Era of Magic (EoMa) 4.6.2 - now on Ko-fi!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cretin

Post by cretin »

can someone tell me where i can figure out how i get this installed manually (1.3 branch) since its not on that server
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

cretin wrote:can someone tell me where i can figure out how i get this installed manually (1.3 branch) since its not on that server
Simply copy the era_of_magic.cfg and the era_of _magic folder into the 1.3 userdata file.

If you dont have the files in your 1.2.8 userdata, the go into the add-on server and download it
cretin

Post by cretin »

hmm weird i thought i did that, but when i started up wesnoth it wasnt there.
Gena

Post by Gena »

:D :D :D wow you made this era????!!! wow :shock: this era is great ! but i dont see why a minotaur is in the dark elf facion part from that wow :shock: this era is brilliant especially the dark masster i think the lvl 4 warlock units is great!!!!!
binaryquasar

playtest first impressions

Post by binaryquasar »

okay first off let me tell you that you have made a fine era I truly enjoy playing it with that in mind some constructive criticism

first the sun silver warrior has a typo causing it to crash going to lvl 3 the fix is change the advance to in the units cfg file to Kharos-SunGoldenwarrior

currently it says Kharos-Sunsilverwarrior .. easy fix

okay some gameplay issues

first off.. the lvl 2 and lvl 3 units are very fragile or barely gain power .. ergo on the whole they gain on average maybe 5-10 hp a lvl making them pretty easy to kill after all that effort I suggest adding more hp

with that in mind I like how they advance power wise except for 2 units

the Disciple goes from 7-3 cold to 13-2 cold very little power different and removing one strike really hurts.. maybe add another strike?

the lvl 3 sun golden warrior has the following attacks 8-3 melee holy and 12-2 ranged holy.. this makes it officially the weakest lvl 3 unit I have ever seen needs a massive buff...

okay more specific unit issues

the shielder has steadfast.. and is obviously meant as a tank.. however steadfast DOUBLES resists UP TO 50% ergo if I have 20% fire resist it becomes 40% however the shielder has all 0% resist except for 40% holy resist so on defense 0 * 2 = 0 aka you have a very weak unit with relatively weak resists and only average dodge for it to be a usable unit you need to set resists to something.. I would say the lowest should be 10% similar to the knalgan guardsman.. with increasing resists as it levels

the sun whitewarrior has problems throughout t costs 19 gold so you need more than just teleport to make it useful.. it lacks the power needed to be a capable unit.. needs a buff... the lvl 4 of this tree is wonderful but its nearly impossible to get it... :(

last thoughts... the enlightened ones need a tank of some sort

You have gone through huge amounts of work with this era and I have very much enjoyed testing it the changes I suggested should be relatively minor taking at most a few minutes so don't let the amount of text I typed get to you :)

thanks again for your hard work keep it up
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Thanks binaryquasar! :) By your advice I have changed some aspects. Dark Wizard strikes 3 times (9-3), Golden Warrior (8-4) Shielder has real steadfast, White Warrior cost 18 (instead of 19 - I haven't changed his attacks because of his teleport ability which makes all sun warriors VERY fast - you should check it playing 60x60 map or bigger) and all 2 and 3 lvl units have 4-6 hp more. Version BETA 2.0.2 is ready.
shindale-lionheart

mages need more power

Post by shindale-lionheart »

:? The era is good, but the mages need a little more power, maybe they should have a dragon on their team Twisted Evil THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!!
It could start out as a wyrmling, and level up to either a silver dragon (wich attacks with ice) or a gold dragon (wich attacks with fire)
Laughing That would be great!!! :lol:
binaryquasar

technical details

Post by binaryquasar »

okay a few technical details.... you removed most of the copywrited material but you missed a few things.

first off the sealing animation for the guru still looks like a FF animation I suggest changing it completely to be on the safe side also the golden warrior holy attack also looks a bit familiar I suggest replacing that as well lastly you may wish to check over all your images again just in case.

a very good era in all I enjoy it.. shouldn't be too much trouble working out the last few kinks..

