Era of Magic (EoMa) 4.6.2 - now on Ko-fi!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

acroobat

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.3

Post by acroobat »

This era really rocks. Thanks for your work.
Cifuentes

Post by Cifuentes »

Eng___________

Thank you very much for "Era of Magic" I have enjoyed "To lands unknown" and I confess that I have been wanting more.

Are there more campaigns for E.O.M. ?

Sp____________

Muchas gracias por "Era of Magic" he disfrutado de "To lands unknown" y confieso que me e quedado con ganas de mas.

¿Existen mas campañas para E.O.M. ?
IPS

Post by IPS »

Cifuentes wrote: April 26th, 2021, 9:29 pm Eng___________

Thank you very much for "Era of Magic" I have enjoyed "To lands unknown" and I confess that I have been wanting more.

Are there more campaigns for E.O.M. ?

Sp____________

Muchas gracias por "Era of Magic" he disfrutado de "To lands unknown" y confieso que me e quedado con ganas de mas.

¿Existen mas campañas para E.O.M. ?
Not yet, but Era of Magic comes with a very challenging zombie survival, you can host it by making a room in local play or in multiplayer.
Also you can use it in various survival game modes in multiplayer or even try PvP in multiplayer lobbys

Off-topic, mostly related to inferno8 and EoMa devs
In case too many purposes of ballance changes too much to Lands to Unknown campaign, would highly recommend a "Core" version of the era that is only playable if trying a specific difficulty of the campaign (like hardest diff , original stats from some units that were nerfed that hard) with an advise "try at your own risk" or idk, even giving an extra playable difficulty. As most changes proposed by are related to PvP and from things I've been spectating/playing-by-myself and usually being sure these changes were for the best. But actually, viewing how in summoners gameplay in the outdated EoMa in Ageless ppl still spam fire elementals with exceptional ressults and too low effort (extra XP, +1g cost for lv1 and lv2 costing more to move at water tiles were necessary to people consider carpet riders or even water elementals)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

IPS wrote: April 28th, 2021, 5:30 pm Not yet, but Era of Magic comes with a very challenging zombie survival, you can host it by making a room in local play or in multiplayer.
Also you can use it in various survival game modes in multiplayer or even try PvP in multiplayer lobbys
Oooh I've been wanting to post about that zombie survival. I've played several games of it with AI allies vs the zombies. The AI doesn't do very well so I use the configurable version to turn down the difficulty to the minimum and that gives a good challenging game for me.

One neat thing is that you can play any add-on era/faction vs the EoMa Zombies which is a lot of fun to see how they stack up against each other. One thing is for sure, you quickly learn if the add-on has properly set its undead variations. :-)

There are a few minor display problems related to the ultra-dark hexes. Units seem to get partially darkened or something. Could be units that have sprites bigger than 72x72.

Oh and when you hover over the configuration options before the game (the sliders that set # of zombies etc.) it pops up a message about invalid pango markup.

But yes, very difficult but also quite interesting.

Oh and I hadn't thought of trying it online. Should be possible to actually get players since EoMa is popular!
IPS

Post by IPS »

Also personally when concerning to team survivals, it's better to just use more empty sides and for example, taking only half of sides but with twice the starting gold and twice the base income (+2 is the setting) instead of using AI as alies.

By default setting 0 of base income means you gain +2 gold per turn if no villages, you can use the slider to increase +2 compared to standard value (to a total of +4) and give yourself twice the gold with only 2 sides. You can use an ally empty castle to spend your money faster specially in first turns.

Could be quite useful if there would be an adaptation for 2 and 3 players version of zombie survival, only some modifications to starting castles and gold/base income seetings would be enough for that.

Off-topic but concerned to EoMa balance in Zombie Survival, may be useful for consideration for devs
The map itself is not perfectly balanced as it favours more units that have better movility or terrain defenses at cave or are chaotic aligment, but in terms of balance all factions works even Kharos by having access to arcane which is very effective againist the undead and decent tanks and easy access to healing and even berzerkers that if well used can save you from a lot of Havoc from AI.

And at there , significant stuff like Sky Kingdom's Elementalists being neutral instead of lawful means they don't lose -25% damage because of time of day, but their accuracy is lower to just +skilled (60%) unlike adept of light.

