Khalifate gameplay thread (feedback on balance and bugs)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

powershot

Re: Khalifate feedback thread

Post by powershot »

How come the Jawal unit holds his bow in the air, I think that could get tiring.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

Personally I don't think that the Khalifate faction fits in with the rest of Wesnoth. They just don't seem high fantasy enough to me. Plus their resistances are weird. I have no issues about religious stuff or anything. They just don't seem like default material. OTOH I think it would be cool to add a new era in that contained none of default and was only non-default factions. Something maybe more mundane that the Khalifite would fit into. I think Default is perfect the way it is. That's just my 2 cents.
ohidar

Post by ohidar »

I agree with Sarudak. They're extremely unbalanced and small and disgusting and racist and NO.
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

ohidar wrote:racist
Did you notice that currently you are the one who's being obsessed with the fact that they've middle-eastern style? :annoyed:
ohidar

Post by ohidar »

Horus, tell me how long you've been playing Wesnoth.
And I don't know what you mean by that. Anyways, Eastern people will be offended and so will many other people.
@ "We don't need those people" argument
Mostly valid, but not all the way. And the more players, the better- They'll tell their friends and maybe they're fun and cool and smart.
So yeah.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

ohidar wrote:They're extremely unbalanced and small and disgusting and racist and NO.
..... :annoyed:
ohidar wrote:Horus, tell me how long you've been playing Wesnoth.
This is completely irrelevant to anything at all being discussed in this topic.

I recommend that you go back and read similar threads on this topic. If you can't bring up a new and significant point that others have not already considered, then posting about them again will not change the decision that has been made.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
powershot

Post by powershot »

powershot wrote:How come the Jawal unit holds his bow in the air, I think that could get tiring.
I'm still confused, is his stance a leadership thing or something, cause doesn't have leadership.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

Sarudak wrote:Personally I don't think that the Khalifate faction fits in with the rest of Wesnoth. They just don't seem high fantasy enough to me. Plus their resistances are weird. I have no issues about religious stuff or anything. They just don't seem like default material. Khalifite would fit
bingo. why have this new human faction? so far, a great deal of real world stuff has been smuggled into wesnoth under the code names of 'orc' 'undead' 'masked dwarves' and that was cool. but having a blatant muslim faction is kinda like trying to match up wesnoth with terra. why can't the faction just be packaged easier? they are bulky, awkward, and not fitting in with tolkein/dnd fantasy theme, and a bunch of devs brain storming could come up with something that wouldn't offend everybody. including me.

high fantasy forever!
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Everyone who thinks that the Khalifate are somehow derived/related to this/that thing in Earth's history has got it wrong.

"Khal" is in Khalifate, so obiviously it was inspired by Khal Drogo and the Dothraki from A Song of Fire & Ice/Game of Thrones :P :lol2:
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Having alternate human cultures is somehow anti-high fantasy?

Either your mind is slipping examples or you've missed a large number of rather good ones.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
em3

Post by em3 »

@Boldek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southrons#Haradrim
Haradrims, Easterlings,... Middle-earth contained more human cultures than these of Gondor and Rohan...

EDIT: Which is beside the point, as Wesnoth is neither Middle-earth nor Forgotten Realms...
ride on shooting star
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

Lord of the rings is not high fantasy.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

(This is getting really off-topic) If LoTR ain't High Fantasy, what is? It,s basically what settled the genre! D&D is High Fantasy, then? Because of course there is a single human culture in D&D. Yep, only a single human city of caucasians in Forgotten Realms.

Anyway, as others have said, this is beside the point: Wesnoth is not D&D, it's not LoTR, and nobody said it had to be high fantasy (Although i fail to see how this disqualifies it for the genre).
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Sarudak

Post by Sarudak »

Lord of the Rings is low fantasy because magic is rare and not generally available to the common people.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

In an attempt to prevent a pointless arguement, many different people have many different ideas what the various sub-catagories of fantasy mean.

Many people consider LotR High Fantasy because they judge by the general themes, scale, and attitude.

I have no idea what definition Boldek was using but even if you discount LotR (and Narnia), there are plenty of high fantasy (by most definition) settings that have a great variety of human cultures (and a few that have a variety of cultures for the other races) including a few that would look by costume to be muslim.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."