I have two ideas. Which is better?

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Imperios

I have two ideas. Which is better?

Post by Imperios »

Hello again.
I an planning to make a campaign or an era, and I have two ideas. First is making an era out of Wesnoth, with factions based on fiction of me and my friends. Main features will be major differences between factions and global abilities which use gold. For example, there will be Ar-Klith faction, which units have massive ranged damage output (its level 1 shooters will have 18-2 piercing attack) but are weak in melee and have very low amount of hitspoints (same shooters will have 16 hitpoints); as well as global abilities such as a sniper shot which can damage any enemy unit seen by player. Other faction, Shiarchon, will be composed solely of level 2+ units which forces the player to actively conquer villages, as well as ability to summon weak temporary units to the battlefield.
Second idea is to make a campaign for Khalifate connected with HttT and kinda based on Dune.
Which idea is better?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: I have two ideas. Which is better?

Post by Velensk »

By what criteria do you want them evaluated?
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Imperios

Post by Imperios »

I mean: which idea is better to suit a new creator?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

To be honest I see major problems with both but the campaign seems safer.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Imperios

Post by Imperios »

What are the problems? Oh... The Khalifate campaign is already being made so most likely I will make an era.

(said era should be used with fog of war obviously)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

That would be a horrible mess to balance even with fog of war and some of the things you mentioned would indicate to me that you probably don't have a whole lot of experience with wesnoth dynamics. I'm not talking about the sniper specifically but rather just about everything you mentioned. I may be wrong, but I do have quite a bit of experience with these things.

The problems I see with the Khalifate campaign is that the Khalifate are constantly being updated and thus you might have to rebalance everything again at the end.
Imperios

Post by Imperios »

What I wrote is just a concept. Said things will be different then.
About mechanics... Yeah, my experiences of Wesnoth are mostly from easymode campaigns only.
Imperios

Post by Imperios »

Okay so... Is the global abilities idea nice?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

In the first few posts of the 'Era of Courage' thread I give a talk about knowing your goals before you start projects, you may wish to look at it. Making eras is not easy work and you should really know why you're doing it before you invest all that energy. I would also suggest that if this era is supposed to be for multiplayer, you get some experience with multiplayer before you start coming up with ideas.

Global abilities comes with a few inherent problems and generally cannot be implemented gracefully requiring right click menus and such. That said I see no reason why they cannot be made to work (and indeed I've seen them work in such places as the Era of High Sorcery) however throwing them into a era as would be used in standard multiplayer without reckoning is more likely to make things less fun than more fun. For example, your sniping ability would likely require you to reevaluate your era because it breaks several core dynamics in wesnoth (units cannot be attacked if they cannot be reached, damage a unit can take is limited by number of hexsides it can be accessed from, in order to attack you must move next to the enemy). These dynamics all serve important purposes in making wesnoths battles tactically interesting and easier to balance. You could refit everything for the new dynamics you create but I think you'll find that it will not be easy to make it both balanced and fun.

Incidentally, for such small additions to your dialogue, edit the previous post rather than double posting.