Would say that easiest faction for people that aren't wesnoth veterans could say that is Blood Aliance, high defense in caves and easy acess to healing and toads that works as early game bulks until you train saurians for a right mid game. Another that could be easily considered as a safe pick for newcomers is Ancient Dwarves, mecha can be repaired by technicians and are inmune to plague and poison but not being that good in cave terrain, fortunately they have dwarves that are quite great in cave terrain, but combining well the use of mecha and dwarf foot type gives you a specific advantage.

But as said, almost any faction can work well in zombie survival, just need to get used to their gameplay and focosing in not having early losses.
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.4 Beta 1

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 3.4 Beta 1 is now available*!
*only for BfW 1.15.14+ (1.16)

This version is incompatible with the current BfW 1.14.x stable. In relation to upcoming 1.16 I've decided to drop support for older versions of the game.

Do note that this is the beta version of the add-on. It needs to be thoroughly tested, before it becomes a final 3.4 release. I encourage every one of you to try this version and report any errors or "code deprecation" warnings appearing in-game.

Era of Magic 3.4 fixes some very old bugs and introduces rather controversial, in my opinion, balancing improvements. The major changes are:
- a new strike cap for the growing fury ability (damage values stop increasing after 3rd hit to prevent absurdly large damage output when fighting berserker units)
- the "hard landing" and "furious death" abilities no longer kill adjacent units (they are left on a map with 1 HP instead - this prevents a rare "destruction loop" bug)
- some too fancy abilities are disabled in rpg mode (these abilities are: summon, summon undead, bone collector, sculpt)
- a few powerful leader options are now nerfed automatically in multiplayer (by applying the weak trait) to make games more balanced
- abilities of all zombie variations finally work (thanks to Ravana's workaround made for AE - good job!)
- toads and tanks are no longer available as leaders anymore

In case of future balance proposals, EoMa now uses a new unit patching system, which detects multiplayer and rpg modes and applies mortifications to units, especially some problematic leaders. This can be used to propose some changes tailored specifically for these modes without sacrificing singleplayer for example.

Here's the full changelog:

Code: Select all

## Version 3.4 Beta 1
 ### Units
	** Barbarians:
	 * Cyclops Breaker: changed main fist attack from 7-4 to 5-5 and decreased growing fury value from 4 to 3
	** Sky Kingdom:
	 * Black Mage: the entrapement spell has magical instead of skilled weapon special
	 * Master of Fire: hitpoints from 55 to 58
	 * Master of Water: hitpooints from 58 to 55
	**Tharis:
	 * Dark Slayer: hitpoints from 40 to 42
 ### Abilities
	* disabled some abilities and weapon specials in rpg mode (summon, summon undead, bone collector, sculpt)
	* limited growing fury damage boost to 3 first strikes
	* furious death and hard landing abilities no longer kill adjacent units when hp < 0
 ### Gameplay
	* removed some units from leaders' lists (Blood Warrior, lvl2 Toads, Dwarvish Tank, Pacificator, Dark Assassin)
	* some lvl2 leaders are now nerfed in Multiplayer by applying the "weak" trait (Rhami'datu, Rhami'kai, Dharma'rhami, Ho'rhami, Great Jinni, Wonderful Jinni, Efreeti, Great Efreeti); additionaly Efreeti's max movement as leader is decreased by 1
 ### Code
	* enabled lua support; implemented rpg check
    * fixed terrain type animation filter for Cold Matriarch
	* removed get_hit_sound= key - replaced it with {DEFENSE_ANIM} macro where possible
	* fixed invalid pango markup in the Zombies Challenge scenario
	* restored {SOUND_LIST:GOBLIN_DIE} for the Goblin Shaman line
	* removed all occurrences of {SPECIAL_NOTES} macros; deleted special-notes.cfg
	* replaced the deprecated special= weapon filter with special_id= and special_type= keys
	* replaced placement=map_passable with placement=map passable=yes
	* fix zombie events not being registered properly (workaround)
	* reworked the no counter-attack weapon special to use [disable] instead of [chance_to_hit]
	* add some missing variation ids; add the "Fallen" prefix to all undead variation names
	* added space in mixedfighter in Wyvern.cfg
 ### Translations
	* updated the raw translation file
    * updated the Polish translation
    * updated the Chinese translation
IPS wrote: May 9th, 2021, 2:11 am Could be quite useful if there would be an adaptation for 2 and 3 players version of zombie survival, only some modifications to starting castles and gold/base income seetings would be enough for that. (...)
The map itself is not perfectly balanced as it favours more units that have better movility or terrain defenses at cave or are chaotic aligment
If anyone is interested, feel free to post your ideas or even improved map candidates, so I can review them and maybe replace the current map with a new one of your making ;)
Atreides wrote: April 29th, 2021, 7:50 pm There are a few minor display problems related to the ultra-dark hexes. Units seem to get partially darkened or something. Could be units that have sprites bigger than 72x72.
Unfortunately this is a game's engine graphical glitch, but I hope future versions of BfW will come with improvements in multihex map rendering.
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.4 Beta 2

