XP Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dovolente

XP Era

Post by Dovolente »

I've really liked itota's Survivalmod of Nosmos's classic 3- and 4-player survival scenarios. It allows players in those scenarios to spend a unit's xp on upgrades for hp, damage, or strikes, and it charges higher upgrade prices for drain-attackers. The upgrading option makes decisions about leveling more interesting, and it also makes max-leveled units more interesting. :)

I've put that same upgrade functionality into an era (itota wasn't interested in doing so), so it can be used on other scenarios.

The era will likely be expanded in the future with more factions--it just has default currently. I'll also consider expanding the upgrades available.

The upgrade prices are obviously going to seem better or worse depending on the scenario and the settings used--but I think they'll work OK with the default settings of many survival-type scenarios. :) .
itota

Re: XP Era

Post by itota »

thank you very much, Dovolente!
i am very glad to see this era. nice work :D

please include the attached japanese translation in the next upload.
thanks in advance.
Attachments
translations.tar.bz2
translations/ja/LC_MESSAGES/wesnoth-XP_Era.po
translations/ja/LC_MESSAGES/wesnoth-XP_Era.mo
(1.65 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

Thanks. I'll do that.

A question: is there a way to allow description of a menu item (the text shown in the menu) be translated? I tried using _".." for that but it just put an underscore with the text.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I don't have a lot of experience playing around with translations, ut I think it is possible.

See this example from the wiki:

Code: Select all

difficulty_descriptions="&" + "units/elves-wood/elvish-fighter.png~TC(1,magenta)" + "=" + _"Fighter" + "=" + _"(easiest)" +
	";*" + "&" + "units/elves-wood/elvish-hero.png~TC(1,magenta)" + "=" + _"Hero" +
	";" + "&" + "units/elves-wood/elvish-champion.png~TC(1,magenta)" + "=" + _"Champion" + "=" + _"(hardest)"
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
BlaZeElemental

Post by BlaZeElemental »

Hey! I just tried out your era fast. It was quite fun and compact. As a suggestion for possible upgrades: upgraded resistance, new weapons/spells, and increased movement. Anyways, it's a fun little era. Good job making it!
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

Version .2, which includes japanese translations, is now up on the add-ons server. Thanks again itota.

re: dixie, thanks for the tip. I think my problem is trying to pass the _"....." in a macro--that doesn't seem to be working, even if I wrap it in parenthesis.

re: BlaZe, thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure about new weapons/spells anytime soon--but movement and resistance (maybe to a 50% res max) will probably be in the next version.
itota

Post by itota »

Dovolente wrote:A question: is there a way to allow description of a menu item (the text shown in the menu) be translated? I tried using _".." for that but it just put an underscore with the text.
pre-processor seems to take effects before gettext is executed. please read #4 of the 1st post in this thread.

by the way, when someone click the See XP Era Information and the help window appears, the window is shown in other players' displays too.
this will be fixed by changing

{XP_ERA_MESSAGE $side_turn}
to

{XP_ERA_MESSAGE $side_number}
(i tested the code on MP server)
Dovolente wrote:but movement and resistance (maybe to a 50% res max) will probably be in the next version.
sounds interesting! i look forward to playing the next version :)