Swamp Elves (Development Stage:Published/Playtesting)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

the_revenant

Post by the_revenant »

thespaceinvader wrote:Wasn't there already a giant frog that served this purpose?
Looking back through the thread, that was about 2 months ago so im guessing not really, unless it was added. And i think firemaster wanted to use the frog as a completely different line, not as a scout, hence the fire and ice frogs. Though i could see an elf riding a giant frog or toad as a scout.
Someone got to know me well, drowned me in their wishing well, making mistakes, we all do, worst of mine was trusting you a stranger
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
the_revenant wrote:Hmm i like the idea, but would like it alot more if there were more unique sprites in it, for example; for the scout instead of a horse, maybe a terradactyl?
proper spelling: pterodactyl
Yup, though "Terrordactyl" would be a viable fantasy variant...
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'd go with a name inspired by one of the myriad pterodactyl species discovered. Coatl sounds good to me - from Quetzalcoatlas, the biggest known pterosaur.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

thespaceinvader wrote:I'd go with a name inspired by one of the myriad pterodactyl species discovered. Coatl sounds good to me - from Quetzalcoatlas, the biggest known pterosaur.
It would feel a little weird to have a single Aztec-named unit in amongst a faction, IMO.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Good point. There are probably other names which would work, but quetzalcoatlas is the only one i can remember offhand from my dino-obsessed youth...
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
FireMaster

Post by FireMaster »

I'll check in my little brothers Big Book of Prehistoric Creatures.
Just because I'm a master of fire doesn't mean I'll light your "uber candle"
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

FireMaster wrote:I'll check in my little brothers Big Book of Prehistoric Creatures.
I actually doubt that any of the official dinosaur names would be suitable for a mediaeval setting. Some translations of dinosaur names might be suitable, but they seem to pretty much all be just <something>-lizard. Thunder-Lizard, Strange-Lizard, Heavy-Lizard, etc. etc.

Thematic names might be more appropriately mediaeval: Scalewing, Skytalon etc. etc.

Or maybe you could coin names similar to the official names that sound vaguely mediaeval: Ptero, Tyran, Tricer, Bront, etc.
jdsampayo

Post by jdsampayo »

thespaceinvader wrote:I'd go with a name inspired by one of the myriad pterodactyl species discovered. Coatl sounds good to me - from Quetzalcoatlas, the biggest known pterosaur.
Coatl - Serpent
Quetzal - Is the name of a bird with precious feathers

Quetzalcoatl - The feathered serpent.
In quechquixcauh maniz cemanahuatl, ayc pollihuiz yn itenyo, yn itauhca in Mexico-Tenochtitlan
As long as the world exists, no one will forget the glory and honor of Mexico-Tenochtitlan - Culhuacan memorial
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I know that the Questzal is a feathered bird. I steered away from that name for just that reason.

Here's some names whih might work...

* Suborder Rhamphorhynchoidea *
o Family Dimorphodontidae
o Family Anurognathidae
o Family Campylognathoididae
o Family Rhamphorhynchidae
* Suborder Pterodactyloidea
o Superfamily Ornithocheiroidea
+ Family Istiodactylidae
+ Family Ornithocheiridae
+ Family Pteranodontidae
+ Family Nyctosauridae
o Superfamily Ctenochasmatoidea
+ Family Gallodactylidae
+ Family Pterodactylidae
+ Family Ctenochasmatidae
o Superfamily Dsungaripteroidea
+ Family Germanodactylidae
+ Family Dsungaripteridae
o Superfamily Azhdarchoidea
+ Family Lonchodectidae
+ Family Tapejaridae
+ Family Azhdarchidae
FireMaster

Post by FireMaster »

Just a thought,not from any dinosaur,but how about Dragon Bird? In a medievil setting that would work.........yeah.......
FireMaster

Post by FireMaster »

WOHOO! A very nice person has fixed the Swamp Elves! As soon as I compile 1.3.12 they will go onto the mp server.
Lord Of Weapons And Magic

Post by Lord Of Weapons And Magic »

FireMaster wrote:WOHOO! A very nice person has fixed the Swamp Elves! As soon as I compile 1.3.12 they will go onto the mp server.
Glad to hear that, but the version for the Mainline doesnt works, problems with some cfg´s 16,17 and 18 if memory doesnt fails me.