Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) - now on GitHub!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sagez

Re: Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) - 1.8 is now OUT! NAVAL COM

Post by Sagez »

Thanks, we'll do something about that - after the EEaW Tournament ends - probably new version will be out in November.
We've also included the map that you've modified.
One thing hasn't changed: we need your feedback. I think that I'll start copy-pasting that phrase. Yes, we need your feedback.

As I said, we need your feedback to upgrade EEaW. What do you like? What do you dislike? We don't make EEaW only for ourselves and we need your opinions!
Eastern Europe at War Co-Creator viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34418
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
Transfermium

Post by Transfermium »

Made a slight analysis of EEaW from my experience.
http://e-war-4.boards.net/thread/4159/w ... nt-nations
Edit: Link dead
Last edited by Transfermium on August 16th, 2017, 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have not brought you freedom, I found it here among you.
-Gjergj Kastrioti Skanderbeg
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Man, you're awesome, you know? But I'll edit this post tomorrow and write more! :D
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Since you liked the one map ive tweaked gone ahead and made another one. This time its an 4player naval map with 2 players of each side sharing the mainbase like in 4pHamlets.
Please test it and say the word if needs any adjustments. attached to this post.
map picture resized 50% so can attach.
map picture resized 50% so can attach.
Attachments
EEaW_4p_Yet_Another_Lake.cfg
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
EEaW_4p_Yet_Another_Lake.map
(7.03 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

@ Transfermium - sorry for a late response, but here it is!
It's interesting that you're using winged hussars so much (2-3 units). They are very expensive and vulnerable to counterattacks. Most players don't recruit hussars at all. I personally prefer Armoureds (pancerni) over hussars.
I generally agree with almost everything and it's a good read. That's exactly what we, creators, want from players. A thoughtful analysis is always welcome!

Please try Cossacks some more, I would say that they are rather aggresive - they have probably the best infantry (while having the worst cavalry) which is also very fast - average footsoldier moves 5 hexes per turn, cossack infantry movement value is 6 and that's useful. Chaikas are also great and you can capture enemy ships with them. They are a lot better than tatar ships. But yes, Cossacks are good in defence (while Tatars are helpless during day). Cossack spearman is lawful and gets really powerful during day - this unit and the finnish Hakkapeliitta will get useful upgrades after gaining a level, check those upgrades out, so give them experience.
So EEaW still holds some secrets.

EEaW Tournament is going well and I've seen some really entertaining games so far, more to come!
You can download replays here:
http://www.wesnoth.com.pl/forum/viewthr ... rowstart=0

Thanks for your support, we need it to make EEaW more popular. Nothing is better than seeing people playing and discussing EEaW.

@ Eagle_11 - New map looks awesome, I like it. Maybe we will add it to the next version. You know what would be good? A map similiar to this, but with a middle-sized island in the middle, so players can fight for control over it (some villages). And you, Eagle? Which faction is your favourite?
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

but with a middle-sized island in the middle
then will try expanding it north-south by say, like 6-9 hexes, and then going to widen out the island in the middle so it becomes an sizeable enough chunk of land to fight over.

Austria because abundance of cannons, second comes Poland-Lithuania with its Hussars. Perhaps you'd be interested in adding late Teutonic Order/Early Prussia as another faction.

edit: Done stretching the map north-south to get an middle landmass into, doesnt seem like had been worth it. My intention was to produce an naval map, that island kind of ruined the intent.
Sadly anything further beyond this may require an total rework of the map as dimensions already became all too large.
If you ask my opinion first version should be far more playable, if you'd like to i can sink that tiny sand isle in the middle so first version becomes all open sea instead.
4p_Yet_Another_Lake_V2.png
also check those two, which i had made with the mod in mind:
download/file.php?id=72412&mode=view
download/file.php?id=72407&mode=view
Attachments
EEaW_4p_Yet_Another_Lake_V2.cfg
forgot to change the id=, fixed!
(1.62 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
EEaW_4p_Yet_Another_Lake_V2.map
(8.98 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
Last edited by Eagle_11 on October 11th, 2016, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Transfermium

Post by Transfermium »

