New castle grapchics (?)

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Now that all of us are giving critizm; just a small thing I'd like to mind;
It could just be me, however I have this weird feeling that the towers and.. the walls less; appear to be "floating" over the terrain adjected to them at the outside (grass and forest); This only really concerns the South and Southeast sides of the wall as far as I see; and I think it probably has something to do with the bottoms of the towers being a bit to light;

I could obviously be mistaken, but perhaps the foot of the towers could be tweaked a bit to see if it could look easier on the eye if it was a bit darker; or altered in another way.

I must say that even in their current state these castle tiles are much better than the already nice old versions; And I must compliment people on the critism given in this topic; as I can actually agree on alot of it.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Very, very nice. :)
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Dave, you forgot your usual quotation mark at the end of your message; the whole " -Dave" thing, don't abandon it; it's a character trait :(
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Loki wrote:The floor of the castle hexes could use a slight recoloring to make it fit with the new walls, as well.
Perhaps a variant of these new paved road tiles would work?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote:Welcome to the team!

It's impressive for a first contribution.
My only quibble would be: it seems odd IMHO for towers to narrow so rapidly all the way up. Often the base of a tower was more angled, but then came closer to vertical for most of the tower's height.
I agree with everything stated here. The angle is a bit much.

That said, this is looking very, very nice.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Pekka i don't know if your still around, but if you are please keep working with them, even with the critisms they are much better then the ones we have and if you could improve them then we may never want to replace them.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Hah.. perhaps it's one disadvantage of having so many gifted artists around, but.. it is easy to see the disparity between, say, the houses and the walls in style.

Oh, don't mistake me, I think the towers look great. It's just that it may be advisable to try and make art which.. blends in more with the other art. This is no criticism, and it can be seen in disparity between other art withing BfW as well. By all means, continue your work.. heck, what with all the artists making graphics, the Wesnoth style may get an upgrade/cq facelift (not that I am suggesting such.. far be it from me *point to his avatar*).
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Uhm, I would say pekka's castle gfx are way closer to the new villages in style than the current castle.
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

frame wrote:Uhm, I would say pekka's castle gfx are way closer to the new villages in style than the current castle.
Well, I'd say all three are different. At any rate, it was, as I said, a point towards Wesnoth art in general.
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Na'enthos wrote:
frame wrote:Uhm, I would say pekka's castle gfx are way closer to the new villages in style than the current castle.
Well, I'd say all three are different. At any rate, it was, as I said, a point towards Wesnoth art in general.
Ok, if you so easily see the difference and suggest a more uniform style, then it would be nice if you also point out what the differences are so the artists have something to work with.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

I love it, it seems to fit more into the rest of the map instead of standing out like a cartoony looking fort, once again great job!
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Yes, I'm still around. Thanks for the creative critisism and I agree about the angle of the towers. At the current state of my life I don't have too much free time for anything and therefore I'll draw gfx only for my own pleasure. However I thought to update the the keep graphics to same style soon.

I'll provide here the graphical elements wherefrom I've combined the castle, so someone could take the task of correcting the tower angle. I'm sorry but I lost the color correcting layers. (Happy this ain't a professional work :)
Attachments
castle_elements.png
castle_elements.png (171.21 KiB) Viewed 4903 times
Dark Helmet

Post by Dark Helmet »

I think it's a great update to the castle. It also fits in better with those slightly new village images. They look more 3d, or less cartoony, or something than the rest of the terrain. And as for not working well from a design point of view, they aren't that different from the current cave village images (which no one seems to mind). :)
Freedom is the ability to say one plus one equals two. When that occurs, all else follows.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Use this tower - this should eliminate all of the problems with tower shape, and a problem I just noticed with perspective.
Attachments
theDorkTower.png
theDorkTower.png (2.42 KiB) Viewed 4865 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

In fact, here's how it looks. Please note - I just did this in photoshop, I have not made these into actual terrain tiles. Hopefully, it should be fairly easy to do a "difference separation" on this and the source tile images, meaning I should be able to make it relatively easy for someone familiar with the terrain to split these out.
Attachments
castle_walls_only.png
castle_walls_only.png (259.52 KiB) Viewed 4859 times