Complete Faction List

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

Complete Faction List

Post by JW »

You can find the complete list of all factions, finished and unfinished, here.

Please, if you are currently working on or have worked on any faction please take a look at the information listed to make sure that it is relevant and correct. Also, please inform me as to the status of:

:arrow: Playability of the faction: Is it ready for people to download and play?
:arrow: Status of unit art: Is the art for the basic units finished? (animations not required)
:arrow: Status of animation art: Are some, all, or no animations complete for this faction?
:arrow: Who should be accreditted, and for what: Who helped develop these factions, and how?
:arrow: Faction description: A short description of who/what is in your faction, and why they exist.
:arrow: Unit tree: A complete tree of all the units in the faction by name, level, and advancement.
:arrow: Unit stats:A complete description of each unit including all of the following:
id
name
race
image (example: "undead-deathknight.png")
hitpoints
movement_type
movement
experience
level
alignment
advanceto
cost
abilities
usage
unit_description
attacks
:!: Also, if you are using new movement_types or races please include those as well.
:!: Also please include the base .png images for each unit: these can be PMd or sent to me by email or, alternatively, can be simply linked to. Please do not post the images themselves here as that would take up space that is needed elsewhere.
:!: Later I may ask for any animations that you have as well - but that can wait for another time when animations are more completely done across the board.

Edit: Also please inform me of any campaigns currently related to your faction and which version of Wesnoth these campaigns are compatable with.
Edit: Also note that I do not require all of this information in one bundle. Feel free to post some of the information and then edit it later to add/update it. I would like to add as much as possible as quickly as possible. I do not, however, want to dig through the dozens of threads concerning these factions to take my best guess as to what the most current information is.

I intend to create a net of information that completely displays anything you could ever want to know of all factions easily and intuitively. To do so I will need all of you guys' help and all of the information I am asking for.

Thank you in advance!
JW

Post by JW »

Turin, Wayfarer, Disto, Belwar, Assassin, Warrior King, Neoriceisgood, ILikeProgramming, The Raven, Kafka, Thunderblade, Logan, Jester, szopen, Zhukov, Temuchin Khan, Foxwolf, kshinji, Anyar, Cuyo Quiz, dreampilot, Ranger M, and Nyoga:

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could send me the info for your factions.

If it makes things easier, you can easily add all .pngs and .cfgs into a .zip file and upload it here - you could even add a text document with your faction description. I can go through them all as long as I'm sure I have the most up-to-date and accurate info. I hate being inaccurate - it doubles the workload.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

here is the most up to date images for the Arendians, sorry I forgot to send them earlier.

there is also a list of stats which I made at the beginning, It is mostly accurite, but the bowrider line, the horsman line and the hunter line have been redone. So have most of the prices I think. However you can check them in the .cfg files that are here too.

BTW tell me when you download this, so then I can delete the attachment to save space.
JW

Post by JW »

Here is the page I am working on for Ranger M's Arendians. It's still in progress, but this is what you guys can look forward to once you send me your factions info.

Edit: Just got the pictures working. It's looking tight! ;)

I'm not asking much guys, help me out here. I'm doing this to benefit everybody.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Hello!

This is certainly a nice idea, however I would suggest to take a different more automated approach like used at http://units.wesnoth.org/. It would save a lot of work especially when the unit stats are upated in the future.

The one to bug about how this work is crimson_penguin at freenode. (hope he doesn't mind me pointing you to him :P )
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
JW

Post by JW »

Soliton wrote:Hello!

This is certainly a nice idea, however I would suggest to take a different more automated approach like used at http://units.wesnoth.org/. It would save a lot of work especially when the unit stats are upated in the future.

The one to bug about how this work is crimson_penguin at freenode. (hope he doesn't mind me pointing you to him :P )
Sounds like it has potential. I actually thought of it when I began this project, though I didn't like the way that page was set up entirely. If I could edit one of those myself that would be great!