Eagle_11 wrote: Perhaps you'd be interested in adding late Teutonic Order/Early Prussia as another faction.
Sagez already said that he won't make more factions pages ago, but a stand-alone German faction would be fun, and would let some battles in 17th century (e.g. Breitenfield) be modelled better.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Hehehe, Whole Europe at War addon would be awesome, don't you think? We'll see guys, we'll see.
We are planning some good stuff, don't worry! Our fuel is your feedback, more feedback=more energy & fun for us, then EEaW gets better, that's how it works.
What do you think about current naval combat? Do you find it fun? We may add ,,burning'' effect in the future.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

I suggested them since they were primarily active in the baltic area, so still falls under eastern europe.

Most games tend to be over real quick as units with charge and cannons who gain 60% cth on hills can deal insane damages to an single figure, thus once the leader is in reach for any of those units, an swift gameover unless Rng decides to interfere.
Perhaps for this mod you should convert victory objective into 'fight to death:an side loses if it has no figure remaining on the board (note: certain units such as lvl0's and transports dont count)' and then make an new leader promotable from any eligible lvl2 unit type in that faction's leader list when the original one has fallen, if that side happent to have lost it's leader.

Keepkiller is an nice concept but results can be often fatal, i think for the best can be reworked to convert the tile into 'damaged castle/keep' terrain, which would then give defense number of type flat instead type castle, on the first time the siege attack hits. when the siege attack hits on an damage castle tile it gets completely destroyed, leaving behind rubble.
Also can try adding some sort of pioneer unit for rebuilding castles from rubble, or restoring an damaged castle tile to castle defense number.

Can add an seperate 'conversion' attack to higher level Priest units that has flat 20% cth but converts the opponent to Priest's side if hits, like the Priests in Age of Empires.
Navy, well.. Ships tend to have 2 sides lined up with cannons, perhaps an bugshot cannon, and some more at the frontside. Ofcourse the intelligent option is to fire those facing the enemy vessel. Come 1.13.x there could be some more detailings here, can make larger ships have an weaker attack to retaliate when attacked from behind/front, depending on the unit's facing.
Transfermium

Post by Transfermium »

Winning objective: That may work as an alt version of Europe map. The leaders can be solved by using expendable leaders mod.
I agree that keepkiller is a little OP.
AoE conversions are not logical, and would make Russia very OP. AoE only worked because all nations had monks, and even then the Franks(Catholic) converting Italians(Also Catholic) is absurd.
I think flanking should have buffs, but that can be a stand-alone mod.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

@Eagle_11, @Transfermium - thank you for your support! :)
Eagle_11 wrote:Most games tend to be over real quick as units with charge and cannons who gain 60% cth on hills can deal insane damages to an single figure, thus once the leader is in reach for any of those units, an swift gameover unless Rng decides to interfere.
This often happens when playing against ai, which charges in 99% of situations. The great variety of units in EEaW allows players to use different kinds of tactics, rarely charge-based, most of them yet to be discovered. Thanks to the ongoing tournament we have discovered that some players tend to spam peasants and win by numbers instead of trying to reach and eliminate enemy leaders in early stages of a match. This kind of stockpilling tends to be extremely effective against certain factions and it is something we are trying to fix. The point is, we try to balance EEaW excluding ai completely. Ai does not matter to us due to its predictible behaviour. Of course you can play against ai and these kinds of matches can be very entertaining, but the full potential of EEaW can only be seen in real matches with real players.
Eagle_11 wrote:Keepkiller is an nice concept but results can be often fatal, i think for the best can be reworked to convert the tile into 'damaged castle/keep' terrain, which would then give defense number of type flat instead type castle, on the first time the siege attack hits. when the siege attack hits on an damage castle tile it gets completely destroyed, leaving behind rubble.
Your proposal has been already implemented. Now when a Siege Cannon hits a target behind castle walls, that castle hex will become its "damaged" variant. Defense number is still the same though. The next time the Siege Cannon hits the same spot, the castle hex becomes completely destroyed. This works only for standard castles. Other types of fortifications are completely destroyed with the first hit. I do not consider it OP, because Siege Cannons are extremely fragile and moving them close to enemy lines can be considered as a great achivement.
Eagle_11 wrote:Come 1.13.x there could be some more detailings here, can make larger ships have an weaker attack to retaliate when attacked from behind/front, depending on the unit's facing.
That's a very interesting idea. I am going to discuss it with Sagez.
Eagle_11 wrote:Perhaps for this mod you should convert victory objective into 'fight to death:an side loses if it has no figure remaining on the board
This is something we are planning to implement in the future. The next major release will include a powerful (in my opinion) feature - "options". You will be able to enable/disable certain modifications of gameplay like for example: toggle recruitment of ships, ban peasants, new victory conditions, turn off/on destruction of keeps, transportation of units using boats and many more.
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Tournament is almost over and the new EEaW version will come out very soon, bringing you new game modes.
And a lot of balance changes.
I won't spoil anything, but it's going to be BIG.

