Archaic Era (BfW 1.18)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Archaic Era (for BfW 1.10.x and 1.11.x)

Post by doofus-01 »

1.4.4 has been uploaded to the 1.11.x server.

1. The biggest change is that the phantom faction was updated. The fake units no longer die if a countdown is reached - that whole idea wasn't very intuitive, so it has been removed. To keep them from being too powerful, they should die if they are hit on offense or defense (it used to only be on defense). Also, the mummy is no longer a full unit line, but is like Walking Corpse.

2. I got rid of the keep terrain-changing feature.

3. Added some more fluff.

---------------------------------------------
The problems that I know of:

- The AI doesn't know anything about the fake units. This should be possible to correct, but I didn't have time to figure it out for this release.
- The sprite for the Level 2 sword-dancer is too big.
- The fluff strings don't all add up to a coherent story yet.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.4.5 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.11.x server. There were some graphics changes to primevalists, and minor additions to primevalists and despair. All in all, not a major update.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

Two bugs I noticed:

If a unit levels into another unit after being hit with the petrify attack it will become the new unit and not be petrified. If however it is at its max level and stays the same unit when it levels, it will be petrified.

The Rockback is missing the code to change into its shell and back.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

(Earlier, deleted post) Thanks, mnewton1. I will try to fix this for this weekend.
-------------------------------------

And I've uploaded 1.4.6 to the BfW 1.11.x server.
mnewton1 wrote:The Rockback is missing the code to change into its shell and back.
That is now fixed.
mnewton1 wrote:If a unit levels into another unit after being hit with the petrify attack it will become the new unit and not be petrified. If however it is at its max level and stays the same unit when it levels, it will be petrified.
This is not yet fixed, it wasn't clear to me that this is a bug with the era, or a feature of Wesnoth. I can work it out either way, but not this time.

There were some other minor updates. One of them is that Ukian Commander has different AMLAs, which means nothing for MP (does that even matter?), but it should be good for Bad Moon Rising.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've uploaded 1.4.7 to the 1.11.x server. It's not a major release, but there were some small, incremental improvements to some sprites and animations.
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

Noticed another bug. The Terrapin_Hiding is level one while the base unit is level zero.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Whoops. Thanks for letting me know. I should probably also make the other xxxx_Hiding things have no ZOCs while I'm there.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.4.8 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.11.x server. There was some progress with portraits & animations, mostly in south-seas faction.

The biggest change however, is the (problematic) khthon vector attack. Now, it is active if the khthon has less than 12 HP. If it hits the enemy, and the enemy isn't undead or some certain other things, the original khthon dies and the enemy becomes khthon. I've given khthon names (somewhat dumb ones for now) which also get transferred to the possessed unit, so hopefully the whole idea works more intuitively and obviously now. The old WML was also kind of idiotic and sometimes caused lags, but all that should be cleaned up too.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.4.9 has been uploaded to the 1.11.x server. (And Archaic Resources version 1.0.5 has also been uploaded). There were some bug-fixes and minor graphics updates. It's a maintenance release, nothing dazzling. Archaic_Resources has some improvements on the steel-plate terrain.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.4.10 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.11 server. There are some minor fixes, such as death animations for Phantom Shades, sound files for the Ukian Dogs, and ellipses for level 0 units.

The biggest reason for this release is because of the BfW 1.11.7 bug explained here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 04#p562804
So, some attacks that are not supposed to be available on offense currently are available. (I tested and even with attack_weight=0.00001, the AI chose the "defense only" attack. Of course, the human player can choose it too.) This will be reverted once BfW 1.11.8 is out, but for now, at least the game shouldn't crash as often.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.4.11 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server. There were some minor graphics updates, but the main thing this update does is fix some issues between Khthon and some units in campaign Trinity, as noted in the posts around this one: http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?p=568823#p568823
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

shouldn't be better if enthrallment was an ability instead of a trait? It looks that it's a dummy trait, because even Khthon units without the trait (the ones captured by vector) can enthrall
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Battlecruiser_Venca wrote:shouldn't be better if enthrallment was an ability instead of a trait? It looks that it's a dummy trait, because even Khthon units without the trait (the ones captured by vector) can enthrall
I've revised this a few times, and think it used to be an ability, but don't remember why I decided on trait. It may be because the enthrallment events are tied to race, so a "must have" trait for the race made some sort of sense. Also, it's not quite a dummy: it makes them unplagueable.

I suppose it might be good to use "enthrallment" to give attacks a dummy weapon special, and to insert the trait into "captured by vector" units... I'll try to revisit this for the next release. Thanks for the suggestion.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I just uploaded 1.4.12 to the BfW 1.12 server. I changed how the khthon enthrallment and vector attacks are distributed and shown (though they function the same way), I think it is less awkward now. I uploaded a new version with just this one change because it will impact the campaign Trinity, which I hope to update in later today.

The enthrallment is still a trait, now called "netherworld spirit", and it provides: 1. a dummy weapon special for making thralls. 2. the vector attack. The new name sucks, but it's what comes to mind for now, and is maybe less confusing.
Battlecruiser_Venca

Re: Archaic Era (for BfW 1.12.x)

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

Some problems about playability on mainline maps:

Ukian faction can't enter deep water at all. This allows forcing draw in larger patches of deep water if opponent leader can reach deep water (which majority Archaic Era factions can do). This can be abused for example on Fallenstar Lake at 21,16.

Despair can enter impassable, including some leader units. This could be most obviously abused on map Aethermaw.

Note: In MP maps are expecting, that no one can reach impassable, some factions can reach unwalkable (but not all of them, so every unwalkable hex must be able to be attacked from "walkable" terrain). And every mainline faction can access deep water.

I think that giving deep water movement to Ukian dogs and runners + disallowing impassable movement for despair in MP could fix those problems