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 3.4 Beta 2 is now available*!
*only for BfW 1.15.14+ (1.16)

This is the second beta release in preparation for the upcoming BfW 1.16. There are only few changes this time. I've replaced some deprecated macros, especially the {FOREACH} macro, so the era utilizes the new [foreach] tag now.

For those wondering: TLU is now available for 1.15.15+ (1.16) ;)

Full changelog:

## Version 3.4 Beta 2
 ### Code
	* replaced {FOREACH} with the [foreach] tag
	* replaced {MISSILE_FRAME_FIREBALL} with {MISSILE_FRAME_FIREBALL_XY}
	* check the rpg condition only in multiplayer
 ### Translations
Creator of Era of Magic

inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.4 Beta 3

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 3.4 Beta 3 is now available*!
*only for BfW 1.15.15+ (1.16)

This is the third beta release in preparation for the upcoming BfW 1.16. There are only a few minor changes this time. You can find full changelog below:

## Version 3.4 Beta 3
 ### Units
	** Runemasters:
	 * Red Ulfserker: renamed to 'Red Steam Ulfserker'
 ### Code
	* replaced placement=map_overwrite with placement,overwrite=map,yes
	* added[allow_undo] to eoma_summon_select_event, constructor events, drone upgrade events and soul catcher events
	* removed an invalid underscore in the triple strike weapon special causing pango markup warnings
 ### Translations
Creator of Era of Magic

inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.4 Beta 4

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 3.4 Beta 4 is now available*!

This is the fourth beta release in preparation for the upcoming BfW 1.16. The main feature of this version is that flying units no longer cast shadows on chasm and lava tiles. This visual improvement is especially noticeable on some TLU maps.

Important: you need the latest version of Era of Magic Resources 1.2.1 for this version to work properly.

## Version 3.4 Beta 4
 ### Graphics
	*flying units no longer cast shadows on chasm or lava tiles
 ### Code
	* fixed the "levelling loop" bug for aoe weapon specials utilizing "experience freeze" mechanics
	* simplified animation code for Piranhas
	* enabled lua for campaigns
Creator of Era of Magic

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The 'activate dron' ability has a nonsensical explanation.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Hi there, this time here are some feedback given with replays in 1vs1 matches.

Match 1: IPS (Random -> Sky Kingdom) vs Seva (Random -> Barbarians)
2p — Sulla’s Ruins replay.gz
(32.42 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
As seen, barbarians showed to be too dominant in PVP, specially that trolls are too cost efficient and hardly countered by mages in most matchups, and can run quickly, still, managed well this even if by default,my units seem much weaker than his. Not much to say, just that actually is very difficult for a new player using Sky Kingdom to defeat another newbie using Barbarians.

Forced to rush in a correct time when it battle would begin at daytime which was the only thing I could do to can archieve succesfully the game.

Feedback adquired from here:
- Troll Sorcerers -10% arcane resistance (as trolls of default era), for now just nerf the lv1's ones
- Either one of the two options: Trolls fist -1 damage or +1g in costs. They can basically camp and outrun most human units.
- Roc rider movement -1 movement (incluiding lv2 version)
- Subversive mage and advancement +1 movement
- Viewed that the previous +1 movement buff on Pyromancer was determinant in this game.
- In a momment of unluck by IPS, golem's charge took a lot of damage from a slowed troll in retaliations. (This is also an observation without conclusion)
- Hidden Face feels somewhat costy, realized they don't gain any secondary trait (such as quick/inteligent/resilent) , and as said in the replay, +fearless is not completely worth the traitless stuff in Hidden Face. Not bright right now to give suggerences on this case.
(will look if later I get any idea in how to buff Hidden Face as people seem to not like them much and even avoiding them even if YOU NEED THEM)

Even if sometime too emotive, all comments in that game can be quite useful to consider in balance. But basically the only thing that could work to archieve that victory was doing that rush or otherwise, he would outrun me all day and will have various village advantages.

