Archaic Era (BfW 1.18)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Archaic Era (for BfW 1.12.x)

Post by doofus-01 »

1.5.2 has been uploaded to the BfW server. I put a little more work into Menagerie faction, added a unit line. Otherwise, not much new.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.5.3 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server. Some balancing to menagerie faction, nothing earth-shattering. I think that faction could use some more circus-like characters, but that will need to wait for another update.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.5.4 has been uploaded to BfW 1.12 server. There were some minor changes to menagerie faction, which are meaningful for campaign Trinity, but probably do not matter much for MP.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.5.5 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server. There were some minor adjustments to the bugs and goo in menagerie faction, as well as a portrait for the Blue Machinist (and a crappy placeholder for the Engineer). Khthon faction's Katoblepon-Magnum has an advancement, Ker-Kato. It needs more work, but it's there for now. I wish to give all the Khthon a level 4, eventually.

That's all, that I remember at least.

EDIT: I thought of something. Archaic Resources has been updated, there were some terrain improvements.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.6.0 has been uploaded to BfW 1.12 server. There were some reorganizations & additions to Primeval and Khthon factions:

- Primeval:
1. added a weaker level 1 primeval that advances into the spear-carrying skirmisher, and removed that branch from the Slowfoot.

2. added a level 4 to the protector line.

3. Updated some of the sprites, most noticeably the Gyre Striker, for whom I removed the animations, since they are outdated (and that's an example of why I'm in no rush to get the animations done).

- Khthon:
1. Added a Duck line, which is primarily intended as their flying, all-terrain scout, so it's not very powerful.

2. Branched the turtles and toads.

3. Added a level 4 wolf unit.

I'll amend what I said in my previous post about giving every line a level 4: I'll give every large animal line a level 4, but not the frogs, ducks, and turtles.

This is a starting point for re-balancing, to the extent that anything was ever balanced. Revisions will be needed, and there may be mistakes. We'll see.
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

Looking into Menageries faction for first time...

Cyborg spam is damn OP, they're too strong for a L1 unit. The unit looks like some better L2 (see the 7-3 melee backstab with also strong plague). The ranged attack qualifies even as main attack for L1 unit. Make this unit L2, make a weaker L1 (4-3 melee without assimilation, 7-1 ranged), assimilation would produce this type of unit instead. This needs a HUGE nerf as cyborgs are facing other L1s in MP.

Blue Novice: overshadowed mainly by Drones (ignoring the damn OP cyborgs). Change the ranged to 5-3 and decreade the cost by 1 I'd say. The Machinic's line looks that their melee is too strong (11-2 would be enough)

Drone: Another very OP unit. Was it intended to be something like Drake Burner? I'd remove the weapon specials (this unit looks good against everything except Drake Burners and Drakes aren't in Archaic) so I'd nerf the attacks too (like 5-2 and 18-1). Appropriately for L2&L3.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Battlecruiser_Venca wrote:Cyborg spam is damn OP, they're too strong for a L1 unit. The unit looks like some better L2 (see the 7-3 melee backstab with also strong plague). The ranged attack qualifies even as main attack for L1 unit. Make this unit L2, make a weaker L1 (4-3 melee without assimilation, 7-1 ranged), assimilation would produce this type of unit instead. This needs a HUGE nerf as cyborgs are facing other L1s in MP.
I think I shall get rid of them as a recruit-able unit in MP. I will replace them with something not yet created.
Battlecruiser_Venca wrote:Blue Novice: overshadowed mainly by Drones (ignoring the damn OP cyborgs). Change the ranged to 5-3 and decreade the cost by 1 I'd say. The Machinic's line looks that their melee is too strong (11-2 would be enough)
I had nerfed them because they were overpowered, maybe went too far.
Battlecruiser_Venca wrote:Drone: Another very OP unit. Was it intended to be something like Drake Burner? I'd remove the weapon specials (this unit looks good against everything except Drake Burners and Drakes aren't in Archaic) so I'd nerf the attacks too (like 5-2 and 18-1). Appropriately for L2&L3.
It wasn't really supposed to be like any particular unit. Maybe a cross between horseman and dwarf thunderer. I'm not sure how much I want to nerf them, maybe I can make them more expensive.

Thanks.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.6.1 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server. I've made some adjustments to Menagerie faction:
1. Reduced Machinist/Engineer wrench attack damage, increase their dager damage.
2. Replaced Cyborg recruit with Lesser Wind Daemon. Cyborg is still available via "assimilation". LWD seems a little overpowered, but its movement is restricted and it is not cheap, so it may be OK. Playing the AI with Menagerie (Me) vs Khthon (AI), I got in trouble if I didn't restrict recruiting to the Mech Drone, Mech Scout, and LWD - and I really needed LWD. I don't think I would have beaten a human opponent. So just nerfing the LWD is not a good plan, need something more.
3. Changed available leader list so that Defender is replaced by Machinist, because Defender was too fast, but Machinist still has "assimilation" ability. Looking at drone, I don't think it is as OP as Battlecruiser_Venca makes it out to be. The drone is weaker and more fragile than Horseman, so "charge" is a curse in many cases, and while drone spam would be bad news, I don't think it's possible in most MP at 20g each, for such a fragile unit.
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

I meant that the problem with drones is HUGE attack damage both on melee and ranged. Therefore you can attack just anything against its weak point as not many units are both strong in melee and ranged, so you can attack without getting much damaged from counterattacks (and then you can use your cheap L0s to cover up). I think that the drones are big problem for a less mobile opponent.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Uploaded 1.6.2. The changes are mostly graphics, it's a minor update. I'm still thinking about the Mechanical Drones.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.0 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server. There were some very minor updates to the Despair and Menagerie factions, but the biggest change, and why I bumped the version to 1.7.x, is the overhaul to the Orcs faction. The Northern Orcs are now a new faction, not a variation on the mainline Northerners. The stats probably need adjusting, but I think it's at least in a good starting place right now.
z5x1

Post by z5x1 »

New sprites orcs look great, but the faction needs work. I like your orcs :)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

z5x1 wrote:New sprites orcs look great, ...
Thanks!
z5x1 wrote:... but the faction needs work.
Care to expand on that?
z5x1

Post by z5x1 »

I think I need to add a scout and archer. Draw a new troll (entire line) and goblin lvl0. They are on the background of your look bad
doofus-02

Post by doofus-02 »

Fair enough. I've uploaded version 1.7.1, it has some changes that address that:
- There's a new unit line, "Slinger", which is in place of archer.
- I've replaced the goblins, the level 0 is the mainline goblin, with a new base sprite. The rouser is also replaced by a "drummer", I'm not sure the ability really works though.
- The Oxrider and Cave Rider got more movepoints, I don't think there needs to be an "Orcish Scout" unit - that would be boring.
- The Drifters are now neutral instead of chaotic
- The trolls have been removed. Maybe I'll think of something to replace them some day, maybe not. I don't think the faction needs them, but I could be wrong.

And there seems to be some problem with my regular account, sometimes I think I'm not the only one using it...