The Era of Myths 5.19.0

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Espreon
Inactive Developer

Re: unit graphics

Post by Espreon »

nobody5 wrote:Erm, I made my own unit, and I 'borrowed' some graphics ("holy-sentinel.png").
Is that O.K. with you?
I also made my own graphics for it (mixed yours and mine).
If it's O.K. then I will post it on the forum.

P.S. --Thanks!
If you are going to release your content under the GPL, then it would be all right to use that image.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: The Era of Myths e7: need feedback on Devling playstyle

Post by Turuk »

Not only is it okay, you really do not even have to ask in the future given that everything available from the server is under GPL. However, it is always polite to do so.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
nobody5

Post by nobody5 »

I published the add-on. If you like to see it, search for:

Nobody5's Unit Pack

on the server.

Again, thanks for the graphics (I wrote a 'copying' file in which I mentioned the graphics borrowing).

--nobody5
JW

Post by JW »

Turuk wrote:Not only is it okay, you really do not even have to ask in the future given that everything available from the server is under GPL. However, it is always polite to do so.
Indeed. This is all GPL. I don't own any of it, neither does Velensk, or Turuk, or any other member. We have all spent our time without compensation to produce these works so they can be shared without need for our consent to be used.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

Is it just me or are the warg overpowered? they have movement that is, on average, much to0 good. they move in forest like elves and have elven speed, and move on hills and mountains like orcs. They are also do very good damage, and have decent hp. something must be done!

2 do a comparison: the warrior wolf does more damage, is faster, has more hp and better defenses and better resists than the orc grunt. the only thing that makes it more is that it's 4 gold more expensive. i think they should change the warg. This will also be posted on the EOM forum.

problems: the warrior wolf and his advancements. the lvl 1 version is a too strong and the lvl 3 fenrir's war axe is to strong. otherwise, it's just the movement and defense that causes problems.
also the stalker does 8-2, which is alot compared to the footpad, for example. in this case, the defenses and movements for him are decent considering hi is a scout, however.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I'm not in charge of this anymore but I'll still talk you through this. You're overreacting.

A few pages back you'll find someone claiming that the Warrior Wolf is to expensive for what amounts to a souped up grunt with elven forest defence and movement. I don't realy agree with this, I too find the Warrior Wolf to be a very powerful base unit. However the point that it is an expensive base unit still stands. You could have 4 grunts for the cost of three warg and the grunts would definatly have more base power (though not nearly the mobility). Comparing the stalker to a footpad is a rather pointless comparison. Footpads are much cheaper, dodge better, are weaker, and have a ranged attack. They fill a diffrent role although they are both "scouts". The most important factor though, is that all the other factions in the EoM can fight warg on a relativly equal level. If you disagree, then please provide more evidence such as a replay between skilled players ect. (to be honust, you could well be right. However you need to back yourself up more. It's not like this era has only been made and not played. We've all fought with and against warg here.)

I noticed your post in the Ageless Era and I have to say this about it (not to start a flamewar or anything) but it was never aimed for balance. I'm sure that they are constantly trying to improve the balance (they may even be doing a good job of it), however the era is simply too big; with factions thrown in because these factions were individualy cool, to be balanced. The undead are incredibly underpowerd against the celestials, the various dwarf factions are unbalanced against each other, ect. Add to this the fact that the era comes with a large number of maps which are not very well balanced for a good deal of the match-ups (for example it's pointless to play any of the dwarf factions vs any of the elf factions on the woodland map, and most factions don't stand up to the drakes or saurians on the desert map. I'm sure that they appreciate balance suggestions aimed at them though however I wouldn't base balance judgement on experiances with it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

the maps are hardly ever used, for one thing.

i would just like 2 point out that drake fighter is more expensive then warrior wolf.
also, the 4 orcs are hopelessly outmatched against the warg in almost any terrain. most common terrain at all are hills, forest and mountains. the warg can escape very fast through all of these. the injured warg could run, heal, and be back. the movement makes these wolves overpowered in these ways (in my opinion): chasing. almost any terrain against any faction. on orcs they catch up in the forest, on elves in they catch up in hills. i think they should at least be 1 gold more expensive.