Match 2: IPS (Random -> Dark Blood Aliance) vs Seva (Destroyes, Omen)
2p — Swamp of Dread replay.gz
(27.69 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Not much to say about this one, I clearly knew what I would face while my opponent didn't, and my aproximate predict of what he would be recruiting worked perfectly! , a game that also showed how I managed to use sneak tactics that allowed to trap the first Nightmare forcing it into a sure death. Pikemen's cheap bulk even if being countered by most Destroyer unit showed to have certain utility as place holders, being one of the reasons I didn't get outnumbered by my opponent.

(Something that was in my side too, is that saurians in this era only require 1 movement cost in forests, aspect that is too strong considering how well do saurian move in various type of tiles, will look more carefully at that aspect and viewing how saurians can get a compesation by such strong bonus as being only 1 movement cost required to move at forests)

I have not enough to say any feedback suggestions, just can say maybe a little more XP to level 2 suarians adepts and that Wyvern's not being fire resistant anymore wasn't a problem to win this game even if Nightmare benefits from that previous nerf to wyverns, but it wasn't even tested.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.4 Beta 5

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 3.4 Beta 5 is now available*!

This is the fifth beta release in preparation for the upcoming BfW 1.16. It focuses mostly on balance improvements proposed by IPS in the previous post (thanks!). It also includes a fix for the hp restoration bug occurring in AoE attacks.

Full changelog:

## Version 3.4 Beta 5
 ### Units
	** Barbarians:
	 * Troll Sorcerer: -10% arcane resistance; increased cost by 1g from 19 to 20g
	 * Roc Rider: decreased movement points from 9 to 8
	 * Roc Rider: decreased movement points from 10 to 9
	** Sky Kingdom:
	 * Subversive Mage: increased movement points from 5 to 6 
	 * Black Mage: increased movement points from 5 to 6 
	 * Sculptor: increased movement points from 5 to 6 
	 * Void Mage: increased movement points from 5 to 6 
 ### Abilities
	* improved the 'activate drone' ability description
 ### Code
	* fixed a bug in expfreeze resulting in hp restoration
	* expfreeze uses most up-to-date value of unit experience
Creator of Era of Magic

IPS

Post by IPS »

Hi there! this time I got more extenste feedback as I have cleared To Lands Unknown in Mystic Jinn difficulty (Hard), and while playing could notice some stuff that can be improved in balance!

Before giving the balance feedbacks, let's check out of some selected replays of mine and the reasons why I highlight these.

Have to advise that if want to look at the replay, reader you have to have the lastest Era of Magic version of 1.14's servers, Lands to unknown campaign and mostly all the resources of lands to unknown campaign.

Southern Nations
TLU-Southern Nations replay.gz
(101.22 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
This is very likely the map in which my gameplay was most notable as of the next map containing barbarians. The first time I tried a more conventional play and got crushed very early, so had to redo the map in the begining. So at my 2nd attempt without any reloads, could find all this miracle! On a very open field I just spammed carpet riders at certain point of the game... WHICH WORKED even better than expected! sieging barbarians at both southern mountains and the sand fields even AT NIGHT, splitting AI forces and focusing the most dangerous units of barbarian hordes... KAMIKAZE GOBBOS! which were the ones which made me most headaches in this map !! and said to myself, what if I strike at south and by this I take all these gobbos away? and well... ressults are just outstanding! have to see the replay yourself! ended in a record time of turn 22 , being the map's limit 44.

Notes:
- Being outnumbered by carpet riders, is a serious problem!
(carpet riders looks suspiciously OP to me, even if the conditions to that happen are very situational. But no real idea what can be considered, but it's not unit's stats what shines at most, just in how STRONG is +slows special and an unit which such movility can make the best exploits of this special !)

Fire Canyon
TLU-Fire Canyon replay.gz
(62.28 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
On this archieved the least losses, and personally didn't expect that this particular map would be the easiest (at least to me) in the whole campaign. Not that much to say, I'm master of camping in very small field with few units and had very well trained men from previous campaigns, which was one of the main reasons why this enormous sucess on this map. Also, I took a bit longer expecting a more aggresive AI, but for my surprise it was more cautious that I've tought.

Notes:
- Neutral Summoner helped me a lot to be in one piece in this map! even if later the 2 I've got died because of abusing them too often.

