Land <-> Water transitions

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Land <-> Water transitions

Post by Eleazar »

We have some new transitions between castle and water that are great, and definitely the way i think we should go, but there are still some bugs to work out.

It looks like the transition goes too far South. (since it can touch the opposite bank)
Also if the grass was removed from the top, and the cliff was darkened, i think the trans would work better in more situations (like snow and tropical maps) and the trans could be used for dirt-to-water as well.

And as has been mentioned a similar transition would look great between cave <-> water, possibly derived from the cliff.
Attachments
castle-to-water.jpg
castle-to-water.jpg (66.85 KiB) Viewed 8576 times
Last edited by Eleazar on March 14th, 2006, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
freim

Re: Castle <-> water transitions

Post by freim »

Eleazar wrote:We have some new transitions between castle and water that are great, and definitely the way i think we should go, but there are still some bugs to work out.

It looks like the transition goes too far South. (since it can touch the opposite bank)
Also if the grass was removed from the top, and the cliff was darkened, i think the trans would work better in more situations (like snow and tropical maps) and the trans could be used for dirt-to-water as well.
I did make it smaller and I don't think it could be reduced much more before it will start to look contrived. This transition will just have to take some space imo, maps can be adjusted accordingly. I guess grassland could be changed to sand/dirt like something, but I think it's important to keep the contrast or it will just blend into castle and look strange. Of course if you manage to make it smaller and still good looking we could change it. I actually think we need to shift the encampment/castle up to pull it off.
Eleazar wrote: And as has been mentioned a similar transition would look great between cave <-> water, possibly derived from the cliff.
Don't you mean derived from the chasm? I would imagine that would look much better for cave terrain.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

[quote="frame"]...I actually think we need to shift the encampment/castle up to pull it off.[/quote]

It might be a quite difficult thing to do because of the method how the castle and keep are connected.

EDIT: quotes aren't working now, but you propably got the idea..
freim

Post by freim »

pekka wrote:
frame wrote:...I actually think we need to shift the encampment/castle up to pull it off.
It might be a quite difficult thing to do because of the method how the castle and keep are connected.

EDIT: quotes aren't working now, but you propably got the idea..
Actually it has been done in trunk. All castles/ruins have been shifted 9 pixels up and the cliff transition adjusted. Eleazar has a script (action in photoshop?) or something to process the files so you don't have to do it manually.

I'll let him fill in the details.

I think this is a good change regardless of the cliff issue as it's better to overlap whats behind a bit more and not so much on the front side as it was before.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Yep, i used an ImageReady action to move ~400 castle Wall and Keep images up 9 pixels.
I did not move the dwarven castle because of how it integrates into the cave wall.

It's not to hard to do another similar tweak if the new position isn't optimal.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

I think there is no need to start a new thread with this. I gave a little facelift to the snow to water tiles and added them some depth.
Attachments
snow-to-water.zip
(129.67 KiB) Downloaded 602 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Screenie:

I suggest not having so much of the "darkening" to the north of the snow, and perhaps a bit more to the south. Otherwise, this is a great change, and it's good even if you don't go to the trouble to tweak that.

Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Too sleepy to analyze jetryls suggestion, but i realize this is better.
Commited. If it can be made even better, great.
Attempting Lucidity
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

I updated snow-to-water trans. I didn't know before there shouldn't be anything outside the hex, but now it is fixed. Furthermore I send here an updated version of the snowhill-to-water transitions.

Attention WML wizards!
Some minor graphical glitches related to the new water transitions:

1. Maybe the ice transitions should be drawn over the hill-to-water transitions.
2. The new snowhill-to-water transition doesn't look good in every situation. Overlapping problem.
3. Snow tiles under buildings should have different transitions to water.
Attachments
errors.png
errors.png (168.31 KiB) Viewed 8154 times
snow-to-water-update.zip
(128.41 KiB) Downloaded 628 times
snow-hills-to-water.zip
(53.35 KiB) Downloaded 621 times
freim

Post by freim »

pekka wrote: 1. Maybe the ice transitions should be drawn over the hill-to-water transitions.
Then the ice trans would overlap the hills on the sides making it look even worse. I think the only way to make this look better is actually to divide the water transitions into two distinct trans (meaning two pngs). Where in this instance the hills and snow edge would be drawn on top and the submerged part would be drawn below. I think this will be needed for all water transitions because we will get a lot of small glitches like these. I can do the WML if you're willing to do the gfx.
pekka wrote: 2. The new snowhill-to-water transition doesn't look good in every situation. Overlapping problem.
Solution: make more transitions. 3-edged trans is needed to fix this.
pekka wrote: 3. Snow tiles under buildings should have different transitions to water.
WML bug, I'll look into it.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

frame wrote:
pekka wrote: 1. Maybe the ice transitions should be drawn over the hill-to-water transitions.
Then the ice trans would overlap the hills on the sides making it look even worse. I think the only way to make this look better is actually to divide the water transitions into two distinct trans (meaning two pngs). Where in this instance the hills and snow edge would be drawn on top and the submerged part would be drawn below. I think this will be needed for all water transitions because we will get a lot of small glitches like these. I can do the WML if you're willing to do the gfx.
I think it is now more important to update first all other water transitions to same level as the snowhills-to-water and snow-to-water transitions. Could you make a working example of your idea to divide the water transitions?
freim

Post by freim »

pekka wrote: I think it is now more important to update first all other water transitions to same level as the snowhills-to-water and snow-to-water transitions. Could you make a working example of your idea to divide the water transitions?
I thought it might be easier to make them into two tiles directly since I asume you have the underwater part as a seperate (adjustment) layer. I experimented with the WML for it today and it seemed to work out, but if you prefer it we can wait.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Oh now I got it! It's a great idea. Actually I think its great because I got the same idea last night, after I had understood wrong your suggestion. :)
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

Eleazar thought I should to post this here:

I'm currently working on new Ice<->Water transitions. I hope I didn't duplicate any previous work (though I didn't see anyone mention ice-water-transitions here or in the wiki).

Old/New-Image (see also this thread):
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

mog wrote:Eleazar thought I should to post this here:

I'm currently working on new Ice<->Water transitions. I hope I didn't duplicate any previous work (though I didn't see anyone mention ice-water-transitions here or in the wiki).

Old/New-Image (see also this thread):
That's great!