Khalifate gameplay thread (feedback on balance and bugs)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The Black Sword

Re: Khalifate feedback thread

Post by The Black Sword »

Another little replay for those interested. The name pretty much says it all :twisted: .
Attachments
2p_-_Howling_Ghost_Badlands_replay.gz
ULFS!
(16.71 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Noticed two irregularities in Trunk (1.9.8+svn) for the Khalifate

Khalid needs 200 XP to earn a AMLA (Everything else is set at 150 unless...)

Rasikh needs 40 XP to earn a AMLA (...going for an easy healing effect?)

Are these intentional?
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

SigurdTheDragon wrote:Noticed two irregularities in Trunk (1.9.8+svn) for the Khalifate

Are these intentional?
I find the Rasikh's issue quite strange. It should be set to 150.
The Khalid is very powerful, so I think that was intentional...
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:
SigurdTheDragon wrote:Noticed two irregularities in Trunk (1.9.8+svn) for the Khalifate

Are these intentional?
I find the Rasikh's issue quite strange. It should be set to 150.
The Khalid is very powerful, so I think that was intentional...
correct. Khalid is level 4 so it's at 200 xp for now. The Rasikh issue was a bug, thanks for pointing it out! It's now fixed in trunk.

Trunk is now up to date with all current Khalifate changes (I.E. from the 1.8 addon), so all that stuff will go into the next development release.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Not that I really care or that it really matters since AMLAs are mostly insignificant (in mainline, that is, and save perhaps for healing), but I thought it was a convention that all AMLAs were at 150 exp. IIRC, Archmage is a lv4 and his ALMA is 150, not 200, and that unit is plenty powerful. In the same line of thought, Javelineer (or worse, Soulless and plenty others) have 150 xp AMLAs at lv1 or 2, yet following your reasonning, their AMLAs should require less xp since their level is lower/they're less powerful?

But as said, I don't really care and it's not that important, just sharing some thoughts.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Dixie wrote:Not that I really care or that it really matters since AMLAs are mostly insignificant (in mainline, that is, and save perhaps for healing), but I thought it was a convention that all AMLAs were at 150 exp. IIRC, Archmage is a lv4 and his ALMA is 150, not 200, and that unit is plenty powerful. In the same line of thought, Javelineer (or worse, Soulless and plenty others) have 150 xp AMLAs at lv1 or 2, yet following your reasonning, their AMLAs should require less xp since their level is lower/they're less powerful?
Indeed, this also bugs me too. Why should every unit no matter what level have to gain 150 XP to AMLA? Maybe we sould change the AMLA XP cap to match for the level of the unit?
Suggestion for an AMLA formula: XP to AMLA = unit level x 25 +50
So a lvl 0 need 50XP to AMLA, lvl 1 need 75XP, lvl 2 need 100XP, lvl 3 need 125, lvl 4 need 150, lvl 5 need 175.
R.I.P
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well you've deformed what I said a bit, I didn't really intend this to become an AMLA revolution. Although I have no objections against either, ming you.

Anyway, this is highly theorical (and probably off-topic), but I feel that 150 was a good middle ground for lv3. I think 200 for lv4 would be ok, so following that calculations, 100 for lv2 (which seems ok?) and 50 for lv1 (this one does seem a bit low, though). And 250 for lv5, but how often do you get lv5s anyway? Does there absolutely need to be a standard calculation? I'd have thought 75xp for lv1 is good, and either 100 or 125 for lv2... Then let the 3 last go 150, 200, 250?

On the other hand, having a standard 150 xp cap was generally a clear message (especially at low levels) that giving further xp to that unit would be mostly wasted. Because seriously, how good is an AMLA when you could make about 3 lv1 into lv2s with that xp instead?

Oh well, anyway :P
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Yeah I guess I did misunderstand you a little. :-P

I think it'll come down to decide which is better: to have a formula (or pattern) that will decide what AMLA cap for each unit levels or a fixed/standard cap at 150 likes you said.

First choice: I think this is a fairer choice, depend on what level that unit is, there will be an AMLA cap to make sure every unit get an equal chance to AMLA. A pretty high AMLA cap for each level will make sure players won't give XP to max level units.

Second choice (current): Like you said, this will discouraging player to feed XP to an unit already max level. But IMHO a 150 XP cap will be too much of a burden for low level units (e.g. Goblin Impaler and Goblin Rouser), they lack the power to gain many XP without getting killed or badly wounded, while high level units will have an easy time gaining many AMLAs (namely the Great Mage). And AMLA is more useful for low level units than high level ones (although AMLA is less useful than normal advancement for sure).
R.I.P
ohidar

Post by ohidar »

Er.. this isn't such a good idea, David & crew..
I have been playing Wesnoth since 1.2 (yes I'm that old and no 1.2 is not folklore) and I sincerely and honestly think that we should rename the Khaliphate to something along the lines of "Kumai" or "Jumai" or whatever.
This is going to prevent many players from coming- those who have been phazed by 9-11, Islam, Christians, maybe even Buddhist, Hindu or-GASP- Shinto.
The reason I bolded, italicized, underlined and -GASP-ed Shinto is because that's the main religion of Japan. Japan has smart, creative minds. We need more of those.
So yeah, I pretty much think that the Khaliphate are going to screw up our playerbase though I personally don't mind them (Christian).

Don't tase me bro!
Don't tase me bro!
Don't tase me bro!
Don't tase me bro!
soul_steven

Post by soul_steven »

why must this topic keep coming up time and time again? This is like saying we shouldnt make world war 2 based gun games like call of duty because it will offend the people who fought in the war... Seriously its a fantasy based game and I do not understand why people are getting so uptight about this.
ohidar

Post by ohidar »

I'm not getting uptight, I'm just trying to keep other new players from raging about it on the forums.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Let them rage. We can do without people who are so full of themselves as to get upset by that kind of thing.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
enchilado

Post by enchilado »

I still can't see how anyone could possibly find it offensive.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

soul_steven wrote:why must this topic keep coming up time and time again? This is like saying we shouldnt make world war 2 based gun games like call of duty because it will offend the people who fought in the war... Seriously its a fantasy based game and I do not understand why people are getting so uptight about this.

It's not even that. It's like saying we should be offended by all Germans, all German food, all Germanic words, all things even tangentially German forever because a few Germans went batcrap crazy way back then.

And those sorts of posts are going to start finding themselves magically disappearing.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Gambit wrote: It's not even that. It's like saying we should be offended by all Germans, all German food, all Germanic words, all things even tangentially German forever because a few Germans went batcrap crazy way back then.
Samurai and Ninja´s stuff should also be avoided.... they attacked Pear Harbour! :P
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II