TLU-Sky Kingdom replay.gz
(129.73 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Darn! this map was EXTREMELY FUN, even if too dense in what aspects of gameplays refers. Had to reload 2 times, one very in the beging (died because of risking too much Mehir with almost no help) and the other I sent Mehir alone to the end and died againist that tons of eyes and the Sky Guardian (later made the same, but with True Rashi's leadership). Even before Jinn's advise about the flying units and controling the portals it was quite obvious to me all the tips it given to Mehir.

The portals stuff and the combination of flying forces and etc , just gift me an unique never seen experience in PVE!

Something that I could realize, is that Mehir's hammers if combining both +Day-time bonus and +lv5 leadership and if spent any possible upgrade to hammer damage upgrade, he actually CAN of one hit a Lv2 mystic warrior at both melee and ranged alike! (even if full HP the Mystic Warrior) which is is a notable fact that shouldn't just happen.

Appart of important campaign gameplay, it confirms me that either both Hidden Face and Mystic Warriors needs of lower impact weakness (just appart of Mehir's OP full hammer +lv5 leadership +25% day-time bonus)

So in conclusion of all the whole campaign, I became a true veteran in summoner's gameplay. And also being now sure what buff will give to Hidden Faces and Mystic Warriors.

Refering to Era's balance itself...
On this time , I will just list all my observations even if not found yet any solution to that issue.

Sky Kingdom
The faction actually have issues facing very specific tanks in PVP like Toads (no source of pierce damage) and Cyclops/Trolls seems to work very well againist any Sky Kingdom's recruit list. Toad's being a problem to SKy Kingdom even if not tested by myself, it's impossible my theory be wrong considering the tons of resistances, health, regen that toads have and that Sky Kingdom have no counter for it ... yet. Both of these facts (Toads and Trolls/Cyclops and Mehir's OP hammer!) giving hard times to Sky Kingdom are very justificated reasons to buff impact resistances on Hidden Faces and Mystic Warriors. And why not making lv0 Mu slightly impact resistant? at PVP factional balance it is quite much required.

Edit: Another issue of Sky Kingdom is their trouble in maintaining far villages in big maps (as previosly seen in my 1vs1 duel againist barbarians in previous PvP post).

Appart of the few extra impact resistances spread to Mu and Hidden Face, would highly recommend lowering rough terrain handicaps on some Sky Kingdom mages (Elementalists AND subversive mages) ... a somewhat later idea I got

Mu
Impact resistance from 0% to 10%

Hidden Face
So now, I'm completly sure what will buff here. This will help Sky Kingdom and this unit to tank much better Trolls, Toads and Cyclops
- Impact resistance from -20% to -10%
- XP from 42 to 38
(In case Sky Kingdom still look like having problems with these 3 units, could later consider lowering subversibe mage's impact weakness, but for now not buffing again the subversive mages)

Mystical Warrior
- Impact resistance from -20% to -10%
- XP from 110 to 114 (lv1 to lv3 XP unchanged)
(No longer Mehir's OP hammer can possibly 1 hit them no matter what! Not even if lv5 leadership and +Day-Time, but belive me, it's dissapointing how a good unit gets one hit at both melee and ranged lmao, even if talking about one of my favorite lv2 in the whole era !)

As aksing a newbie to slow the toad, the troll, etc to not suffer of impair damage dealt/taken is a lot to ask to a newcomer, even when played that one game againist Seva I felt overwhelmed by his barbabarians in the very begind and in the begin said the game was most likely lost to me. Sky Kingdom getting a stron pierce unit would make them somewhat OP, so I personally don't recommend this alternative. There might be a lot of creative ways to make Sky Kingdom performing better even for new players, as of Subversive mages getting +1 movement, but, don't expect of me giving very oftenly HP upgrade as it ruins basic Sky Kingdom essence of magic faction.

Elementalist
Some extra 40% terrain defenses, allowing this unit to be placed in more angles without defense handicaps.
Which even, could be explained in unit's lore about of a better management of envoroiment's flow or something.
Intention is favoring Sky Kingdom take more aggresive actitudes in PVP by lowering terrain limitations.
- Sand defense from 30% to 40%
- Swallow Water defense from 20% to 40%
- Cold/Fire resistances from 6% to 8%
- Frozen defense from 20% to 30% / Frozen movement cost from 3 to 2.
- Mountains movement cost from 3 to 2
I don't think that being 40% defense in more places could be OP, just more opportunities for a more fair initiative/counter-attack.

