The Windsong

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Wesnoth complains about "attack animation directly in attack is deprecated".

Could this be fixed, please? I get this message from having Windsong installed, whether I'm actually using it or not.

Thanks.

P.S. Cool era. :)
Truper

Post by Truper »

The Windsong have now been incorporated into the Extended Era, and the animations were recently fixed by Mythological.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Truper wrote:The Windsong have now been incorporated into the Extended Era, and the animations were recently fixed by Mythological.
Okay. The Windsong Era is still available for independent download. You probably want to have that removed from the Campaign server if it's redundant.
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

Hm. Has anyone considered changing the 'Counter' special to simply causing more damage on defense?
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

The original maintainer is gone. :roll:
Better to post the suggestion into the EE thread where the Windsongs are integrated.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

Hello. I am currently working on my own senario and wanted to use the Windsong in it at one point. Since the original creator is gone, who would I have to get permission from in order to use the Windsong in my senario? Since almost everything on this web board is created under one of the major "free to use as your own as long as you credit the original creator(s)" licenses, is permission to use it implied?
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

The most recent Windsong are EE so if you want your campaign to fit their "canon" might as well ask in their thread.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

scienceguy8 wrote:Hello. I am currently working on my own senario and wanted to use the Windsong in it at one point. Since the original creator is gone, who would I have to get permission from in order to use the Windsong in my senario? Since almost everything on this web board is created under one of the major "free to use as your own as long as you credit the original creator(s)" licenses, is permission to use it implied?
Like Aetheryn said, ask Noyga over in the Extended Era thread. Also, you might want to wait until the Windsong are updated to include the new unit descriptions I wrote for them. But again, Noyga knows best when that will be.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

OK, well, since I'm working on these guys again, I figured I might as well resurrect my old thread, if only so I have a place to put my art (as opposed to spamming JW's thread /swt).

Check the top post for an updated tree, which shows all the art I've finished.

Outside of myself, I'd love to hear and discuss any suggestions you might have. Current tweaks on my mind:
  • Increase Weaver's ranged to 9-2; Weavers aren't supposed to be powerhouses, but as it stands they're almost dead weight in most match-ups.
  • Increase HP: Envoy 42 > 44, Herald 53 > 56; this line seems immensely fragile, with smallfoot and Marksman-level HP.
  • Runeforger's Death ranged: firststrike; they're made of glass anyway, and firststrike would actually make a difference in this case.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Just like to say well done on creating a great faction, without doubt my favourite faction in the EOM :D . Plus the art is absolutely wonderful. Look forward to seeing more from these guys in the future.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

My two cents:

a) The Windsong faction is certainly unique and well-defined.

b) However, up until this time there are still some unanswered questions about who they are and especially about how they maintain themselves in existence without males. These questions need to be answered carefully, for they could make or break the faction idea. It was largely to make sure that I would have some input when it came to answering these questions that I volunteered to do Windsong unit descriptions several months ago.

c) The Era of Myths is definitely the best home for them.

So, anyway, here are the questions which jump out at me:

1) Do the Windsong keep up their numbers by secretively recruiting talented, committed women? Or do they do so by genetically manipulating things in order to reproduce without sex? JW and I prefer recruitment and hetsuke seems to prefer genetic manipulation, and we've had a few discussions in the EOM thread, but since you are the original creator of the faction, I would like to know what you think, or whether you would prefer for us all to just agree to disagree.

EDIT: Changed "JB" to "JW."
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on January 24th, 2008, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Well, the Foundation sits on the largest and most isolated island in an archipelago. The other islands play host to a number of cities and settlements, most of which are underground due to the extreme cold; these people are pretty much generic humans, aside from being completely cut off from most of civilization, and it is from their ranks that children are chosen to join the Windsong. These are also the support base for the Foundation, providing the food and other necessities the Windsong can't produce themselves.

In addition, Envoys and Heralds journeying undercover through the mainland occasionally steal children who seem exceptional enough to join and send them back home. This is, of course, done when the children are just infants; members are supposed to have loyalty only to the collective and to each other.

I mean, in reality, you could just as well ask how the Loyalists get by being all-male xD

Or at least that was my idea. :?
hee hee! - little girl
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

megane wrote:Well, the Foundation sits on the largest and most isolated island in an archipelago. The other islands play host to a number of cities and settlements, most of which are underground due to the extreme cold; these people are pretty much generic humans, aside from being completely cut off from most of civilization, and it is from their ranks that children are chosen to join the Windsong. These are also the support base for the Foundation, providing the food and other necessities the Windsong can't produce themselves.

In addition, Envoys and Heralds journeying undercover through the mainland occasionally steal children who seem exceptional enough to join and send them back home. This is, of course, done when the children are just infants; members are supposed to have loyalty only to the collective and to each other.
That makes sense, I guess. I hadn't realized you intended for there to be some other inhabited islands nearby. That greatly simplifies things and allows the Windsong to be a bit more like the Amazons of Greek myth, when it comes to their recruitment methods. Very good.
I mean, in reality, you could just as well ask how the Loyalists get by being all-male xD

Or at least that was my idea. :?
Well, I was acting on the assumption that the Windsong were the only inhabitants of their island and that there were no other islands nearby from which to draw recruits. Seeing this is not what you had in mind, I am satisfied.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Er just like to report an art issue.

The "Savant"'s TC doesnt work. The unit stays pink whilst the faction turns into the right colour. Not too sure if you already knew this.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Quietus wrote:Er just like to report an art issue.

The "Savant"'s TC doesnt work. The unit stays pink whilst the faction turns into the right colour. Not too sure if you already knew this.
It works in-game; it's just wrong on the faction selection screen, due to having "savant.png" rather than "savant.png~RC(1,magenta)." IIRC it's fixed in the next release.
hee hee! - little girl