Aléidh

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

-wight-

Aléidh

Post by -wight- »

I thought of this faction for a campaign I’m making. The Aléidh is a faction of satyrs loosely based on ancient Gaelic culture. They will be distantly related to elves and will live in areas of hills and plains. The will have a standing army encompassing those within the soldier line but in times of need the countrymen take arms and fight along side the regulars. When the need is dire the spirits of fallen heroes will return to fight for the Aléidh. The difference in this faction is the use of abilities. This faction would not be used to overpower opponents instead relying on abilities to get advantages. Most units gain abilities and are mainly used to strengthen small groups.

Code: Select all

Aléidh

Warrior   –>Champion    –>Legend (melee line, weak ranged, good attack, average defence, gains hew ability)
          –>Guard       –>Guardian (support line, good defence, good hp, guardian ability)

Bard      –>Melodist    –>Balladist (support line, weak, enlightenment ability)

Spirit    –>Eidolon     –>archaic (undead, hard to hit, low hp, regeneration ability)

Archer    –>Hunter      –>Ranger (ranged line, weak melee)

Soldier   –>Spearman    –>Dualist (rounded line, good melee, good ranged,
          –>Leftenant   –>Captain (rounded support line, good melee, average ranged, leadership ability)

Scout     –>Wanderer    –>Adventurer (scout line, good speed over most terrain, hard to hit, low hp)

Abilities

Hew	            –> 	when an enemy is hit by this weapon the will receive six damage the following turn.

Guardian          –> 	units standing next to the guardian receive extra defence.

Enlightenment 	 –> 	near by friendly and allied units have their morale changed to day time.
Any comments or advice?
scott

Post by scott »

Sounds good, get to work!

You should try to come up with ways to create this race and incorporate it into other factions rather than trying to make a uniracial faction out of these units alone. For example, maybe some of these units could combine with some Northerner or Knalgan units to make a new faction. However, that's really jumping the gun considering the amount of work you have ahead of you.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Guardian ability sounds like something that's been refused before...

And Enlightenment sounds too powerful.... always daytime? Why not just one stage brighter, a la Illuminate?

My only two naggling points. So far. The tree looks excellent.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Guardian ability sounds like something that's been refused before...
Well, at least no one can refuse it in this case.
-wight-

Post by -wight- »

what if instead of giving a bouns to their defence it reduces each attacks damage to the allied target by 1... or something. the abilities are there to make the faction different, they are also there because the are pretty weak compare to other units.
Flametrooper

Re: Aléidh

Post by Flametrooper »

Somehow this seems similar to the Celtic faction that I'm working on, but I suppose you can have it. It's not like I can stop you, after all, I'm just warning you of the similarity.
:idea: Suppose your faction is not, in fact, human, but distantly related to elves like you said; they could inhabit the Green isle around the same time as, or possibly before, the Celts (who still need a name), and the two could interact, but rarely, as they seem similar enough to figures/creatures of ancient Celtic legend.
You've got some good ideas here, though, I've gotta say.
hey.
-wight-

Re: Aléidh

Post by -wight- »

Flametrooper wrote:Somehow this seems similar to the Celtic faction that I'm working on
sorry didn't see that thread, if it changes any thing the Aléidh are the the Irish end of gealic cultre and arnt as nature based as your celts seem to be.
Flametrooper wrote:they could inhabit the Green isle around the same time as, or possibly before, the Celts
sound good to me if thats not also where the celts are aswell.afterall too many similarities cant be good.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I think we are coming to the point were new continents are really needed. The Era of Myths already put like 6 more factions. The whole Imperial Era has used up his continent completely too.

Anyway, just foor dor thought. I don't want Wesnoth to become as dense as modern Tokyo.

*looks*

Oh, what a horrible typo. Mental note, mental note...
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
-wight-

Post by -wight- »

ok heres the scout, its not finished btw.
things left to do:
. change hair colour
. make skin lighter
. shading
am i on the right track?
Attachments
made from the sidhe fury
made from the sidhe fury
scout.PNG (1.73 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

The legs are odd shaped... I don't know why...
scott

Post by scott »

Ryorin wrote:The legs are odd shaped... I don't know why...
Because they're goat legs.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

I mean besides that, the perspective is off.
-wight-

Post by -wight- »

ryorin wrote:The legs are odd shaped... I don't know why...
'his' right leg is supposed to be bracing himself whilst his left leg is holding his weight. if that helps.
-wight-

Post by -wight- »

first off i would like to appologise for the extreme case of topic necromancy but i found very little time to do any thing with all the sleeping i was doing. but i have now (after learning the basics of GIMP) made the scout line.

scout > wanderer > adventurer.

they arnt finished but are up for critisism. also if anyone had any ideas for decoration for the hight levels please share because im running short of ideas.
Attachments
adventurer.PNG
adventurer.PNG (4.7 KiB) Viewed 4209 times
wanderer.PNG
wanderer.PNG (3.64 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
scout.PNG
scout.PNG (3.11 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

The level-3 one needs something to set him apart more from the level-2, maybe a helmet or a big pendant, or a cloak.

Also, black outlines make them look a bit cartoony - try doing the outlines in a darker shade of whatever colour you're outlining. They look good though, aside from that.
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.