Pyromancer / Master of Fire
- Sand defense from 30% to 40%
- Sand movement cost from 2 to 1
He losses his lv1 water tiles bonus, but he gets full movement liberty in sands.

Hydromancer / Aeromancer & advancements: unchanged
(with just the exception of Hydromancer/Master of water would maintain their frozen bonuses from the buff of elementalists)
Let's help again pyromancers to shine more, as nobody really wants them at all (most preffers leveling a battle mage and getting a Sorcerer)

Subversive Mage / Black Mage / Sculptor
- Lv1 cold resistance from 10% to 15% , so he can do better againist saurian adepts and tharis mages.
- Lv2 cold resistance from 15% to 20% .
- Swamp movement cost from 3 to 2
- Swamp defense from 30% to 40%
- Swamp movement cost from 3 to 2

Void Mage
- Cold resistance from 20% to 25%

Dark Blood Aliance
Considering how Dark Blood Aliance may be too strong in PVE scenarios (specially being 1 movement cost in forest terrain... is a very strong aspect that only Dark Blood Aliance's lizards owns as factional strength. This also could be of help to balance them more in PVP.

Also in compesation of all saurian's defenses in cave, the less popular Salamanders will get a buff.

DBA's Saurian's movefoot type
- Cave defense from 60% to 50% (same as previous sand nerf), still too good that they still require 1 movement to move at cave tiles.

Lv1 Salamanders, Yellow Salamanders
- Cave defense from 50% to 60%
- Fungus defense from 40% to 50%

Black Salamanders
- Cave defense from 50% to 60% (same as of their buffed peers)
- Fungus defense from 50% to 60% (+10% than their buffed peers)

Green Salamanders
- Fungus defense from 40% to 50%
(no cave buff)

Red & Blue Salamanders
- No buffs.
As red salamander being the strongest of the salamanders, actually don't need of it, as well Blue Salamander neither needs it as its special terrain is one of the most common (aquatic tiles)

It did just went perfect! Salamanders were too impopular by the players and they deserved a buff, and in a perfect momment like an slight nerf to all saurians's cave performance!

Miscelanous, other pricing
Just repricing of higher level units.
- Battle Toad price from 40g to 42g
- Toad Archer price from 38g to 40g
- Toad Shaman price from 42g to 44g
- Heavy Balloon price from 32g to 35g
- Steam Bersker price fom 46g to 42g
- Storm Sphere prie from 26g to 34g
- Sword Dancer price from 36g to 38g

Dark Slayer
- Health from 40 to 43

Miscelanous obvervations
- IPS suspects that carpet riders are quite OP, so very likely if time says so, he will find a nerf to them.
- In case that if Sky Kingdom still suffer too much againist these barbarian units and toads in PVP, Subversibe magi could get their impact weakness removed if time says so.
- IPS personally considers that Tharis's lv1 and lv2 tharis berserkers are actually overpowered, but preffers doing nothing as faction is low in HP and depend of hydras to tank. Due of not being sure how that could change PVP balance, he preffers not doing such nerf to these this time.

Edit: Got some new cool ideas for Sky Kingdom buffs (as I could see, these buffs will not change anything in the campaign, luckyly) .. hope to not be late at this editing of post.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Hi there! after waiting several minutes for an opponent, found another PvP game.

2p Hellhole - IPS (random --> Summoners Great Jinn) vs nscruiser (random --> Barbarians Blood Warrior)
2p — Hellhole replay.gz
(31 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Well, on this match could realize that summoners feels expensive in PvP. Still, considering that magicals are inmune to poison, was money well spent. Viewed that as well Summoners cannot even consider camel riders againist barbarians because of roc riders being THAT strong and notable hard-counter of this unit. I'ma considering removing pierce weakness on camels, is not the strongest of scouts in the era could even say that carpet rider does much better that same task. So I'ma considering buffing camel riders a bit, and lowering slightly water elementals costs because it's a great unit that their use is very situational (but as you will see in the replay, a WELL placed water elemental if not owned the right counters is a formidable place holder!)

Few things about that specific game, Blood Warrior capacity to kill various units in a turn kinda screwed me and wasn't even expecting that! and again, another game in which very early had to deal with 3 roc riders as people are aware of their brutal cost efficiency !! , rough game to be honest, but archieved to win this one again.

From this game, got the following suggestions:

Summoners

Water elementals
- Price from 16g to 15g (as faction feels very costy in PvP)
Considering it's support unit, players will not abuse of their price decrease as it could cost them the game!, not convenient to get more than 2 water elementals in any pvp game.

