Archaic Era (BfW 1.18)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fog_of_gold

Re: Archaic Era 0.9.0 (for BfW 1.8)

Post by fog_of_gold »

doofus-01 wrote:It's for 1.8
Are you so nice to upload it into the 1.6 server, too?
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Archaic Era 0.9.3 (for BfW 1.8)

Post by doofus-01 »

I don't have 1.6 and lack of internet access makes getting all of the dependencies straightened out & downloaded a real pain. There's a chance the era could work on 1.6, I don't remember all of the WML changes. But I can't test it and don't want to upload something blindly.

1.8 will come out soon, 1.7.12(aka1.8.beta5) is basically stable. You could probably find the factions in Ageless Era.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

doofus-01 wrote:But I can't test it and don't want to upload something blindly.
Before you upload it in the server, you could upload it here and then I'm able to test.
doofus-01 wrote:You could probably find the factions in Ageless Era.
Yes but it isn't the latest version.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

fog_of_gold wrote:Before you upload it in the server, you could upload it here and then I'm able to test.
Here is a link to it through the web interface. There is no super fancy code, so it might work on 1.6.
http://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.8/Archaic_Era.tar.bz2
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

Yes, it works, if I change all 'add-ons' to 'campaigns'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got an idea of a unit of the phantoms:
phantommage:
It's got a special named 'soulrage'. It's nearly like plague but it'll wake up the same unit killed with other stats. (I'd suggest -75% hitpoints, -50% damage, +10% to resistences pierce, crush and blade and of course trait 'undead' together the animation, which will turn the unit from normal to nearly invisible)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

That's an interesting proposal, it would give a symmetry with the Khthon. Maybe the birds can fill that role...
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

Oh and by the way: It would be better to make a trait named 'Phantom' instead of using 'Undead'. As far as I know, it should be possible to include now the animations.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

doofus-01 wrote:That's an interesting proposal, it would give a symmetry with the Khthon. Maybe the birds can fill that role...
Aha, since I read the descriptions, I know, what you are talking about. Your Khthons have troubles:
-I needed a lot of time to understand, that they are able to tranzform, make an dummy ability or better a marco to explain this
-This didn't work, if I understand right (a Khthon will tranzform after an attack, if it's hitpoints is above 15)

My suggestion is diffrent to your race, because they'll tranzform after their near-dead and my suggestion is a more complex plague
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

fog_of_gold wrote:-This didn't work, if I understand right (a Khthon will tranzform after an attack, if it's hitpoints is above 15)
They are supposed to transform the opponent if they are under 15 hitpoints. As if they are moving on to a new host because the current one is about to die.

There are many problems with that Khthon scheme that I will never get worked out without a ton of artwork and balancing. That's why I made more of the animals, to try to sweep that flaw under the rug. But I have another idea that will replace the various snake people: Just one special unit that can initialize the plague-like effect and the afflicted enemy units have some modification to their stats but otherwise keep their original unit type and advancement. I'll probably have time to work on it this weekend.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

[quote=fog_of_gold wrote:]
-This didn't work, if I understand right (a Khthon will tranzform after an attack, if it's hitpoints is above 15)
They are supposed to transform the opponent if they are under 15 hitpoints. As if they are moving on to a new host because the current one is about to die.[/quote]
That doesn't work, too.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.9.5 went to the server. Changes mostly concern the khthon. I got rid of the snake people and gave the higher level beasts an attack that has a low chance to hit, but turns the opponent into a khthon if hit. It's probably too powerful, maybe there should be a penalty for using it.

The other factions are mostly untouched.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Archaic Era 0.9.5 (for BfW 1.8)

Post by Zerovirus »

Perhaps the Khthon should gain a new attack at 15 or below hitpoints? Something like "Infect, Ranged-impact ##-1" would work.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

Yes, would be a good solution. I think, 15 hitpoints shouldn't be the limit, the limit should be 10% of max_hitpoints. What you could do, too, is to make a ghost after dieing, which's got hight resitences, but low hitpoints and a weak attack named infect(3-1, defense_weight=0). You could also make these ghost recruitable. But at the moment, they are too weak. You need more than 6 attacks in average to turn an enemy into your. Don't forget, that the enemies aren't sleeping. But don't allow vector against leaders and higher leveled units. There should be a chance of maximum 25% and not only available for high leveled units. Maybe your last version would be more balanced, if your current corpse go to the enemy it came from. If you recruited them, you might choose a random unit of the defender's side and turn the side to them.
Edit:
Tranzformed units are able to attack
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Zerovirus wrote:Perhaps the Khthon should gain a new attack at 15 or below hitpoints? Something like "Infect, Ranged-impact ##-1" would work.
A conditional filter such as that is probably the way to go. The old system had a low HP condition because the Khthon died after it transformed the opponent, but that is no longer the case. So that particular condition doesn't really fit thematically, to my mind at least. Maybe the opponent should have the low hitpoints (weakened immune system or whatever) for the attack to work.
fog_of_gold wrote:Tranzformed units are able to attack
Sorry, I do not understand.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

doofus-01 wrote:Maybe the opponent should have the low hitpoints (weakened immune system or whatever) for the attack to work.
I'd prefer without so we haven't got just another complex plague.
doofus-01 wrote:
fog_of_gold wrote:Tranzformed units are able to attack
Sorry, I do not understand.
If you tranzform units with 'vector' to your side and ther's a (now) enemy unit near, they'll be able to attack.