If you want I suggest replacing with some of the default animations for 1.3.19

they are most excellent :lol:
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: technical details

Post by inferno8 »

binaryquasar wrote:first off the sealing animation for the guru still looks like a FF animation I suggest changing it completely to be on the safe side also the golden warrior holy attack also looks a bit familiar I suggest replacing that as well
FF? You mean Final Fantasy, right? I have never played it. The sealing animation is completely my idea. The Golden Warrior holy attack too. I think I have broken the law without knowing it! So, what should I do now? :?
binaryquasar

what next

Post by binaryquasar »

the thing is they resemble those animations if they are not rip offs its fine although I would suggest changing them a bit.. as long as they are yours all is okay and you didnt break any laws or anything in particular the tetrahedron is a common enough symbol that it is easy to mistake it as belonging in one game or another.

as long as they are your work dont worry about it :)
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic

Post by inferno8 »

Ok. New version (Beta 3.0) is available now. It is full compatible with Wesnoth 1.4. I have made some new, better graphics and recruit animations for Alchemists. Also I have changed Golden Warrior holy attack.
If you have any suggestions, you now what to do :wink:
The Era is ready since 23 March.
Last edited by inferno8 on March 24th, 2008, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

When it's on 1.4?
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Version Beta 3.1 is ready ( there were a few bugs - Shielder, Protector and Regenerator had a problem with a 2nd attack, Golems had no attack images, Alchemist were too weak ).
I would like to finish my Era, but it needs a few corrections, so I need your help.
Tell me what do you like or dislike in the Era of Magic and what things should be fixed/changed.
That's all. :)
Creator of Era of Magic

binaryquasar

Post by binaryquasar »

good to see era of magic on the 1.4 server :D

a few suggestions I have many simply aesthetic in nature.

the first suggestion is regarding the enlightened ones faction... they need a dedicated water unit for larger lvls with a lot of water.... the priests have no trouble since their warriors move very quickly on any large map... and the other 2 factions have their respective water units..

the next suggestion is regarding the 3rd lvl fire mage for the enlightened ones.. you know the one with the huge aura.. I find the aura to be a tad intrusive :o to the point of making it difficult to see my other units within it. It may be wise to either make the aura a lot more transparent or to shrink it to the normal size for auras.

oh and I have always had trouble with the guru.. it is not a power issue so much as a logic issue... the preceding unit mastermage I beleive has 4 different attacks with a veriety of elements.. the guru has only 2 and its ranged attack is impact... it does not make sense to me that he would suddenly forget all the training he had before. perhaps you could simply make him a more powerful mastermage? and replace one of the mastermages attacks with the sealing attack?

okay now on to the shameless praise :D I love the new animations for many of the units and I enjoy the diversity between the races.. already they have a decent amount of balance and over time and tweaking could get even better... I like the dark aura a lot and the other creative specials such as no counter attack. could you perhaps be more specific in the definitions? instead of saying makes enemies fight worse.. perhaps say by what percent it reduces their attacks.

thats all keep up the good work :wink:
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

According to your suggestions I have changed that huge aura and definitions (Beta 3.1.1 is ready :wink: ).
Water unit for Enlightened ones? The Mage of Water and the Master of Water. These two units walk on water (like on grass), but the problem is that these units are lvl 2 and lvl 3. Saying, they need a water unit you probably mean a lvl 1 unit. I can't create a new one because of number of recruitable units for each faction (Enlightened ones - 7(!), Priests - 4(only) - it would be unfair). I think about changing an Elementalist's movement. :hmm:

The Guru... :?
It may be quite strange, he replaces his elemental attacks with one (impact). The main idea was, the Mastermage integrates his elements, creating a super powerful sealing spell. It's type of attack can't be fire, cold or arcane. The best is energy, but it would be a lot of work with new damage type. So I have chosen "impact".

What should I do with the Guru?
Creator of Era of Magic