RPG in wesnoth

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheLost1

Post by TheLost1 »

Eternal wrote: EDIT: My RPG-plan also had this "world map" system. My map, though, would've been something like 200x200 and have way too many locations to be healthy. :D
I have been thinking about a world map for an RPG too, but decided it would be way too much work.
The dragons are all colour-coded,
Some consider this system outmoded.
This was not preordained
Gary Gygax explained,
"My box of Crayolas exploded."
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Eternal wrote:I'm sorry I can't help with your problem there but...

I had been planning this kind of rpg stuff/campaign myself. I just had the leveling system planned much more boringly:
Level 0 => Tons of level 1 units from which one is chosen (sort of a class system) => Plenty of advancement possibilities for each level 1 class.... and so on.

Basically one helluva forky advancement tree. :oops:

Your plans are very interesting indeed and I would most certainly like to play it... and perhaps even aid you if I am able. :)
We'll just have to see about that, and probably I could only help with artistic stuff or mapmaking, since I'm not much of a WML-Wizard.

EDIT: My RPG-plan also had this "world map" system. My map, though, would've been something like 200x200 and have way too many locations to be healthy. :D
Thanks a lot :)

The main thing that I can think of right now is level 4 and 5 graphics for the units used. There is, of course, no rush on this, considering that I am still working on stats for the first level of units :P.

That leads me to the other question I had for those that are greater in WML knowledge than: how do you specify a level up after 10 sublevels.
I don't know what specific tags would do this but, with english it would be something like

if 10 {SL_Tough} or 10 {Sl_Strong}(or any combination of the above of course) then advance to (level 2 unit).

Just a quick overview of my current progress: I have all the first level configs done, with non-final stats. They are put into an era of their own purely for playtesting(if it's found to be enjoyable, I might leave it in a more final version. Once I get all the SL macros working properly, I'll put it up on the campaign server.

Thanks.

P.S. Sorry for the double post
Sorry for the meaningless post
Inigo Montoya

Post by Inigo Montoya »

romnajin wrote:how do you specify a level up after 10 sublevels.
I don't know what specific tags would do this but, with english it would be something like

if 10 {SL_Tough} or 10 {Sl_Strong}(or any combination of the above of course) then advance to (level 2 unit).
Um, yeah...something like "N=0, for each SL_event N=N+1, if N=10 then level-up".

Sadly the SL effects don't trigger advancement events...there's a hackish solution involving variable-checking at turn-start and after any fights*, I can't do anything right now though because my main computer's defragging and I don't have the game installed on this one. I do have an answer to this though, I'll get on it later when I'm able to test it, and post it when it works.

In case anybody feels like doing it first, the idea is that at the start of the turn, {STORE_UNIT_VAR} for the 'hero' unit's max HP, attack damage and any other stat that can be SL-boosted. Then store them again after every battle involving that unit (when it might potentially have SL'ed). If the two values are different then add 1 to a variable 'SL_count'. When SL_count=9, change the unit's advanceto option to allow it to advance to the next 'real' level (new unit). As long as the SL advancements all include the line 'strict_amla=yes', the new advancement will override them.

When the unit advances (really advances), reset SL_count to 0. The unit being advanced to has the same advance options as before (no new unit, but a series of SL options)
I don't exist when you don't see me...
I don't exist when you're not here.

You bought a mask - I put it on.
You never thought to ask me if I wear it when you're gone.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

old
Last edited by romnajin on June 10th, 2007, 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

I'm working on this project again, now that it's summer time and I have a lot more free time to work with. Atm I'm mostly working on map making(better than those I posted above). However, to test my units I still want to get my multiplayer era working, if anyone would help it would be appreciated.

Code: Select all

#ifdef MULTIPLAYER
[binary_path]

path=data/campaigns/RPG_Wesnoth/mp

[/binary_path]

[+units]

{@campaigns/RPG_Wesnoth/units}

[/units]

#endif

Code: Select all

[era]
id=testrpg
name= _ "Test RPG"
[multiplayer_side]
	id=Heroes
	name={MENU_IMG_TXT "/units/human-peasants/peasant" (_"Heroes")}
	leader=Archer, Mage, Thief, Warrior
	recruit=null
[/multiplayer_side]
[/era]
And a last thing, I still haven't figured out a way to make a unit advance to a different type of unit, after having gained a certain number of AMLAs.

Thanks
VPeric

Post by VPeric »

This sounds great! I hope you do end up making something.

In fact, I pretty much only registered here to express my support for this.