The Yōkai

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Melon

Re: The Yōkai

Post by Melon »

Neoskel wrote:Sounds like public enemy number one. "If you see one, Killit! With fire! A lot!"
It becomes an especially frightening unit if you're playing against either devlings or in a mirror match. Both the Devlings and the Yokai have a penalty to arcane damage and it just so happens that the Onryo deals exactly that. The 30 damage attack is enough to kill most basic level 0 units in a single hit. What's more, is that due to the fact that all devlings and a better chunk of the Yokai are chaotic, they can't really hurt it during the day, and if attacking at night they'll get treated to an additional 25% worth of damage. I shudder to think of how strong these guys can become if someone makes a campaign with them in it.

The "Kill it quickly and kill it with fire!" strategy is actually pretty much the best way to play against the Yokai in general. The key to victory against the Yokai is to never split your forces. Hit them once and hit them hard.

From what I've seen the factions that tend to preform the best against them are the ones that can make strong defensive formations and fight well in the mountains. Knalgans, Northerners, Windsong and Elementals tend to preform the best, while factions such as the Undead and the Devlings tend to preform the worst.
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

Melon wrote:Version 1.05 is here.
This one's a pretty small update:
-Added the Onryō, an alternative upgrade for the Poltergeist Musician. Onryō are vengeful spirits that grow in power as they slaughter their foes. For every enemy they kill their damage gets boosted by an additional point. Their alignment shifts to chaotic.
-Poltergeists had their arcane resistance lowered down to -30
-Swarms also had their arcane resistance dropped to -30
PLEASE make sure you MaTCH cAsE in the cfg and filenames, there are file systems not so idiotic to be case insensitive...
Melon

Post by Melon »

lu_zero wrote:PLEASE make sure you MaTCH cAsE in the cfg and filenames, there are file systems not so idiotic to be case insensitive...
Sorry but due to the sheer inferiority of my windows operation system, The game does not give me an error message, so I have no honest clue as to what capitalization I may have missed.
I've already spent a fair bit of time matching the capitalization over the past few releases. I've changed everything that I can spot, and if there is anything that I may have missed, you will have to tell me exactly what and where it is.

In the meantime here's 1.06:
-Kodama, an alternative promotion to the Shroomling is introduced. They possess the unique ability to decrease the damage of all adjacent units, regardless of weather they are friend or foe. They also receive a slight speed boost and shift their alignment over to neutral. Kodamas will probably be the last new unit this faction will receive.
-Shroomling and Swarm Spawns will require a slightly lower amount of experience to advance a level.
-Some resistances have been slightly tweaked.

Again for those of you running Linux or whatever: Unless I know what the problem is, I cannot fix it. I've checked the filenames and the code several times and failed to spot an mistake. If Wesnoth gives you an error when you try to run it, try taking a screenshot of the message it gives you and posting it in this thread.
Last edited by Melon on March 28th, 2008, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elerias

Post by Elerias »

Still looking forward to see some more lvl 3s. Especially weaver and spriggan. I know u said u have lvl 0s so max lvl 2 is enough but in some rpg/surv games it will be nice to have lvl 3s. It cant harm the faction for sure and it may help in some ways considering EOM is heavily used in this type of games.
JW

Post by JW »

Hey man, I'm not the guy to be looking at for approval for inclusion anymore for the EoM. I've totally handed dit over to Velensk (and hopefully an svn collaborative effort), so any pleadings should be made towards him.

Also, I was wondering what is the unit description for the girl with the innertube?
Melon

Post by Melon »

JW wrote:I was wondering what is the unit description for the girl with the innertube?
Welcome back JW.

Most of the Yokai Pixies and Faeires can only be found during the winter and fall. When the temperature gets warmer they crawl into a dark place and hibernate until the seasons change. Some of the pixies however prefer to stay awake over the summer. As a result their icy wings melt away completly to the point where they will no longer regenerate. These mischievous fey become known as the Nixies, who unlike the Faeires prefer to play during the summer and sleep during the winter. Though Nixies love swimming, they are not very good at staying afloat and if not for their inner tube they would probably sink like a rock.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Melon wrote:
JW wrote:I was wondering what is the unit description for the girl with the innertube?
Welcome back JW.

Most of the Yokai Pixies and Faeires can only be found during the winter and fall. When the temperature gets warmer they crawl into a dark place and hibernate until the seasons change. Some of the pixies however prefer to stay awake over the summer. As a result their icy wings melt away completly to the point where they will no longer regenerate. These mischievous fey become known as the Nixies, who unlike the Faeires prefer to play during the summer and sleep during the winter. Though Nixies love swimming, they are not very good at staying afloat and if not for their inner tube they would probably sink like a rock.
priceless.

EDIT: just wondering, how do I get these guys? Are they on the add-on list (didn't see them there <_<) or what?
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Melon

Post by Melon »

Thrawn wrote:Just wondering, how do I get these guys? Are they on the add-on list (didn't see them there <_<) or what?
For the time being, the Yokai are an unofficial faction in Era of Myth. If you wish to test them out, download EOM from the addons and the zip archive from the opening post of this thread. Afterwards just follow the instructions in the OP to install the faction.
You won't be able to play it online however.
Melon

Post by Melon »

Elerias wrote:Still looking forward to see some more lvl 3s. Especially weaver and spriggan. I know u said u have lvl 0s so max lvl 2 is enough but in some rpg/surv games it will be nice to have lvl 3s. It cant harm the faction for sure and it may help in some ways considering EOM is heavily used in this type of games.
I'm very leery about giving these guys level 3 units, since having low level caps for their troops is a major part of the flavor and balancing for this faction. That being said, unless I have a very good reason to do so I will not extend their current unit tree any further in that direction. The idea here is not to make superunits, but rather to have a swarm of quickly promoting low-level troops with many branches to their upgrades. I realize that not everyone likes this sort of gameplay, and if you don't then this faction is not for you.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Melon wrote:
Thrawn wrote:Just wondering, how do I get these guys? Are they on the add-on list (didn't see them there <_<) or what?
For the time being, the Yokai are an unofficial faction in Era of Myth. If you wish to test them out, download EOM from the addons and the zip archive from the opening post of this thread. Afterwards just follow the instructions in the OP to install the faction.
no problem. Thanks!
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

Melon

Post by Melon »

Neoskel wrote:Its just that seeing a 'little kid in an inner tube' killing vampires and shapeshifters will be more than a little weird...
Attachments
Nixie.png
Nixie.png (91.99 KiB) Viewed 4398 times
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

:lol2:

If i was drinking something while looking at that you'd owe me a new keyboard.

:lol2:

I can live with them having a kid in an inner tube. :D
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Wow they are so fun to play as <_< >_>

If I wanna crush people, 2v2 dev/yokai vs [insert losing team here] with xp at 30%

lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

Melon wrote:
lu_zero wrote:PLEASE make sure you MaTCH cAsE in the cfg and filenames, there are file systems not so idiotic to be case insensitive...
Sorry but due to the sheer inferiority of my windows operation system, The game does not give me an error message, so I have no honest clue as to what capitalization I may have missed.
Sorry for being an ass, I'll try to produce a patch for it once you'll attach an update.
balmung60

Post by balmung60 »

Melon wrote:
umm, I can't seem to find the file that you mentioned.