I will see if I can get in touch with this guy. Thanks.

ps - I will still need info from the aforementioned people.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good morning!

About the Wild Elves.

The Wild elves are up on the campaign server, so images and stats are available easily. That being said, here's the information that's a little harder to find:

Playability of the faction:playable

Status of unit art:basically finished. The stormlord's pic still missed though. I should add it soon (but I'll be surprised if he appears too often).

Status of animation art:none

Who should be accreditted, and for what:off the top of my head:
concept, artwork, stats and balancing:Thunderblade
base artwork:Neoriceisgood
coding:Casual user :P
balancing:a whole lot of people...

Faction description:Thunderblade could probably answer a lot better than I can. Basically, the wild elves are northern elves who split from the other elves when these decided to declare peace with Haldric. Basically, they are very warlike elves. As I said once before, think of them as vikings that live in the forest.

Unit tree:(all start at lvl 1)

Code: Select all

warrior -> bladespinner -> wardancer
        -> herald          -> warsinger
        -> veiledlade     -> shadowdancer

wanderer -> tracker -> windrunner

warrior spirit -> ancestor -> forefather

fury -> wildblade -> whirlwind

raindancer -> windlasher -> tempest -> stormlord
           -> warmage   -> thunderblade
Stats and images are, as I said, easily available on the campaign server.

Good luck with your project (you're going to need it).
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Not a good place to post I almost never read this forum
But here is almost everything of the Aragwaith cfg's and graphics.
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 03&start=0
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Disto

Post by Disto »

Casual User wrote:Good morning!

About the Wild Elves.

The Wild elves are up on the campaign server, so images and stats are available easily. That being said, here's the information that's a little harder to find:

Playability of the faction:playable

Status of unit art:basically finished. The stormlord's pic still missed though. I should add it soon (but I'll be surprised if he appears too often).

Status of animation art:none

Who should be accreditted, and for what:off the top of my head:
concept, artwork, stats and balancing:Thunderblade
base artwork:Neoriceisgood
coding:Casual user :P
balancing:a whole lot of people...

Faction description:Thunderblade could probably answer a lot better than I can. Basically, the wild elves are northern elves who split from the other elves when these decided to declare peace with Haldric. Basically, they are very warlike elves. As I said once before, think of them as vikings that live in the forest.

Unit tree:(all start at lvl 1)

Code: Select all

warrior -> bladespinner -> wardancer
        -> herald          -> warsinger
        -> veiledlade     -> shadowdancer

wanderer -> tracker -> windrunner

warrior spirit -> ancestor -> forefather

fury -> wildblade -> whirlwind

raindancer -> windlasher -> tempest -> stormlord
           -> warmage   -> thunderblade
Stats and images are, as I said, easily available on the campaign server.

Good luck with your project (you're going to need it).
I've added this to here
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Alks

Post by Alks »

In Graphic Library THERE IS Stormlord png - look at Neoriceisgood
JW

Post by JW »

Casual User: Thanks! I'll get that info up soon.

Wayfarer: I created this thread so I wouldn't have to go through threads searching for all the information I needed. That could easily lead to an error on my part.

-That being said though, I will get all the information off of the campaign server that is available. So, the only info I'll need to create a complete page for published factions will be the credits, campaign info, and the faction description. (Unless some info is missing from the campaign server.)

Disto: If you want to discuss the fact that we are working on similar projects, please send me a pm. I don't think linking my thread to your page is very appropriate.

Edit: Here is a relatively finished Arendians page. All I need to do are:
:arrow: edit some of the table sizing errors
:arrow: add boldtype and/or italics to emphasize important information
:arrow: make the lists more eye-appealing
:arrow: possibly change the editting interface

The first 3 of these changes will be superficial, but they will give the page a polished, elegant look that will be used for each factions page.
Disto

Post by Disto »

JW, these are extremely different, mine is a short what they are and where to get them, yours is like the unit list, full of detail.

