New castle grapchics (?)

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

turin wrote:I was actually talking about the unit images, which definitely have a light source from the north-east, not south-east. However, since it appears you are right that all terrain has shadows from the south-east, I withdraw my complaint.

The reason I noticed the shadows with the castles, and with nothing else, is they are much more noticeable here - the tall, thin towers cast very noticeable shadows, as opposed to the villages, which don't.
Unit images shouldn't (and mostly don't) cast shadows to the right or left. If they did it would look odd when they flipped.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
halleck

Post by halleck »

With the exeption of the half-door thing i thought the castle looked fine. I didnt really notice the shadow. :|
Screw it... I can go without a sig.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

I've made a possible fix for the keep door problem. Here is the screenshot and the fixed tiles. Note that the corrected graphics don't mix with the old keep at all!
Attachments
keep-fix.png
keep-fix.png (64.36 KiB) Viewed 4951 times
keep-fix.zip
(56.7 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

I've drawn more ruin variations: ruin-concave-sw done. 5/12 ruined.

I've also started to sink the castle. The tiles should work with the swamp too. concave-sw, convex-se and convex-sw are done. There are some problems with partially sunken castles, but even the old tiles don't match well together then.

About the shadows. The light comes from the same direction as with the other buildings. If there is something which bothers someone, please go ahead an fix it. I've worked with them too long already and therefore I really couldn't care less.
Attachments
ruin-concave-sw.zip
(21.46 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
sunken-castle-1.zip
(90.43 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
preview.png
preview.png (49.14 KiB) Viewed 4935 times
freim

Post by freim »

Commited. The keep fix seemed to work as it should. Great work pekka.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

ruin-concave-se done plus some new sunken ruin tiles. Precisely one half of the new castle tiles has been ruined and sunked, yippee...
Attachments
ruin-concave-se.zip
(21.59 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
various-sunken-ruin-tiles.zip
(95 KiB) Downloaded 383 times
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

pekka wrote:I've also started to sink the castle. The tiles should work with the swamp too. concave-sw, convex-se and convex-sw are done. There are some problems with partially sunken castles, but even the old tiles don't match well together then.

About the shadows. The light comes from the same direction as with the other buildings. If there is something which bothers someone, please go ahead an fix it. I've worked with them too long already and therefore I really couldn't care less.
The shaddows are correct.
The new sunken castle looks good, but the greater degree of sunkenness does concern me. It is an alias of shallow water and castle. (i believe best Def / worst MV is the default now?) Your version looks nearly useless for humans and other landwalkers.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Eleazar: You might be right. I based the new tiles directly to the older ones and the older walls are also under water, which should be impossible in shallow water. Maybe those tiles shouldn't be used with shallow water at all just because of that.

BTW, the current swamp terrain looks also impassable for land units. At least for me..
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

More new castle ruin tiles:
Attachments
ruin-concave-w.zip
(27.88 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
sunken-ruin-concave-w.zip
(31.35 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

pekka wrote:BTW, the current swamp terrain looks also impassable for land units. At least for me..
Yes, the ultimate challenge of terrain art has not yet been completed... a good looking swamp!
Attempting Lucidity
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Perhaps if the swamp was created using the mountains method - photorealistic multihex marshlands.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

I've been busy lately, but I still managed to ruin some castle walls. Convex-w tiles done. Normal and sunken versions included.

~66% of the castle ruined. Counting the percentage done helps in odd way to think positively the exhausting workload on the ruin castle/keep..

Hee... I've done some sketches on orcish castle too.
Attachments
ruins-convex-w.zip
(57.64 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

As I told you about the orcish castle sketchings, here is a proposal for the orcish keep architecture. Castle walls would be made of the spikes and the tower sections would be shorter than in the human castle -> castle walls would be a bit encampment-like. They would fit more to the rogue-like lifestyle of the orcs than sturdy fortress walls IMHO.

I can't say my design would be too original... :/
Attachments
orc-castle-sketch.png
orc-castle-sketch.png (100.62 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
freim

Post by freim »

pekka wrote:As I told you about the orcish castle sketchings, here is a proposal for the orcish keep architecture. Castle walls would be made of the spikes and the tower sections would be shorter than in the human castle -> castle walls would be a bit encampment-like. They would fit more to the rogue-like lifestyle of the orcs than sturdy fortress walls IMHO.

I can't say my design would be too original... :/
Heh, clearly Warcraft-inspired, but I like it.

Btw, commited your latest batch of ruins.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I'd like to work on castles, but I don't feel like getting perspective and all that hassle I'd have to figure out done,

I can easily emulate Pekka's style otherwise though.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag