kitty's elvish portraits

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

kitty wrote:what is a bokken (my dictionary doesn't know it)?
A wooden sword (japanese).
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

i've shaded him now.... any c&c?

and thank you zookeeper, jetryl and kestenvarn for the bokken explanations. nice sounding word!

@ wayfarer: the embroidery is exactly the kind of detail i love to do but is utterly worthless for dispay at this size... it's a pattern made of the elvish tree symbol. i should learn to spare my that work. :P
Attachments
highlord03.png
highlord03.png (90.93 KiB) Viewed 5263 times
JW

Post by JW »

I'm not sure how the shading on his left shoulder-piece works. Other than that it looks great.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Hey such small details make the art good art in the first place.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Looking great! Oh, and you gave him a more luxurious belt too :)

Only little nitpick I can think of is that horizontal crease on his right sleeve. Looks odd for some reason, but it's no biggie.
kitty

Post by kitty »

minor touch up on the highlord and a very early stage of the shyde.
i want to share a earlier step of my process than usuall to discuss the clothing before i put more work into her... :roll:
would something along this lines be fitting???

@ west: i changed that fold - better now?

@ wayfarer: you're right of course. still it's a little bit frustrating...

@ jw: i'm not sure what you mean. the right one for us or for him? and could you be more specific what the problem is? :hmm:
Attachments
highlord04.png
highlord04.png (53.66 KiB) Viewed 4990 times
shyde00.png
shyde00.png (108.62 KiB) Viewed 4993 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

kitty wrote:minor touch up on the highlord and a very early stage of the shyde.
i want to share a earlier step of my process than usuall to discuss the clothing before i put more work into her... :roll:
would something along this lines be fitting???
I'd actually suggest ... more clothes; the arms can stay bare (as much as they are now), and most of the legs should be bare, but her entire torso should be covered.

It's fine for her shoulders to be bare, but I think we should somehow come up with an alternate solution for the current shoulder straps, which look too modern, IMO.
kitty

Post by kitty »

yay for more cloth!

two quick variants for her dress:
Attachments
shydeB.png
shydeB.png (140.47 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Perhaps strapless dress?

Well I like the wings on the first variation better but the dress in the second one is better.

Well your first draft had some random sketch lines on the arm and the chest and somehow I like the feeling of it. They look like some kind of marking on the skin.
Natives use natural colors too adorn themselves. Just an idea though.

Otherwise a nice implementing.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

@kitty: please note that I'm no artist.

This is more like a wishlist, probably. In your first version (the coloured one), apart from the straps and the lack of clothes in the front, I think you were going along the lines of what I imagine looking at the unit's sprite:

http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/wesnoth/trun ... iew=markup

Which IMHO would be the right direction for the portrait. Of course, I'm not against taking a different path, but I hope you'll anyway keep the nature-integration-feeling of the sprite, with the vegetation on the body, etc.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Left version.

Or the top of the right shirt merged with the left one. The plants on the lower right bother me.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The ear is way too forward, it should be behind the jaw joint (honestly, I should start charging people for pointing this out, I would live off it comfortably).

As for clothes, my vote is for the right one, at least for the top, I'm not sure about the flower skirt.
Attachments
shydeb_405.png
shydeb_405.png (74.37 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
kitty

Post by kitty »

hmm - your comments are pretty contradictory.... :lol:

so here is my next take on her (i can't upload anything properly at the moment :cry:)

@ wayfarer: the wings should have been identical in the different versions - in the one you liked better, i seem to have erased a little part accidentally...
and i like the skin painting idea - but i don't think it fits the elves. perhaps in another project...

@ shadow master: no need to be humble! i appreciate your comments - but the great jetryl himself demanded more cloth...

@ groovy: meh - you're right of course, i should know that. changed the ear now. (but i think it is the first time you found that mistake in one of my portraits :P)

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Very nice, as always! :D

My one minor quibble is that she looks kind of young. I think it's the face - it seems to me somehow like the face of a young girl. That seems a bit odd to me. She is, after all, level 3, and I think she could stand to look a bit older.

If no one agrees with this complaint, though, I'll retract it, since I can't actually explain what it is that makes her seem young to me and it isn't much of a problem anyway...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

This one is a real winner, and I love the final version of the clothing. Yes, it does look youthful, but for me that's not really an issue.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."