Camel Riders
- Pierce resistance from -10% to 0% (in case you meet very early roc riders, quite useful againsit kharos and dark blood aliance)
- XP from 52 to 42
(their XP is as well injustificably too high)

As well, one of the reasons why summoners are somewhat costy is because a well used gate kill can be game flipping, and preventing players to abuse that in survivals or any kind of PVE games...

Sky-Kingdom (off-topic)
- Elementalist's mountain movement cost from 3 to 2 (want to see this theorical buff in practice)
(appart of previously mentions of extra 40% def terrains and fire/cold resistance improvement)
(listed in my previous post, by being edited once again, but will repeat this again)

As said, in PVP, Sky Kingdom feels somewhat slow, so let's help some of their not that cost efficient unit to be somewhat more movible.
And yes, is very important making Subversive mages stronger somehow as few of them is the only way to deal againist units like Toad Riders, Cyclops and Trolls.

And no, I'm not counting golems as counters of Toad, Cyclops or Trolls as they take a tons of damage from charging them, even if slowed if unlucky. While cyclops is a notable hard-counter for Golems which gives hard times to this unit. Would need to see a PvP game about how does perform golems againist Stridding Machines, as both counters eachthemselves... and slowing with Subversive mage means in taking a lot of ranged damage in order to golem takes much fewer damage, but theorically golem would only have problems againist Stridding machines if this unit is at 50% defense terrain.

Dark Blood Aliance
Viewed another issue with toad riders and this is that getting 2 random traits is a very strong feature of this unit (default's woses don't gain any trait at all). I would like to see how it goes if we try just 1 random trait for Toad riders.
- Toad riders , lower random traits from recruited toad riders from 2 to 1.
This is theroical as well, but the tons of HP this unit can get from traits... uffff... sky kingdom and Kharos will thank this nerf in PvP

Edit:
Barbarians

Roc Rider
- Pierce resistance from 0% to -10% (just lv1 ones)
- Arcane resistance from 10% to 0% (again, just lv1 ones)
Their main issue is being too dominant in PVP, tons of dmg and very quick flying unit, and very cost efficient..
inferno8
Art Contributor

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 3.5

Post by inferno8 »

Era of Magic 3.5 - the "RPG update" - is out!
eoma3.5promo.jpg
This is a major release available only for Battle for Wesnoth 1.16 (the old stable 1.14 is no longer supported).
Important: if you are in the middle of your TLU playthrough, I suggest you to update EoMa to the latest version AFTER finishing the campaign.

The 3.5 version features the following changes:
  • added special RPG variations for 130 units. These variations are almost the same as their base units, but differ in stats and abilities (some are disabled or nerfed) - this is to make RPG matches more balanced. I have a strange feeling that players who abuse EoMa units in RPG will be really mad about these changes...
  • balanced a lot of units (about 60) from various factions. Now EoMa matches should be more fair (but do keep in mind that because this is UMC it can be still far from being balanced!
Regarding visuals the dependency add-on "Era of Magic - Resources" has been updated as well (v1.2.3). There was also a "silent" 1.2.2 update around the time BfW 1.16 was released, so to sum up here are the changes from both releases:
  • new portraits for Dharma'rhami and Ho'Rhami
  • new standardized faction images. Now they all should have similar dimensions and composition. Also the emblem of Sky Kingdom has changed slightly.
eoma3.5_faction_images.jpg

I'd like to thank IPS for making this release possible. Almost all balance ideas for 3.5 were proposed by him (now disappointed RPG EoMa players know who is to blame, hehe...). Also I'd like to point out that IPS has been balancing the Era of Magic for many YEARS and had a great impact on EoMa's development. That's why I decided to officially appoint him as the co-creator of Era of Magic - congratulations! :D

Era of Magic 3.5 full changelog:

