Suggestions for Link Banner/Wiki layout

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Suggestions for Link Banner/Wiki layout

Post by irrevenant »

I notice the banner shortcuts and wiki have gotten a reorg (presumably for the impending release of Wesnoth 1.0). It looks good, and I have a couple of ideas for further improvement (IMO):

* Rename the "Play" link to "Manual". What is available under that link is, in essence, a manual for the game. Conversely, the word 'Play' is ambiguous. If I were unfamiliar with Wesnoth, I might think the link led to a web-based game (like Adventure Quest) or trial demo, or perhaps to the multiplayer server.

* Rename the 'Create' link to 'Extend'. This one is pretty much just personal preference. IMO, Wesnoth is already created quite nicely. What this section tells you how to do is extend Wesnoth, and extend the fun you have with it.

* Add a link called "Community". This would serve as home to things like the Acronym lists, the player location map, maybe some ettiquette notes, a link to the forum etc. (I realise there's a link to a Community page under 'Support', but IMO it's important enough to get its own link too).

* I'm not sure what purpose the "Project" link serves. Everything on that page looks like it fits under 'Extend'.

* Add the "Home" link back in. I realise that you can go home by clicking on the logo, but many people won't.

* Rename "About" to "Credits". The entire wiki is "about" Wesnoth.
scott

Post by scott »

Hmm... it probably means Project needs more meat. There is a plan to put more stuff there, since the Create section links there for art and music. I think the graphics libraries should be going there eventually.

I might agree that the community links are too hidden and your additions are good, but I'm not sure it's worth getting rid of the forum link for it, just because the forum link is very important. It's unclear that this is what you meant, but it's implied.

Then again, the downloads link is hidden inside Play. In that case, I disagree with renaming Play > Manual because people need to know where the downloads link is. Getting the game is much more important than the manual. They'll say, "Downloads in the manual section? WTH?" Rather they should be able to get the game and say, "Oh good, I have the game and here's the manual too."

The rest of the renaming I'm non-comittal about. Create vs Extend, etc. It's preference, like you said.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

We can have more than 6 links in the title bar. IMHO we should have at least 8: Home, Play, Create, Project, Support, Community, Forums, About.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

Also a "Download" link might be good. Therewill be many first time visitors after the 1.0 release is announced everywhere, and least I found it difficult to locate any download on http://wesnoth.org. I simply scanned the page for the text "download", and there was nothing :P
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I place my support for the Forums link to be merged with the Community link idea.

Then, one enters, sees the rules, acronyms, etc. and also gets a link to the forums to register. It would be a good place to put the forum dialect and mythos on.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Actually, that might be a good idea... personally, I think it is bad to have people come here, not understand what is going on, and so get frustrated and leave when a simple guide they have to read before registering would have prevented that.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

That does make good sense.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

Good idea. I wonder who's working on the home page.
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

When suggesting changes to the navigation bar, please, don't simply ask for a new link... think about the whole thing. Sure it would be good to have links to Bugs, FAQ, etc. but we can't have all the links there.

I agree with some of your suggestions, but I'm also sure we can't make everyone happy.

Some thoughts:

* I wouldn't mind to add a link to Home, but I would't like to have more than 7 links.
* Community vs Forums. I'm against having both links. And if I had to decide one for the navigation, I would certainly choose Community (we can have a link to Forums on the homepage).
* We can probably "merge" Project and About somehow.
allefant wrote:Also a "Download" link might be good. Therewill be many first time visitors after the 1.0 release is announced everywhere, and least I found it difficult to locate any download on http://wesnoth.org. I simply scanned the page for the text "download", and there was nothing :P
Check again.