The Yōkai

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Melon

Re: The Yōkai

Post by Melon »

binaryquasar wrote: LOL erm I mentioned a unit I downloaded and played many times before posting... here is what I mean.. leaving aside the abilities and other frontal tactical points do you want them to be strategically the same.. ergo .. mass lvl 0 units and overwhelm your foe.. I do not suggest whether or not this is a good thing what I am asking is if you are planning on keeping them this way.

and more importantly.. if you are how do you resolve the balance issues brought up before.. which always seem to come with such races ??

these are questions not challenges. you have not done anything wrong I just want you too think more about it.
At this point the strategy for playing this faction will remain roughly the same. But rather then just overwhelming your foe with sheer numbers, the strategy for playing the Yokai is much more centered around finding the right balance between the cheap and the expensive units (unlike the Devlings, the Yokai have access to 3 level 1's and 4 level 0's).

Since the faction is quite unique, it does indeed pose a relatively big challenge as far as balancing the units is concerned. Though I've already played with the unit balance a fair bit myself and released several patches that addressed the various flaws and faults, to get more conclusive results I will need more playtester feedback.

I do however consider the current release to be at the very least mostly balanced. Just like it is for most of the other factions out there it is all a matter of who the Yokai play against. For example, it was stated earlier in the thread that the Yokai tend to be pretty good against the Devlings, however if you play them against the Elementals you will have a tougher time then Devlings would against the very same enemy. This sort of rock-paper-scissors gameplay is usually an inescapable reality in tactical games of any sort.
Melon

Post by Melon »

1.04 patch addresses a few fixes in regards to traits.

-Pixies had their health dropped by 2 hp and lost some melee power in exchange for a weak ranged attack.
-Poltergeists, Weavers, Pixies and Changelings may now spawn with the "dexterous" trait.
-Poltergeists will now posses only one trait but gain immunity to poison, plague and drain.
-Swarms will now have no traits at all but gain immunity to poison, plague and drain.
-The Witches flying sprite has been updated.
-Unit name have been changed around a bit.
Last edited by Melon on March 28th, 2008, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melon

Post by Melon »

(There was a post here, it's gone now)
Last edited by Melon on March 28th, 2008, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Good times?
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Melon wrote:
Neoskel wrote:Get rid of the inner tube on the nixie.
No. Never. Don't ask me again.
It looks nice, but I still wonder what it is supposed to be / to be used for.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Shadow Master wrote:It looks nice, but I still wonder what it is supposed to be / to be used for.
Well, since its a water unit, it looks like is one of those "air balloons?" that are used as helpers for little children when they are learning to swim :p

On spanish, the word is "Flotador" dunno on other lenguages.

The sketch is lovely, it shows an emmisary? from the windsong, one of the celestial angels, the devling nailers?, the fire/lava elemental?, and the vampires bloodhulk. A Really nice sketch indeed containing the major factions inside the EoM era (tought there is no wargs ;))
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Vendanna wrote: The sketch is lovely, it shows an emmisary? from the windsong, one of the celestial angels, the devling nailers?, the fire/lava elemental?, and the vampires bloodhulk. A Really nice sketch indeed containing the major factions inside the EoM era (tought there is no wargs ;))
He missed out on the Therians too, but i remember him saying somewhere that he doesn't really like those two factions, so its understandable.

@melon I guess you're really in love with that little inner tube. But still, an inner tube? In a fantasy setting?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Neoskel wrote:@melon I guess you're really in love with that little inner tube. But still, an inner tube? In a fantasy setting?
Don't question the author. :roll: It is called artistic freedom. That's why we can have cold-blooded creatures that spew out cold attacks... or something like that. Never mind.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

@Shadow Master

You're right of course. Its just that seeing a 'little kid in an inner tube' killing vampires and shapeshifters will be more than a little weird...
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Neoskel wrote:@Shadow Master

You're right of course. Its just that seeing a 'little kid in an inner tube' killing vampires and shapeshifters will be more than a little weird...
Really?

Part 1
Part 2

I've seen worse :mrgreen:
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Shadow wrote:
Neoskel wrote:@Shadow Master

Really?

Part 1
Part 2

I've seen worse :mrgreen:
I laughed myself to tears when the angel dude pulled out those ridiculous swords... :lol2:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Shadow wrote:Part 1
Part 2
Did... not... understand... a... thing.

I'm seriously getting old too quickly; now I can't even try to understand manga. :hmm:
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Shadow Master wrote:
Shadow wrote:Part 1
Part 2
Did... not... understand... a... thing.

I'm seriously getting old too quickly; now I can't even try to understand manga. :hmm:
Dick though the guys page and you'll understand.
I actual avoid anime and Manga like the plague, yet I like this kind of humour.
Melon

Post by Melon »

Version 1.05 is here.
This one's a pretty small update:
-Added the Onryō, an alternative upgrade for the Poltergeist Musician. Onryō are vengeful spirits that grow in power as they slaughter their foes. For every enemy they kill their damage gets boosted by an additional point. Their alignment shifts to chaotic.
-Poltergeists had their arcane resistance lowered down to -30
-Swarms also had their arcane resistance dropped to -30
Last edited by Melon on March 28th, 2008, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Melon wrote:Version 1.05 is here.
This one's a pretty small update:
-Added the Onryō, an alternative upgrade for the Poltergeist Musician. Onryō are vengeful spirits that grow in power as they slaughter their foes. For every enemy they kill their damage gets boosted by an additional point. Their alignment shifts to chaotic.
Sounds like public enemy number one. "If you see one, Killit! With fire! A lot!"