This doesn't change the fact that the fenrir does too much damage and should be weakened a bit.

you say that all factions are balanced against warg. vampires have only blood mages. which are slow. and fragile. they can easily be taken care of by wolves. the vampire fighters are all weak too fire as well, and the warg have that fire fairy guy whose name i forgot. which has good defense everywhere, is fast and i think can take out a vampire during the night. i'm not sure as i haven't played eom for a bit.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

wesfreak wrote:the maps are hardly ever used, for one thing.

i would just like 2 point out that drake fighter is more expensive then warrior wolf.
also, the 4 orcs are hopelessly outmatched against the warg in almost any terrain. most common terrain at all are hills, forest and mountains. the warg can escape very fast through all of these. the injured warg could run, heal, and be back. the movement makes these wolves overpowered in these ways (in my opinion): chasing. almost any terrain against any faction. on orcs they catch up in the forest, on elves in they catch up in hills. i think they should at least be 1 gold more expensive.

This doesn't change the fact that the fenrir does too much damage and should be weakened a bit.

you say that all factions are balanced against warg. vampires have only blood mages. which are slow. and fragile. they can easily be taken care of by wolves. the vampire fighters are all weak too fire as well, and the warg have that fire fairy guy whose name i forgot. which has good defense everywhere, is fast and i think can take out a vampire during the night. i'm not sure as i haven't played eom for a bit.
Starting at the top:
I didn't say they were, I was just using it as a point to illustrate the Ageless eras additude.

Drake fighter is even more mobile, does even more damage, has even more hp (IIRC). Infact the only thing that the warg has on it is high defences and less vulnerabilities. Those are important I know, however they arn't everything.

Warg are not balanced against default factions, they are balanced against Era of Myths factions. The warg would have a hard time running if they get ZoCed by the grunts. Also I'd point out that warg have less defence on villages, which are a critical peice of terrain however uncommon. The warrior wolf used to cost 17. Their cost was decreased because the warg were struggleing. EDIT: of course, that was in the period before JW came back and caused a massive change in the faction. I would never have consented to giving the warg a slowing attack amoung other things. The blackfur used to to cost 21 have an extra point of damage and nightstalk. Now it's just an expensive durable theif. I havn't played much since that happened.

If you really think that vampires are so helpless against warg then the next time you see me on the server feel free to challange me to a EoM game. I'll play vampires, you play warg and try to prove your point. You are missing quite a bit if you say that apprentices are the only thing the vampires have to fight the warg.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Sorry for double post but this is a bug report. The therians appear to be able to recruit level 2 cats in default+EoM.

EDIT: more bug report, you still have not included movement costs and defenses for reef in the general macro. This is something that will become obvious to anyone who plays my campaign (where for example the windsong prophetess who uses normal smallfoot will be able to move through reef but the crusaders and zealots who use EoM_smallfoot will not be able to do so.

EDIT2: the celestial quester is level 3 for some reason, it should be level 2.
darkscholar

Post by darkscholar »

I'm not sure if it was a bug/glitch and it got fixed, or it was supposed to be in there.. but Blood mages? or Blood manipulators (one of em or the whole mage line of vampires) had 100% defense on chasm bridges. Is that supposed to happen? last I played that happened...
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Re: The Era of Myths e8

Post by Espreon »

Era of Myths Epsilon 8/5.8 has been released; it has been uploaded to the addons server for both 1.6 and 1.7.x. And as usual, packages and xdeltas are available on SourceForge. The packages for 1.7.x have the -1.7 suffix.

This release addresses the bugs that were recently reported, as well as some minor issues.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: The Era of Myths e8: bug fixes

Post by Velensk »

I'm glad to see you're still working on this, thanks.
chaoticwanderer

Post by chaoticwanderer »

Just posting to say that I recently downloaded the era of myths and I have to say I love it! Keep up the great work! If this era could just get some more artwork it would be epic.

That said, I have some suggestions/questions

It seems that the attack animations go by really fast, a lot faster than default. Perhaps slow the animations speed a bit?

Also, why is the malborn(7 gold) weaker than its level zero version, the bloodborn(8 gold)? Doesn't that somewhat defeat the purpose of leveling entirely? (Considering you're now paying income for this unit)

My last suggestion is flavor-related, regarding the blood apprentice's 'blood boil' attack. Thematically that name makes sense, except it's a bit odd when that attack is used against 'bloodless' creatures, (abstractions, elementals, other vamps)
Perhaps something in the unit description should say something along the lines of:

"However, the unique magic of the blood manipulators allows for more than attacking creatures of living flesh. It can be used against those not truly alive as well, damaging the magical composititon of such beings, useful against many of the vampires' numerous enemies, as well as helpful in keeping their own in line"

My last thing to point out (not sure if this is the right place) is that in one of velensk's maps from the map pack there is a bug that won't let that map load.
The RNG helps those who help themselves.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

the malborn's dagger has poison, the bloodborn's doesn't. the malborn also has more strikes than the bloodborn.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
chaoticwanderer

Post by chaoticwanderer »

But then why does it cost less??
The RNG helps those who help themselves.