Era of Magic (EoMa) 4.6.2 - now on Ko-fi!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Vendanna

Re: Era of Magic v4.1 - with idle animations

Post by Vendanna »

inferno8 wrote:Thank you very much. I am so happy, that you appreciate my hard work. I tried to create something diffrent from other eras and now I know: I did it :wink:
Its looking interesting and I think it is needed to tell you that it looks impressive work (did you did it alone?) especially refreshing to see animated units, and some effects are very nice I enjoy the teleport animation from the white warriors.
Do you have any questions, suggestions or "constructive criticism"? :wink:

Era of Magic is now on 1.5 server. Thanks Vendanna :)
Thanks for uploading it to 1.5 so I could play it a bit, one thing I noticed is that slicers doesn't have any amla, so they never show the experience bar, nor gain any benefit for killing hundred gobbos.

Between, yours seems like the first dual wielder that has different attacks animations, to not get repetitive/boring.

The clerics seems to have a very expensive scout (the 23 gold charge horseman) tough once they start to get the edge with villages, they can mount an awesome offensive with their teleport, probably best on huge maps, but on small ones could have problems. (didn't tested it all)

At first I was a bit scared of the golem and its damage, but after a bit of thinking its easy to see how to overcome their fearsome presence with each faction.

Still waiting to see more of it, but the first impression is very good. :)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

did you did it alone?
Yes. I have attached image, which shows my work on special effects such as implosion, sealing and teleport.
slicers doesn't have any amla
Fixed (Beta 4.1.1 is ready - 1.4 and 1.5)
The clerics seems to have a very expensive scout
That's right. I can reduce it's cost or create a new unit (i.e. a horseman with a bow). Priests have only 5 recruitable units - other factions have 6. So I think this second option is better. Decision is yours :wink:
Attachments
fx.jpg
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

I think that a new unit for them would be better, so they get a similar treatment as the Default undead (having ghost/bat) being the horseman the one with highest cost (like a knalgan gryphon) or ghost role.

I don't think that reducing its gold cost would do it, the unit is already strong on mainline and I feel it could unbalance him a bit more if its cost would be reduced to 20.

Of course, the problem with a full new unit that act as scout is graphical in nature, and that is always more work for the designer.

I suppose you could use as graphic the elvish rider as a cheap scout, and later on tweak it to fill your needs. (I'll check if there is some theme of each faction in the thread so I may propose a better alternative)
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

You don't have to. The Cavalry Archer:
Attachments
cavalryarcher.png
cavalryarcher.png (3.13 KiB) Viewed 4972 times
Creator of Era of Magic

Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Looks cute! :mrgreen:

A thing I need to mention about the tharis, for some reason, these guys cannot move over "frozen" (snow aka tundra) nor "flat" (grassland) with a 1000000 movements points required, really weird, but that made them not possible to move/play properly.

Second thing you need to remove the tharis hydra graphic asap and hope to get a better orientated hydra graphic, because that smells as the Heroes of Might & Magic 2 Hydra, and has copyrigth issues. (Heck even heroes of might & magic I is still sold on stores lol)

I'll check why the elves aren't moving properly (probably something related to their special movement type)
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Found the problem, in 1.5 (at least) the movement types over terrain are as follows

[movetype]
name=smallfoot
[movement_costs]
deep_water=99
shallow_water=3
swamp_water=3
flat=1
sand=2
forest=2
hills=2
mountains=3
village=1
castle=1
cave=2
frozen=3
unwalkable=99
impassable=99
fungus=2
[/movement_costs]

You need to change on the desmall,deelusive,defoot the following lines.

grassland to flat
tundra to frozen
canyon to unwalkable
cavewall to impassable

Otherwise, your units will move weirdly/buggy and couldn't compete with the rest of factions.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Oh, sorry. I forgot about it. I'll leave empty images for them for a while.
Creator of Era of Magic

inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Done. Beta 4.1.2 is now available. Priest have the new unit - Cavalry Archer (with animations) - and guys from Tharis should walk properly (I haven't tested it yet).

