The Era of Myths 5.19.0

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

megane
Art Contributor

Re: The Era of Myths: 2 years old, handing over for a while.

Post by megane »

Melon wrote:Thanks for ignoring everything I ever post.
:?: Excuse me?

Just because your suggestions are not immediately implemented does not mean they're being ignored; as far as I can tell JW literally went through your most recent post point by point, noting which ideas were good and which were not. Velensk either just hasn't put said ideas in yet -- he's a volunteer, and damned busy already, and many of your ideas are fairly invasive and would require significant amounts of work -- or he's decided not to follow them, also a perfectly reasonable option. He's the maintainer at the moment, and gets to decide what to act on and when to act on it.

In any case, there's no reason to be mad. What exactly do you want us to take note of? Your proposal for completely rewriting the Therian tree? If so, then no surprise it hasn't been done yet. You can't expect such a massive change to take place overnight; coding it would take quite an effort, not to mention the fact that the balancing issues involved haven't even begun to be considered.

I apologize if I seem rude, but, well, we don't work for you. When you post a suggestion, you have to remember that it is exactly that: a suggestion, not a mandate. Velensk and JW have, as far as I can tell, done a pretty good job of responding to everything you've suggested, but they have no obligation to do so whatsoever, and certainly no obligation to follow those suggestions.

I personally am contributing to the EoM (and Wesnoth in general) because it's enjoyable, not because I want to be in control of things, and I would like to think that's why you're doing so as well.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

As Megane said, I have been very busy. Dispite what it may seem from the place you see me I do have allot more going on in my life than wesnoth. This week I've had extra time to give because of spring break, which is the olny reason I got so much done so fast. Even then I'm not going to spend all my time on this. I did not ignore your post, I read it, and I don't want to go uprooting the whole Therian tree. I have further difrentated the shaman/mage, I disabled the sand skipper temperarily (as in until I have good art to diffentiate between the snakes). I don't have the art for a lvl 3 gaurd, and I'm waiting untill I get it to create a unit for it. Instead of getting rid of the spitting cobra I changed it.

I have done something about every issue you've brought up (except the lvl 2 cat idea) that I can do quickly right now. I did it in the way that seems best to me.

I will likely not use all your suggestions, however I appreciate having other peoples ideas/thoughts to bounce of my own. You mentioning that got allot done that was an over-all improvement, even if it was not done in the way you suggested.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

I have another fiddly idea. The vampire Methusalem (and Sire too i think) has a 'dementia stare' arcane ranged attack. It seems to be based on the idea that powerful vampires can mess with the weak minded. So i thought it would be interesting if the dementia stare caused actual dementia by making the victim 'dumber' or to forget stuff. Units with the intelligent trait lvl up faster, so intelligence must be linked to experience. So would it be possible for the dementia stare to do 'damage' to the victim's experience, perhaps half of the physical damage?

Just an idea really, and i guess it doesn't sound particularly useful but i thought i'd throw it out there.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I'm going to go ahead and release version Delta 2 after posting this, I figure it would be a good idea to ship out all the balancing changes, and new art, before tomorrow when my progress on this will slow down to a much slower pace. (I don't work on sundays, and after that then I've got to go back to school/work)

Code: Select all

Version Delta 2

---General changes
*New art
*More descriptions

---unit changes
*a few minor tweaks to upper lvl units

-Windsong
*Weaver line arcane resist now 40% 
*Scribe line arcane resist now 20% 
*Seeker lightning damage +1 

-Devilings
*sneak move reduced by 1 
*moderate tweaking of deviling move-types
*deviling nailer damange on nail'em reduced by 1 

-Vampires
*Obediant now only decreases hp/xp by 5% rather than 10%
*Margoyals given blood hulks AMLA

-Elementals
* Lvl 3 for zepher line
* Tidals melle attack back to impact (experiment)
* Brazeir line gets 50%/1mv on sand now

-Warg
* Firesprite replaced with will'o'wisp
Thanks to all contributers.

