Wesnoth's Unit Database

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

allefant
Units Database Administrator

Re: Wesnoth's Unit Database

Post by allefant »

Hm, I'll have to double check the code again - maybe the cyclic dependency is causing problems somehow.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Okay i can temporarily remove it to see if it fixes the problem.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Just an idea: Can't one run the import script locally to cut out the experimenting on the live system?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

pauxlo wrote:Just an idea: Can't one run the import script locally to cut out the experimenting on the live system?
It is possible - I've gotten it running locally on my linux PC. I don't know how to get it running on Mac or Windows though. The script is wmlunits in data/tools/, if anyone's interested.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
lea

Post by lea »

Pentarctagon wrote:Yeah, I couldn't tell you why it's putting all the units under the portraits add-on, but the errors it reports are all about missing units, so adding the [binary_path] should fix that. Also, the add-on size limit was increased to 100 MBs for 1.13, so going forward you would be able to combine them back into a single add-on.
What add-on size limit is (was?) for older versions? 1.12 for example
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

lea wrote:
Pentarctagon wrote:Yeah, I couldn't tell you why it's putting all the units under the portraits add-on, but the errors it reports are all about missing units, so adding the [binary_path] should fix that. Also, the add-on size limit was increased to 100 MBs for 1.13, so going forward you would be able to combine them back into a single add-on.
What add-on size limit is (was?) for older versions? 1.12 for example
For older versions, there was no size limit.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
lea

Post by lea »

Pentarctagon wrote: Also, the add-on size limit was increased to 100 MBs for 1.13
Pentarctagon wrote:For older versions, there was no size limit.
if there was no limit then how could this (apparently non-existent) limit be increased?
did I miss something? :?
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

A 1.13.x version (I think it was 1.13.5 but I'm not sure) shipped with a rewrite of the network code that resulted in the add-ons server gaining a maximum pack size. The issue was discovered after the release and patched one or two releases later.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Just a heads-up for people who might be keeping an eye on units.wesnoth.org: the rebuild task might not run this week due to some major pending changes coming from my direction rather than Elias’, for a change. My apologies for any inconveniences this may cause. I’ll make sure to keep you notified of any new developments from that front and figure out the best schedule to run the rebuild as soon as it is all done.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

units.wesnoth.org has been rebuilt and it now has a fix for an issue where [portrait] tags (which are gone in 1.13.x and were never intended to be used by the general public in the first place) were used to read unit portraits instead of the profile= attribute.

Oh and it also uses the new site design now.

There is an issue where the sidebar menus do not work until the page has fully loaded, which tends to take a lot of time on my end due to the absurd number of images on the unit tree pages. Assuming I don’t get too busy with other stuff, I will rectify this before the next rebuild.
lea

Post by lea »

shadowm wrote:units.wesnoth.org has been rebuilt and it now has a fix for an issue where [portrait] tags (which are gone in 1.13.x and were never intended to be used by the general public in the first place) were used to read unit portraits instead of the profile= attribute.

Oh and it also uses the new site design now.
this script you are using to build unit database pages - is it available for download?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It’s wmlunits, which is part of the Wesnoth source code distribution (data/tools/wmlunits — note that it has several dependencies on the rest of the included scripts). I don’t think I’m the best person to explain how it works, though. There’s a --help switch, and this is what I use to run it:

Code: Select all

./wmlunits --output wmlunits-test --wesnoth `which wesnoth` -C ~/.wesnoth-1.13 -D ~/src/wesnoth -t ~/src/wesnoth/translations --addons ~/.wesnoth-1.13/data/add-ons -L wmlunits.list -B wmlunits.list --timeout 60 --language en_US --reparse
lea

Post by lea »

shadowm, thanks!

does it also generate css theme?
I want to create unit database with older style, one that was replaced with current style some days ago
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

lea wrote:does it also generate css theme?
Before this commit it used a bundled minimal version of Glamdrol (provided as data/tools/unit_tree/style.css) that contained additional units.w.o-specific styles. Now it uses the shared site stylesheet and a smaller units.w.o-specific supplement stylesheet, all built from the Wesmere source code but not part of the main repository. So it hasn’t really ever “generated” any CSS other than a few inline style attributes.

I strongly advise against using older versions of wmlunits on untrusted data, though (see this commit).
lea

Post by lea »

shadowm, thanks again for details
shadowm wrote:I strongly advise against using older versions of wmlunits on untrusted data, though (see this commit).
I am going to use it only on my own era which contains only my own WML code (no copy-pasting involved) and a few includes from mainline wesnoth so I guess I am safe. thanks for warning though