Switch from phpbb to fudforum?

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

knacker

Switch from phpbb to fudforum?

Post by knacker »

I know phpbb is everyone's default favorite forum but I seem to remember you got hacked (along with alot of other people) around Christmas and personally think phpbb is a train crash waiting to happen. Think it would be a shame given you guys really know what you're doing as C++ developers to be let down by it.

From a coders perspective, the "best" php forum out there is fudforum. It's actively maintained and the lead developer keeps his blog online here.

Perhaps an indication that he knows what he's doing is given by this post. He's also author of the just-released Guide to PHP Security. Here's an (obviously biased but rare) comment from him on phpbb: http://ilia.ws/archives/55-Webhosts-hav ... ough!.html

fudforum comes with a converter for phpbb and there's a help forum for the converters here - it should handle everything, including avatars and so on (although best test it first).

It should also be alot faster than phpbb, has better admin tools and comes with an "api", should you need it, to access the forum data (e.g. integrate logins with the forum user accounts). It's also capable of integrating with a mailing list, although you'd probably need to own the server in that case. Other features are described here.

The only downside vs. phpbb is fudforum doesn't look as pretty. It may also seem strange that the installer is a single file - the script itself contains a string encoded tar file which is extracts the php scripts from.

Anyway - enough hard sell.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

This is something which I would be interested in -- I'm not impressed by phpBB's security, and would be interested in switching to another forum if it's easy to do. Does fudforum have an 'import' script to import a phpBB databasea into its format?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Corwin

Post by Corwin »

I think that this is probably a good idea as well. Anything that can be done to prevent any future hacking of the forum would be good. This is especially important considering all of the images that are shared through the forums.
Corwin
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

Dave wrote:This is something which I would be interested in -- I'm not impressed by phpBB's security, and would be interested in switching to another forum if it's easy to do. Does fudforum have an 'import' script to import a phpBB databasea into its format?

David
Yes, it looks like they do have an import script.
http://fudforum.org/download.php
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Another question is, does fudforum support attachments, and if so, is it possible to convert attachments in phpbb's attachment mod over?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

Will switching mean deleting all accounts and resetting post counts?
Corwin

Post by Corwin »

I recently switched to FUDForum and it does support attachments. I'm not sure if you can import the attachments from phpBB, but all of my smilies and avatars imported just fine. The messages also imported just fine and it seemed to just work. The main problem would be the need to modify the default theme to show the bar at the top. I don't think that the theme editor is very user friendly. I suggest playing around with FUDForum somewhere before doing the full import to see if it is really going to work out.
Corwin
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

Dave wrote:Another question is, does fudforum support attachments, and if so, is it possible to convert attachments in phpbb's attachment mod over?

David
Yes to both your questions.
I don't like their emoticons, though.
Corwin

Post by Corwin »

Zebulon wrote:I don't like their emoticons, though.
I don't either. When I converted my forum, the phpBB emoticons became the available emoticons and the FUDForum emoticons disappeared. :)
Corwin
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

1 attachment per message not good.
Corwin

Post by Corwin »

ILikeProgramming wrote:1 attachment per message not good.
The forum administrator can set the number of attachments, the size of each and the max size for the message. 1 is just the number chosen for the forum that Zebulon was looking at.
Corwin
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Good, if you can import phpbb smileys :)
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Tux2B wrote:Good, if you can import phpbb smileys :)
I think the FudForum ones look a lot better, at least nothing can be uglier than the phpBB lol smiley... it's propably the ugliest smiley ever created.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Orange is an ugly color, IMO... other than that, and the "evil" smilie, they look good (though not better than the PHP ones)...
Annka wrote:at least nothing can be uglier than the phpBB lol smiley
Agreed.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

The lol smiley is just disturbing...
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004