## Version 3.5
 ### Gameplay
	* added special rpg variations of 130 units with altered stats
 ### Units
	** Barbarians:
	 * Goblin Archer: movement from 5 to 6; cost from 15g to 14g
	 * Roc Rider: arcane resistance from 10% to 0%; pierce resistance from 0 to -10%
	** Darkblood Alliance:
	 * Chosen of Forest: cave defense 50%
	 * Chosen of Marsh: cave defense 60%
	 * Clan Leader: cave defense 50%
	 * Corrupted Shaman: cave defense 60%
	 * Swamp Mage: cave defense 60%
	 * Jungle Guardian: cave defense 50%
	 * Mystic: cave defense 50%
	 * Saurian Assassin: cave defense 50%
	 * Saurian Champion: cave defense 50%
	 * Saurian Crossbowman: cave defense 50%
	 * Saurian Pikeman: cave defense 50%
	 * Saurian Blowgunner: cave defense 50%
	 * Shamanistic Adept: cave defense 50%
	 * Salamander: cold resistance from -10% to 0%; cave defense 60%; fungus defense 50%
	 * Black Salamander: cold resistance from -10% to 0%; cave defense 60%; fungus defense 60%
	 * Green Salamander: cold resistance from -10% to 0%; fungus defense 50%
	 * Yellow Salamander: cold resistance from -10% to 0%; cave defense 60%; fungus defense 50%
	 * Toad + advancements: now have only 1 trait
	 * Battle Toad: cost from 40 to 42
	 * Toad Archer: cost from 38 to 40
	 * Toad Shaman: cost from 42 to 44
	** Destroyers:
	 * Nightmare: cost from 19g to 18g; replaced 'magical' with 'magical (offensive) weapon special for the 'touch' attack; changed 'chaotic blast' damage from 4 to 5
	** Runemasters:
	 * Heavy Baloon: cost from 32g to 35g
	 * Steam Berserker: cost from 46g to 42g
	 * Striding Machine: 'trample' attack damage from 9 to 8
	** Sky Kingdom:
	 * Subversive Mage: cold resistance from 10% to 15%; pierce resistance to 0%; swamp movement cost to 2; swamp defense to 40%
	 * Black Mage: cold resistance from 15% to 10%; pierce resistance from -10% to 0%; swamp movement cost to 2; swamp defense 40%
	 * Sculptor: cold resistance from 10% to 20%; pierce resistance to 0%
	 * Void Mage: cold resistance from 20% to 25%; pierce resistance to 0%
	 * Elementalist: fire resistance from 6% to 8%; cold resitance from 6% to 8%; frozen movement cost 2; sand defense 40%; shallow water defense 40%; frozen defense 30%
	 * Pyromancer: sand defense 40%; sand movement cost to 1; mountains movement cost to 2
	 * Master of Fire: sand defense 40%; sand movement cost to 1; mountains movement cost to 2
	 * Hydromancer: swamp defense 40%; sand defense 40%; shallow water defense 40%; frozen defense 30; frozen movement cost to 2; swamp movement cost to 2; mountains movement cost to 2; cold and fire resistances from 6% to 8%
	 * Golem: impact resistance from -20% to -15%
	 * Hidden Face + advancements: number of traits increased to 2
	 * Hidden Face: experience from 42 to 38; impact resistance from -20% to -10%
	 * Mystic Warrior: impact resistance from -20% to -10%; experience from 110 to 114
	 * Mu: impact resistance from 0% to 10%
	** Summoners:
	 * Air Elemental: 'hurricane' attack damage from 9 to 8
	 * Camel Rider: experience from 52 to 42; frozen movement cost to 3; pierce resistance from -10% to 0%
	 * Camel Master: frozen movement cost to 3; pierce resistance from -10% to 0%
	 * Carpet Rider: removed the dextrous trait from the traits pool
	 * Carpet Master: removed the dextrous trait from the traits pool
	 * Fire Elemental: forest defense 40%
	 * Fire Avatar: forest defense 40%
	 * Rhami: experience from 52 to 48
	 * Rhami'datu: experience from 110 to 114
	 * Rhami'kai: experience from 110 to 114
	 * Novice Summoner: 'scroll' damage from 12 to 11
	 * Water Elemental: cost from 16g to 15g
	** Tharis:
	 * Blade Dancer: movement from 6 to 5; impact resistance from -10% to -20%; 'chakram' damage from 4 to 5 + 'marksman' weapon special
	 * Sword Dancer: movement from 6 to 5; impact resistance from -10% to -20%; cost from 36 to 38
	 * Dark Slayer: hitpoints from 42 to 44
	 * Storm Sphere: cost from 26 to 34	 
 ### Abilities
	* added new "magical (offensive)" weapon special
 ### Code
	* remove the random_leader= key
	* changed order of attacks for Steamcopter so the melee attack is on top
	* fixed a typo in Sculptor's petrifying spell
 ### Descriptions
	* removed a note about secret resistance for Guru
 ### Translations