All the stuff you need for the Marauders is in the Imperial Era.

I've linked the title of the Arendians to your Unit list if thats alright.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
JW

Post by JW »

Disto wrote:JW, these are extremely different, mine is a short what they are and where to get them, yours is like the unit list, full of detail.

All the stuff you need for the Marauders is in the Imperial Era.

I've linked the title of the Arendians to your Unit list if thats alright.
I don't see how that makes them extremely different....I plan on including links to download the factions and related campaigns later - if that's what you think the difference is. That's not even the case as you have no links to their download sites. My main page is simple with only simple info and when you click on the factions only then do you get a more detailed description.

...which is exactly how your thread is currently being set up

Look, if you want to piggyback all my work I can't stop you, but it's my current impression that you aren't really working on your page and are simply using my work to make it look like you're doing something. I apologize if I am wrong, but all of these modifications to your page came after I created my page - a page that I created without prior knowledge of your page.

Also, I looked back in the history of the page. The only factions you had listed were the Marauders and the Arendians....

I made my page in response to this request:
Eleazar wrote:JW, if you could put that linked list somewhere appropriate on the wiki, it would be a good thing.
in this thread. I wan't intending to step on your toes by making a similar project, and when I found out we were working on similar projects I thought you might want to help me with my page since I'm actually getting things done. The fact of the matter is that project wasn't really going anywhere... but it seems like you don't want to cooperate.

If this is so, then I ask that you work on your page yourself instead of linking your page to my work. As it is you are copying my setup, using my page, and telling me that the two projects are "extremely different". I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it.
JW

Post by JW »

I was wondering, do you think the Complete Faction List should be under "What have others done?" -which it is currently- or "The world of Wesnoth" -which is where Disto's "Custom Race Descriptions" page was? I put it under "What have others done?" because it seemed more appropriate (as most of the listed factions are not official), but it also makes some sense to put completed projects under "The world of Wesnoth" as they are actually part of the world of Wesnoth.

Perhaps there could be 2 pages:
1) The Complete Faction List in "What have others done?"
2) Official Faction List in "The world of Wesnoth"

The Official Faction List would be very simple to create as it would simply list the official factions of Wesnoth linking them to the already existing pages for the Complete List. Basically right now it would only have the 6 main factions, but I see the Imperial era maturing greatly, and I think it would have some potential to make it onto the page later as well.

The reason I propose this is because I like to research, in general. Researching Wesnoth units is a bit of a pain currently as you have to be in game to do so. The current unit list isn't broken down into factions, although it is a great tool in its own right.

I think that under "TwoW" there should be a link to the 6 official factions for just such an occassion where someone wishes to examine the units in their spare time without going in-game. I'm don't know if the redundancy is necessary though, as they would already be listed under "Whod?", though in a possibly unintuitive place (for the official factions that is).

Anyway, sorry for such a long post for such a simple question.

Also, as the "Custom Race Descriptions" page now has nothing on it, I was wondering if I could get the okay to delete the link to it from the main "Create" page. I wouldn't want to alter something I didn't create without permission.
JW

Post by JW »

The Complete Faction List is now ready for user edits. I have the form set up the way I would like it to look, so feel free to add your factions information in the appropriate pages!!

I will slowly be adding data to as many pages as I can, but it is, unfortunately, some work. I've even put off work on my faction to complete other Wesnothian tasks (not to mention real life tasks - yuck!). Be assured that this page is where you want to go to find all the information on all factions that you could ever possibly want.

Once all the factions unit data is entered I will be adding links to faction related campaigns as well as adding other information in various places as well. There is a good start here though, so let's keep the page nice and up-to-date!

Thanks to all who have made contricutions to the page already. I have noticed. :wink:

-edit-

The Arendian page is currently the only finished page. If you have any comments/critiques about the layout, please post them here! I am quite proud of the page, though I am always looking to improve upon success.
Last edited by JW on February 19th, 2006, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.