I'll continue to workon/test this era in my free time. In the art thread is a list of art needed for anyone who wishes to contribute that way. Good luck to anyone who is working on a campain.

Someone has suggested that the warg water unit be some form of giant vermin, he reckomended muskrat. I figure this could work as an amphibiouse unit to replace the naga with. As an alternative we could just use a swarm of them rather than a giant one (this would also make it easier to distinguish between this unit and other units, and there is art for a rat swarm that I could use). I'd like some feedback before I impliment this, or ask for art for art for a giant rat.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Did you fix "race^Warg" on the help file race list instead of "Warg"?
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

is anyone else on Windows having a problem to install Era of Myths ?
it says Error while creating the files
"There was a problem while creating the files necessary to install this add-on"
I tried a fresh install of 1.4

am still getting the error with a fresh install
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Devling Fan

Post by Devling Fan »

Hearing about the Devling getting nerfed was a little disheartening but I assume you know whats best for the era. :) Just noticed tho, that playing as Devling against the other races tends to be hard to do. Maybe it's just people are having a harder time adapting to their different style of play. I have noticed that against big units or evasive units like Ghosts or Bloodbrutes there is little you can do as Devling to stop them.

I would be opposed to a distract unit for Devling myself, as I feel skirmisher is the Sneak's main virtue and being able to somehow give all units skirmisher would make Devling a bit too powerful in terms of village stealing.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Sapient wrote:is anyone else on Windows having a problem to install Era of Myths ?

Yup, me too.
Devling Fan

Post by Devling Fan »

Neoskel wrote:
Sapient wrote:is anyone else on Windows having a problem to install Era of Myths ?

Yup, me too.
Thirded.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Velensk http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 60#p290260
In future do not set a special chmod/chown rights on uploaded files, it doesn't work on FAT32 ;)
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I do not remember setting any special rights or demands to the files, I can olny remember doing exactly what I did last time. How would I fix this?

EDIT: @deviling fan: No devilings needed a nerf seriously I played several diffrent games, if you have trouble playing devilings against a human you are probably playing them wrong (see earleir replay). They do have trouble against ghosts, but amoung other things I'm not balancing against mainline yet, and otherwize sneaks do great. They are your primary damage dealer they hit as hard about as hard as a grunt when backstabbing, and can get to any hex next to the target. Against blood hulks eliminate support then gang them with flappers (which you should have a couple of against vampires) cursers, and sneaks and the ranged damage piles up quite quickly, use a nailer to finish the hulk off for good odds of an instant lvl. Against enemies that are good at dodgeing use cursers.

I know nailers are fun, however they don't work great as a main unit against other humans (though it is always good to have one or two around incase you need to do 17 damage in one hit or something simular)

If this turns out to be an overnerf I'll reverse it somewhat, however I need to see multiple games between two good players who know what they are doing to prove an imbalance to me.

EDIT2: I've made a change that should have fixxed it. Try it again, and if you get problems report back.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Allright, you owe me one ;)

Thanks to a helping hand form grrr (getting it off the server on linux and sending zipped) I know what's wrong. And it's all your fault ;) :D
You added a Will'o'Wisp, but you called the file in a way that's illegal on windows. This

e1 Will'o'Wisp".cfg
needs to change into this

e1 Will'o'Wisp.cfg
because file name on windows cannot contain any of these:

" / \ < > * ? :
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Thx Mist. I'll get that fixed and upload it immediatly.

EDIT: It's up. It't annoying how such a small accident (I'm pretty sure I didn't mean to add it) can cause so much trouble.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Mist wrote:because file name on windows cannot contain any of these:

" / \ < > * ? :
I never knew that...

EoM has proven that now there can be a Linux-only Era. :twisted:
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
binaryquasar

Post by binaryquasar »

not your fault making such a small mistake its windows inflexibility and general annoyingness that is at fault.

thanks for delta 2 and keep up the good work :D