I must do something with hydras. I don't have any other images so I have to make entirely new graphics.
Creator of Era of Magic

Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

inferno8 wrote:Done. Beta 4.1.2 is now available. Priest have the new unit - Cavalry Archer (with animations) - and guys from Tharis should walk properly (I haven't tested it yet).

I must do something with hydras. I don't have any other images so I have to make entirely new graphics.
Put a naga as "temporal graphic" until you get done a proper hydra graphic done, anyway it was facing in the wrong direction compared with the rest of the units on the faction.

downloading next version and cheers. :D
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Beta 4.1.3 is ready. I have created a new image for a hydra. Now it has only three heads but looks much better than the previous one (god bless The Forgotten Legacy :D ).
All hydras are the same and without animations but I will change it as fast as I can. :wink:
Attachments
hydra.png
hydra.png (999 Bytes) Viewed 5110 times
Creator of Era of Magic

Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Looks good so far.

Another thing to note for your decision.

a) the cavalry rider also uses bow for melee (I suppose because these doesn't have yet a proper melee animation) that made it look weird, tought maybe a first strike single attack (a la thunderer) would make more sense on these units. tough not as devastating since its purpose is a scout and not a frontline warrior. (10-1 first strike looks decent)

b) Most of the units seems to cost roughly the same, or has a dispar gold cost.

example, the "Tharis" has disciple costed as 18 for a non melee 7-3 magic cold ranged body.

While the Tharis Witch has two less hp, but cost 1 less gold, moves the same but it has a powerful melee and magic drain range that usually made it top over the disciple (it also requires less xp to lvl up)

Basically, except for the difference in element, the witch overshadows its male counterpart in every aspect (included survivality, since its isn't an easy target for berserker units)

Other thing to mention is that the dark warrior special is devastating against any berserking unit (tought you may already know it) since would kill them without taking damage. (dunno what happens when fighting against magic melee units tought.

c) On the dark warrior description there is a minor typo in which they are spelled warrir instead of warrior.

Thanks for the fast responses, and hope you take some time to alter a bit the gold costs of the units to differenciate them a bit more in order to keep a better balance of usefulness to gold ratio.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

the cavalry rider also uses bow for melee
Fixed. I used existing moving animation for this melee attack and I think it looks good. Of course I can do diffrent anim. :)
The witch overshadows its male counterpart in every aspect
Now she costs 20 gold and has 26 hp.
Other thing to mention is that the dark warrior special is devastating against any berserking unit
Yes, I know. But I can't do anything. Berserkers should avoid her or kill before she will react.
On the dark warrior description there is a minor typo
Fixed.

Beta 4.2 is now available :) . New hydras:
Attachments
deephydra.png
deephydra.png (2.79 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
chaoshydra.png
chaoshydra.png (1.08 KiB) Viewed 5061 times
Creator of Era of Magic

Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

The tharis minotaur has "amla_tough 3" instead of amla_default like the other units of its faction.
The Mu unit also has a zoc aura while being a lvl 0 unit without it, easy to fix changing the line that says ellipse="misc/ellipse" for this one ellipse="misc/ellipse-nozoc"

And for taking something into account, if you want to extend your era for RPG/survivals games use, you should allow the pertaining units to reach over lvl 1 in order to give them some benefit over the ones that can get to lvl 4 (if only because these can full heal and other powerful stuff)

The rest is looking good so far, keep up the good work :)
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

The tharis minotaur has "amla_tough 3" instead of amla_default
Fixed
The Mu unit also has a zoc aura while being a lvl 0 unit without it
Fixed

New verison 4.2.1 ready. There is one new unit Cavalry Archer II and hydra has idle animation.

Because I have noticed that my era was downloaded about 4000 times( :shock: ) I'm going to extend it for RPG and survival modes.

Thanks again, Vendanna. Together we did a lot of work (you're in credits! :D ).
Creator of Era of Magic

Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

I think it would improve the hydra if apart of all heads attacking at once, you also had different attacks in which each single head attack alone and other combinations of the two to add variations to its attacks. (tought that is graphic intensive it would give a lot of variations on its attack)

And the cheers and congrats must go to you anyway, that are the one that is making a good progress with the era and also the one doing the work.