Login Status gets lost when following some links

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zap-Zarap

Login Status gets lost when following some links

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Following some links to other threads or using the search, drops somehow the being logged in sometimes.
I like beavers.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Login Status gets lost when following some links

Post by Pentarctagon »

Do you have any examples? Or any way to at least somewhat reliably reproduce it?

Also, are you using a proxy or VPN or similar? You will lose your login if you change the VPN server you're connecting to, for example.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

E.g. the Forum Games "Puzzle Challenges!" thread has a list of links to the various puzzles, that appear later on in the thread, in the first post. When i click those links, i'm not logged in on the page, where the link sends me... but if i click the small "last page" number, i am still logged in.

When i use the search function, and click on any result there, i am logged out there (on the target page) also.

No VPN is involved in my case.
Last edited by Zap-Zarap on August 26th, 2017, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like beavers.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Hm... both those work fine for me. What's your browser and OS?
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Win7 and Firefox Version 54.0.x. I've been checking the issue a bit more right now. It's whenever i follow a link from inside a post, then the php session-id gets lost. The boardindex and subcategory links work fine. Session-Id is kept there, but not on inlined links.
I like beavers.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Try clearing your cookies/cache first.

Also, do you have any add-ons installed? And, maybe something I should have clarified first: when you say you lose your login, does that mean you can't post, view profiles, etc?
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Pentarctagon wrote:...does that mean you can't post, view profiles, etc?
Exactly.
Top panel link thing doesn't say Logout[Zap-Zarap], as it is saying right now, it says Login instaed.
Browser location bar doesn't say the ....&sid=872abd73...
I like beavers.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I don't know if this might be useful, but I can tell you that, some years ago, I had a similar problem.
Back then, I used to connect through a mobile 3G connection (this is important), and after a few minutes of inactivity I was automatically logged out of the forums, to the point that I was forced to write my messages in a text editor, log in and quickly copy/paste the post.
This happened because the connection was behind a NAT - that is, a single external IP address is shared between several users, and it can change at any given moment. Nowadays, all mobile connections (and even some wired connections) are behind a NAT; in my case, the problem ceased when I switched provider.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Thanks for caring.
Anyway, this is a minor problem, and i can easily live with it. :)
I like beavers.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Yeah, I'm not sure what would be the issue here, given that I'm on Firefox 55.0.2 and behind a VPN, and everything works fine as long as I don't switch servers. Unless more people post saying they have the same problem, it's probably something fairly unique to either your setup or how you're connecting.

edit - the sid vanishing from the url is also not related to this; it's been possible to clear that from the url by clicking on the "Forums" link in the header for a long time now.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

It sounds like cookies are blocked or disabled in your browser for some reason - maybe your settings or an add-on?
  1. You might want to check your Firefox settings under "Privacy" and make sure cookies are not being blocked
  2. If you have any add-ons installed, you might want look in the help menu for "Restart with Add-ons Disabled..." and see if running without add-ons makes any difference
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

gnombat wrote:It sounds like cookies are blocked or disabled in your browser for some reason
I understand now.
I like beavers.