New Terrain Variations

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Eleazar wrote:
grzywacz wrote:I get a weird feeling about this, it seems as if the village was standing on top of the S-W wall...
The village's shadow is too dark, and layers wrong.
These old "elven" villages need to be redone eventually.
Why? I think they look good and "elvish". To avoid the above problem, don't try to squeeze a village inbetween like that. Time for a new acronym: NEISTFE*

*Not everything is supposed to fit everywhere.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

freim wrote:
Eleazar wrote: The village's shadow is too dark, and layers wrong.
These old "elven" villages need to be redone eventually.
Why? I think they look good and "elvish". To avoid the above problem, don't try to squeeze a village inbetween like that. Time for a new acronym: NEISTFE*

*Not everything is supposed to fit everywhere.
The old elven villages need to be redone because they obviously don't match the much nicer new elven villages.

I fixed the shadow.

While it's not possible to make every terrain mesh with every other terrain, i don't think it's good if two terrains that reasonably would appear next to each other cause glitches— or worse, a glitch is caused with some of the random variations, but not others. Only the adobe and large elven-village variation look bad in the middle of castles, all of the others look fine. IMHO these two graphics need to be changed.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
freim

Post by freim »

Eleazar wrote: The old elven villages need to be redone because they obviously don't match the much nicer new elven villages.
Not sure what you're refering to here... afaik there are four elven villages, two of them are slightly newer (elven3.png and elven4.png) but I wouldn't say they are so much better than the old ones and that they don't match at all. Did you mean compared to the new elven castle :?:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

freim wrote:
Eleazar wrote: The old elven villages need to be redone because they obviously don't match the much nicer new elven villages.
Not sure what you're refering to here... afaik there are four elven villages, two of them are slightly newer (elven3.png and elven4.png) but I wouldn't say they are so much better than the old ones and that they don't match at all. Did you mean compared to the new elven castle :?:
As you say, it's not too bad, but there's a *little* disconnect.

The "slightly older" ones need some tweaking (adding of vegetation for one); and some significant shape alteration on the big, boxy one to make it look a little more graceful. I'll get to it, sooner or later. Part of the "discontinuity" is that my technique got significantly refined between my first attempts at making buildings, and my later attempts; as could be expected of anyone.