Free Goblins

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nightshayde

Free Goblins

Post by Nightshayde »

First ever attempt at making anything :D. It seems to work fine for me, but i'd like to get some feedback if anyone wants to try it out.
Warning: may be a bit unbalanced

edit: this is now the latest version
Attachments
Free_Goblins.zip
(173.1 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Last edited by Nightshayde on April 2nd, 2012, 7:33 am, edited 7 times in total.
"The great thing about the internet is you can make up a quote and say someone famous said it"
-Abraham Lincoln
The_Other

Re: Free Goblins

Post by The_Other »

Haven't played with them yet but I had a quick look through the files. The sprites are nice but could do with a bit more variety, however I realize that there isn't much to work with for an entire faction of goblins!
My first impression is that the Adept line might be slightly overpowered (same attack as the human Mage IIRC, and magical slow too), but playtesting may prove me wrong.

The absence of Wolf Riders seems strange and might cause a problem - without a fast-moving scout, the faction will struggle to get enough villages quickly, especially on larger maps where the enemy will reach them first. Some factions can survive this, but the goblins don't seem tough enough to survive being, potentially, outnumbered early in the game.
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

The_Other wrote:My first impression is that the Adept line might be slightly overpowered (same attack as the human Mage IIRC, and magical slow too), but playtesting may prove me wrong.

The absence of Wolf Riders seems strange and might cause a problem - without a fast-moving scout, the faction will struggle to get enough villages quickly, especially on larger maps where the enemy will reach them first. Some factions can survive this, but the goblins don't seem tough enough to survive being, potentially, outnumbered early in the game.
As to the adepts, I'll keep that in mind. I am not a very reliable play tester as i am terrible at the game
With the wolf riders, I will add them in...hopefully with some differences to mainline

thanks for the feedback :)
"The great thing about the internet is you can make up a quote and say someone famous said it"
-Abraham Lincoln
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

Also, having just tried to play with the faction, I have found errors in main.cfg and era_freegob.cfg - it's easy to fix though.
In both files you need to change every instance of the phrase 'Free-Goblins' to 'Free_Goblins' - until I did this, the era didn't work and prevented me from accessing multiplayer, as it was trying to retrieve files that don't exist. I swapped all the hyphens for underscores, and now it works fine.
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

Thanks
It worked fine for me, but this is why i asked for feedback
also, wolf riders will be quite weak, but with bows
-Abraham Lincoln
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

Have some wolves with thy goblins :D

also some bugfixes

edit: dont get this one, first post is latest version
Attachments
Free_Goblins.zip
(131.7 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Last edited by Nightshayde on April 1st, 2012, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Abraham Lincoln
alluton

Post by alluton »

Downloaded the file on the first post. There aren't wolf riders.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

alluton wrote:Downloaded the file on the first post. There aren't wolf riders.
Sorry, worded that wrong... i meant get the second one
-Abraham Lincoln
alluton

Post by alluton »

You could use only dl link on your main post so people woun't get confused.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

thanks for the advice, alluton.
I've done so
-Abraham Lincoln
francophone

Post by francophone »

alluton wrote:Downloaded the file on the first post. There aren't wolf riders.
They are on the second.

Nightshayde, many attack icon do not match.

I think you could add attack animations, with a still image of the unit, without too much difficulty. Look in the files of other units how to put a projectil, sound, etc.

Your level three haven't default AMLA, is it intentional or an oversight?

If this is not voluntary, adds a line : "{AMLA_DEFAULT}" after "advances_to=null".
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

francophone wrote:
Nightshayde, many attack icon do not match.
I know, this isnt finished and ill get to it as soon as ive gotten something else im working on to work (so very soon :) )
francophone wrote: Your level three haven't default AMLA, is it intentional or an oversight?

If this is not voluntary, adds a line : "{AMLA_DEFAULT}" after "advances_to=null".
an oversight, i'll fix that

edit:fixed, now in the first post
-Abraham Lincoln
francophone

Post by francophone »

They are not balanced. I think they should cost much less.
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

Yeah, I have to agree. They cost too much for how powerful they are, and because of the nature of the faction it doesn't make much sense to make them tougher, so unit prices should probably drop a bit.
Having played a few games with them vs AI, it seems that the Adept line actually isn't as overpowered as it first appeared. The Lurker, on the other hand...those guys are cool, but they seem a bit too good at their job!
Also, it might be a good idea to change the Adept's sprite - currently it looks very like the Spearman, to such an extent that it can be hard to tell them apart visually. Several times I sent a unit to attack, only to realize that it wasn't what I thought it was. I probably should have been paying more attention, but at the same time I think that units should be easily distinguished by eye.
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

thanks for the advice, I'll lower the prices (and make the lurkers weaker)

edit: everything save adept and lurker are a little cheaper, lurkers deal less damage/strikes and the lvl 1 has lost nightstalk. Lurkers also need more exp to advance

edit 2: Adepts now have hoods to help distinguish from spearmen
-Abraham Lincoln