B I G

<3
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Eastern Europe at War 1.9.0 - 1.9.2 has been released

Presenting you game options and modifications as well as better balance. You can combine options with other options in order to get the best EEaW experience.

For example disable level 0 units and toggle No Spam mode if you want to have a dynamic game with very different units. My favourite mode is the Pillager mode where the player gains money whenever he/she captures a village. It makes villages even more important, so be prepared for long sieges and bloody battles fought over them. Disabling the passive income from the villages is also an option. This opens various new possibilities.
For navy fans, we have full fleet option that lets the player recruit every available ship of his faction.
You can also limit the number of your recruits or make recruitation impossible after some turns.
And try our Boss mode as it will make each end-game more dramatic.

We've also reworked the medical units.
Cannons now stun the enemy. If the enemy remains alive after getting shot he will no longer have zone of control and can't block any advancement.

There are a lot of balance changes. Complete changelog in Polish:
http://www.wesnoth.com.pl/forum/viewthr ... post_29552
(unit's names are in English so you will know which unit is now cheaper/more expensive or more or less powerful)
If you have any questions please ask.
Visit wesnoth.com.pl if you want to easily find EEaW players, we speak English.

Musical illustration (Belorussian song with the excerpt from Zbigniew Herbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daaLAYrFO04

repeat old incantations of humanity fables and legends
because this is how you will attain the good you will not attain
repeat great words repeat them stubbornly
like those crossing the desert who perished in the sand

Have fun and please leave some feedback!
Transfermium

Post by Transfermium »

Sagez wrote:Eastern Europe at War 1.9.0 - 1.9.2 has been released

Presenting you game options and modifications as well as better balance. You can combine options with other options in order to get the best EEaW experience.

For example disable level 0 units and toggle No Spam mode if you want to have a dynamic game with very different units. My favourite mode is the Pillager mode where the player gains money whenever he/she captures a village. It makes villages even more important, so be prepared for long sieges and bloody battles fought over them. Disabling the passive income from the villages is also an option. This opens various new possibilities.
For navy fans, we have full fleet option that lets the player recruit every available ship of his faction.
You can also limit the number of your recruits or make recruitation impossible after some turns.
And try our Boss mode as it will make each end-game more dramatic.

We've also reworked the medical units.
Cannons now stun the enemy. If the enemy remains alive after getting shot he will no longer have zone of control and can't block any advancement.

There are a lot of balance changes. Complete changelog in Polish:
http://www.wesnoth.com.pl/forum/viewthr ... post_29552
(unit's names are in English so you will know which unit is now cheaper/more expensive or more or less powerful)
If you have any questions please ask.
Visit wesnoth.com.pl if you want to easily find EEaW players, we speak English.

Musical illustration (Belorussian song with the excerpt from Zbigniew Herbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daaLAYrFO04

repeat old incantations of humanity fables and legends
because this is how you will attain the good you will not attain
repeat great words repeat them stubbornly
like those crossing the desert who perished in the sand

Have fun and please leave some feedback!
Yes! Finally!
Sagez

Re: Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) - 1.9 is now OUT! GAME MODE

Post by Sagez »

EEaW has reached over 5000 downloads, thank you!