mini-Icons for attack types

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Basically what Kest said, but I think white would make a better neutral colour:
  • Green - Over 40% resistence
    Blue - 10-30% resistence
    White - Neutral 0%
    Yellow - 10-30% weakness
    Red - Over 40% weakness
It's hardly the colour spectrum, but I think it's a tad more intuitive.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Zhukov wrote:Basically what Kest said, but I think white would make a better neutral colour:
Yeah, definitely white (or grey) for 0% resistance.

What's the max and min resistances, and are resistances always alloted in 10% increments?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Zhukov wrote:Basically what Kest said, but I think white would make a better neutral colour:
  • Green - Over 40% resistence
    Blue - 10-30% resistence
    White - Neutral 0%
    Yellow - 10-30% weakness
    Red - Over 40% weakness
It's hardly the colour spectrum, but I think it's a tad more intuitive.
You should switch green and blue, the natural color spectrum goes red > orange > yellow > green > blue > purple.

White does make for a better neutral, though. With the addition of this, the table can be modified to include purple:

Red (Terrible)
Orange
Yellow
White (Neutral)
Green
Blue
Purple (Terrific)
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Eleazar wrote:What's the max and min resistances, and are resistances always alloted in 10% increments?
Without checking, I think the max resistence is 60%, drake fire res. (There's a one-off unit in UtBS that has 100% to all.)
The max weakness is 100%, undead holy. Don't quote me on that. And yeah, so far it's always in 10% steps.
Kest wrote:You should switch green and blue, the natural color spectrum goes red > orange > yellow > green > blue > purple.
Sure, but green is associated with 'good' or 'positive' in the same way red is used to indicate 'bad' or 'critical' etc.
(Case-in-point: the health bars.)
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

It may be, but other mainstream games are known to use the color spectrum as well. I'm suggesting this in terms of instant recognizability.

Out of the two suggested methods...
The stop light - red yellow green - I feel is too limited to convey the wide range of resistances.
The color spectrum... well, you should stick to the actual order of the spectrum to make it less confusing, and not attempt to mix it with the stop light.

Using the list of seven above, it might be ordered:
-60% or lower (Red)
-30% or lower (Orange)
Lower than 0% (Yellow)
0%
Higher than 0% (Green)
30% or higher (Blue)
60% or higher (Purple)
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Ok, you have a point. I'll leave it to the powers that be.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

I believe Darth's idea of a full gradient with two extremes, and a neutral middle point is the best idea. The brighter/more saturated the icon becomes, the more extreme the resistance or lack thereof. In any scenario, it's not possible to look at a colored icon and know exactly what the resistances are, but with this method it will be very easy to gauge the relative value of reistances.
Attachments
resistance.gif
resistance.gif (2.46 KiB) Viewed 5744 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Yeah, that works.
One basic change I suggest is to have less shades. AFAICT Your example has about 6-7 shades of each colour (plus the grey). Three shades of each would make things more recognisable as there would be a greater difference between each increment.

A mouseover tooltip that showed a list of resistence/weakness in number form would complement this nicely.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Zhukov wrote:Yeah, that works.
One basic change I suggest is to have less shades. AFAICT Your example has about 6-7 shades of each colour (plus the grey). Three shades of each would make things more recognisable as there would be a greater difference between each increment.

A mouseover tooltip that showed a list of resistence/weakness in number form would complement this nicely.
Yeah, i'm assuming this (like nearly everything else) will have a mouseover.

This kind of situation is different than the color of the HP bars. I'm not intending to have increments. (See previous post) I just didn't want to make a GIF with 200 frames. I don't see a benefit in coloring things so the player "knows for certain" that a unit's impact resistance is somewhere in a ~30% range.

These icons will be lined up together, so the player can compare their relative brightness, and easily pick out which resistance is strongest. If you limit it to 7 increments, 10% or 20% percent differences could be lost, or a 10% difference may sit on the breakover point and thus look much more significant than it is.

I do think that whatever the max resistance a mainline unit has (presumably less than 100%) should recieve the maximum green, to help make the positive resistances easier to distinguish.

Attached are a modified set of the icons, filled in to make the color more visible.
Attachments
resistances.zip
(2.67 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I've been watching this topic for the last day or so; I'm rather impartial about how these get used; I'm just happy to see them get used somewhere.

:) I do think this latest proposal with showing damage types is a very clever idea (especially with the gradient).