find someone then. :)
Okay, thanks for the advice. One problem:
I don't know how to upload to add-on server :|
-Abraham Lincoln
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

You need to create a _server.pbl file inside your add-on's directory. For more information about how to do so, see [wiki]Distributing content[/wiki] and PblWML.

EDIT:
In PblWML don't focus too much on the topmost paragraph, that one looks slightly outdated to me. However, everything below the table of contents should be fine. ;)
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

thanks again Crendgrim. Its now on the add-ons server! i am excite :D
-Abraham Lincoln
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

Shroud line for Shadows have attack animations done :)
-Abraham Lincoln