Titans

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish Orc Slayer

Titans

Post by Elvish Orc Slayer »

I got a new faction idea. the Titans!! they are a giant race, taller than trolls that were wiped from earth years ago after a massive war vs. both the Orcs and Drakes. i was going to put them into 2 campaigns. their fall (when they lost to the Drakes and Orc) and their rise (present day Wesnoth where they fight the Drakes and the undead. here is the unit tree

Titan Recruit (0) -> Titan Warrior (1) -> Titan Commander (2) -> Titan Stratagest (3) -> Titan Battle Lord (4) -> God of War (5)

Titan Recruit (0) -> Titan Warrior (1) -> Lionhard Rider (2) -> Lionhard Ranger (3) -> Master of Lionhards (4)

Titan Storm Brewer(1) -> Titan Storm Master (2)

Titan Storm Brewer(1) -> Titan Lightning Thrower (2) -> Titan Thunderlord (3)

Titan Worshiper (1) -> Titan Follower (2) -> Titan Enchantor (3)

Titan Scout (1) -> Titan Patroller (2) -> Titan Seaker (3)

Titan Cloud Maker (1) -> Titan Cloud Shifter (2)

Titan Hunter (1) -> Titan Assassin (2) -> Titan Nightmarcher (3)

Those are more or less what the units are. I want to add more, but maybe later. If anyone can help with making the unit graphics that would be great.

Basically the Titans have damage power unmached. Their size and strength give them a great advantage over all units. Their weakness lies in their number of attacks and lack of damage when ranged. Titans until level 2-3 have 1-2 strikes. A unit with slow (like a Goblin Pillager) will be able to expliot this weakness. Also, mages and archers can easily take down a Warrior Titan.

Lionhards are flying Lions similar to those on the English coat of arms. They can eventually breath fire and use fire claws.

The main weapon of a Titan is a club. Titan Storm Brewers are the mages/archers of the Titan force. The Worshipers are the healers. The Titan Scouts are...well...scouts. The Cloud Makers are healing and mages and the Hunters are good for taking out a single unit.

Comments and help on this project would be great. Any advice also is welcome

The Elvish Orc Slayer
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Titans

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Elvish Orc Slayer wrote:If anyone can help with making the unit graphics that would be great.
:lol: ROFL. :lol:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
JW

Post by JW »

There really should be sticky in this forum for...

...oh wait nm.

.....good luck.....
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

JW wrote:There really should be sticky in this forum for...
But it needs to be rephrased.

How about:
Proposing a new faction idea is a very foolish thing to do. Especially if you have no graphical talent. This is because chances are very slim that anyone is going to volunteer to do faction art for you. You are going to wind up with a unit tree, maybe some stats, and nothing else. That doesn't help anyone, and it wastes everyone's time.

If you are unlucky enough to actually get art, though, it gets worse. Because chances are your faction idea sucks. And getting art for a faction idea that sucks is very bad for turin's morale, because it means he has to explain why your faction, even though it has art, will never make it into the WoW.

And if you get good artwork, good stats, and good descriptions, and if you manage to convince everyone except turin that it should go in the WoW, and if you manage to get it official somehow even though turin still hates it... turin will be angry at you for all eternity.
[/OT]
:P

BTW, the very idea of titans fighting on a level plane with other factions is absurd, IMHO... titans should be level 6, do 100 damage per attack, and have 1000 hp.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
kiet

Post by kiet »

Wow,I really lost count of how many people there are that make ideas about factions but never make the arts themselves.
If you want a faction,you better draw one.
BTW, the very idea of titans fighting on a level plane with other factions is absurd, IMHO... titans should be level 6, do 100 damage per attack, and have 1000 hp.
No,no,no,you have so wrong.
They would squish a unit before it can even prepare for a counterattack and their level should be at least 8. :P
Elvish_Pillager

No way, they would squish the whole map before anyone could blink, and they should be at least level 1337.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
JW

Post by JW »

Elvish Pillager wrote: they should be at least level 1337.
Those are, coincidentally (well, it's actually not a coincidence) the last 4 digits of my phone number. :wink:

Seriously though, I see the Titan as being like a level 4 or 5 unit for a campaign or something, not as a faction that fights Humans et al. In Greek mythology Titans are as powerful as gods.
Elvish_Pillager

JW wrote:In Greek mythology Titans are as powerful as gods.
In Greek mythology, Titans were gods. (They were bigger. Big deal.)
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
JW wrote:In Greek mythology Titans are as powerful as gods.
In Greek mythology, Titans were gods. (They were bigger. Big deal.)
didn't help, now did it :)

I think that this person shouldmake a greek mythology era for his titans...
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

JW wrote:Seriously though, I see the Titan as being like a level 4 or 5 unit for a campaign or something, not as a faction that fights Humans et al. In Greek mythology Titans are as powerful as gods.
Honestly, I can't see Titans being as low as level 4 (that would mean they're only as powerful as a Great Mage), and being as low as level 5 would be a stretch, although since there are no other level 5s (Delfador, although technically level 5, doesn't count) it could work. From what I recall of greek myths, Titans could not be killed any more than the new gods like Zeus could. What happened was, the new gods led by Zeus managed to trap them in Tartarus. Other than that, Atlas was stoned by Perseus, but that doesn't mean Perseus could have actually defeated him...

Having a titan unit would be like having a Morgoth or a Sauron unit, or like having an Archangel unit (although unfortunately not everyone finds that as absurd as they should).

The only place I could see it working is in a campaign; and then, you should not be able to kill him normally. Your objective should be to defeat him, but you should have to use non-standard tactics - like maybe he is only vulnerable to one damage type, or he is invulnerable, so you have to stone him.

[edit]
OTOH, it is actually feasible in WML to make a faction where you start out with a level 5 leader, and you can recruit other level 5 units, but once you recruit a unit it disappears from your recruitment list. So it would be a faction consisting of 2-3 uber-units, picked out of a list of maybe 20, running around the battlefield. You could, for example, be playing as Zeus; you decide to recruit Athena to your side, which costs 50 gold; after that, you cannot recruit Athena. It would be sort of like a simulated recall list.
Last edited by turin on June 21st, 2006, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Proposing a new faction idea is a very foolish thing to do. Especially if you have no graphical talent. This is because chances are very slim that anyone is going to volunteer to do faction art for you. You are going to wind up with a unit tree, maybe some stats, and nothing else. That doesn't help anyone, and it wastes everyone's time.
I'd argue that it's not a foolish thing to do so long as you're willing to put in some hard yards yourself. Even if the faction's a complete failure you'll learn a lot out of it.

BTW, I agree that the Titans won't make a balanced MP faction, but they could make an interesting campaign faction; a handful of Titans vs the massed human (et al.) armies.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Titans were more powerful than the Greek gods. Not less so, however an archangel is not a god, it's an angel. Furthermore turin, the Celestials aren't "angels" they are a race were some members grow wings and they all worship some "Light Archon" thingies. Duh.
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
JW

Post by JW »

[OT]I don't think turin was referencing the Celestials.[/OT]

I do think that beginning to create a faction is very good experience. Your first idea/attempt will probably not work too well as you won't have any idea how much work it takes. The next time around you can plan for the difficulties in advance.

Just a warning: this faction doesn't make sense in the context of the MP factions that are currently available. If you just want big dudes that are powerful, try Giants. They might combine well with Ettins, Bugbears, and the like.

btw, I am actually being serious on that suggestion. I'm not sure how interesting the faction could become, but there it is.

One interesting idea for such a faction would be they have no level 1 recruits and everything starts at level 2 - kinda like the "recruit gods" idea (only they would still be available after recruiting). Prices might be hard to balance, but it would be a unique style of play. There would be problems such as a lack of flexibilty in recruits (moneycrunched), but their power would have to balance it out.

It would be an interesting challenge.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

This all really depends on what you were aiming at for titans, do you mean titans, as in the greek legends, or titans as giants?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

JW wrote:[OT]I don't think turin was referencing the Celestials.[/OT]
Correct. I was actually referencing the game Heroes of Might and Magic, which has both Archangels and Titans as recruitable units... ugh. :(
The World of Orbivm