Wesnoth's Unit Database

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The_Gnat

Re: Wesnoth's Unit Database

Post by The_Gnat »

Yes i know about those errors and have fixed all of them in 1.12 prior to the last unit database update, with only the Reign of the Lords add-on (and its associates) installed the error log for 1.12 has only these errors:

Code: Select all

20170624 16:17:34 warning gui/event: distributor mouse button left [title_screen]: . Mouse down on non focussed widget and mouse not captured, we missed events.
20170624 16:17:45 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'no_recruit' discarded.
But they seem to not have anything to do with my add-on. :hmm: so i assumed that it would load fine in the database.

What exactly does the word "eras" mean? (It would be great to get this solved)

(i appreciate the help!)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The_Gnat wrote:Yes i know about those errors and have fixed all of them in 1.12 prior to the last unit database update, with only the Reign of the Lords add-on (and its associates) installed the error log for 1.12 has only these errors:

20170624 16:17:34 warning gui/event: distributor mouse button left [title_screen]: . Mouse down on non focussed widget and mouse not captured, we missed events.
But they seem to not have anything to do with my add-on. :hmm: so i assumed that it would load fine in the database.

What exactly does the word "eras" mean? (It would be great to get this solved)

(i appreciate the help!)
'eras' is, as I understand it, just a sort of generic "something went wrong" error message. If you could also update the 1.13 version to fix the errors I posted, I might be able to help more.

-edit-
Though, you currently have a circular dependency: Reign of the Lords is dependent on Reign of the Lords Portraits, and Reign of the Lords Portraits depends on Reign of the Lords.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Okay thank you, i will update 1.13
Though, you currently have a circular dependency: Reign of the Lords is dependent on Reign of the Lords Portraits, and Reign of the Lords Portraits depends on Reign of the Lords.
Hmm... basically what i am trying to say is that both add-ons should be installed, but if it is causing a problem i will change the main add-on because it is not technically dependent.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Pentarctagon wrote:Though, you currently have a circular dependency: Reign of the Lords is dependent on Reign of the Lords Portraits, and Reign of the Lords Portraits depends on Reign of the Lords.
Hi, author of the 1.12 add-ons management code speaking here.

This is not supposed to be a problem, and in fact, the add-ons manager is able to detect this particular case and break the circular dependency. Both IftU and AtS make use of this particular behavior so that the add-ons manager will ask players to install their respective music packs together with the campaigns and viceversa.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

shadowm wrote:
Pentarctagon wrote:Though, you currently have a circular dependency: Reign of the Lords is dependent on Reign of the Lords Portraits, and Reign of the Lords Portraits depends on Reign of the Lords.
Hi, author of the 1.12 add-ons management code speaking here.

This is not supposed to be a problem, and in fact, the add-ons manager is able to detect this particular case and break the circular dependency. Both IftU and AtS make use of this particular behavior so that the add-ons manager will ask players to install their respective music packs together with the campaigns and viceversa.
Yes, this isn't a problem with the add-on manager - that handles this correctly. It's a problem with the wmlunits script. So on 1.12 for example, both AtS/AtS Music and IftU/IftU Music give the same 'eras' error as Reign of the Lords and Reign of the Lords Portraits are currently getting.

This error seems to be somewhat common, in fact, if we assume all the "internal error" reports are being caused by this.
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

The problem was not the circular dependency, wmlunits handles that just fine. But I believe I just committed a fix for it anyway - a new generation is running and should be done in a few hours. I did not investigate the exact cause so will remain to be seen if my fix worked :)
Trayanee

Post by Trayanee »

Hello, I have been looking through older iterations of units database and I wonder why for 1.8 there isn't an option to view units from custom eras while on 1.6 and 1.10 there is. Is it on purpose due to some technical constraint? Thanks a lot in advance.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

If I had to guess, it'd probably just be because add-ons didn't get processed for some reason when the 1.8 units database was last updated.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Unfortunately even after my most recent bug fixes and all the changes that have been made the unit database still did not load the Reign of the Lords units when it updated on the 30th.

I can try to remove the circular dependency if perhaps that could cause the problem... but i was receiving this error before i created the dependency of the portraits add-on so i doubt that is the problem. :doh:

Would any of the website managers mind if i created a second add-on? I then could add in units and factions from the RoTL a few at a time thereby narrowing down the source of the problem to some specific units.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The_Gnat wrote:Unfortunately even after my most recent bug fixes and all the changes that have been made the unit database still did not load the Reign of the Lords units when it updated on the 30th.

I can try to remove the circular dependency if perhaps that could cause the problem... but i was receiving this error before i created the dependency of the portraits add-on so i doubt that is the problem. :doh:

Would any of the website managers mind if i created a second add-on? I then could add in units and factions from the RoTL a few at a time thereby narrowing down the source of the problem to some specific units.
1.12 did sort of do it. Though now its under the Portraits add-on, and has a whole bunch of errors and warnings. Just looking through it real quick, my best guess would be that you need to add Reign of the Lords as a second [binary_path] to Reign of the Lords Portraits.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

What? :shock: That makes no sense at all. The sum total of all the code in the Reign of the Lords portrait add-on is this:

#textdomain wesnoth-ROTL

[textdomain]
    name="wesnoth-ROTL"
    path="data/add-ons/5_Lords_Active_Advance/translations"
[/textdomain]

[binary_path]
          path=data/add-ons/Reign_of_the_Lords_Portraits/
    [/binary_path]
I do not see any possible way for this to be loading units.... :roll: Also if you look at the units that have loaded they are all mainline units except the Armoured Highwayman and Great Ogre. In all fairness these two units should not be able to load since they have unique sprites (not found in the RoTL portrait add-on) and are created from code found only in the Reign of the Lord add-on (not at all loaded from the portrait add-on).

Oh well i will take what ever i can get (for as long as it lasts) and update the portraits add-on to try load more units. However, i don't see any way for this to work unless i create a [+unit] tag in the portraits add-on.

Thank you for noticing this! It is interesting that the actual Reign of the Lords add-on is now not loading at all.

This seems very much like a mystery. Whenever any facts that seem to make sense are discovered a completely absurd thing happens and blows them all out of the water. :lol: Perhaps their is some extra code in your website that is set to randomly mess up stuff every sixth time the database is updated... ^_^
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Yeah, I couldn't tell you why it's putting all the units under the portraits add-on, but the errors it reports are all about missing units, so adding the [binary_path] should fix that. Also, the add-on size limit was increased to 100 MBs for 1.13, so going forward you would be able to combine them back into a single add-on.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Pentarctagon wrote:Yeah, I couldn't tell you why it's putting all the units under the portraits add-on, but the errors it reports are all about missing units, so adding the [binary_path] should fix that.
That is good i will do that!
Pentarctagon wrote:Also, the add-on size limit was increased to 100 MBs for 1.13, so going forward you would be able to combine them back into a single add-on.
I actually will probably not revert it, it seems to be causing oddities in the unit database but that is nothing new the unit database has never worked for me :P and i would rather players not have to update 50 MB to be able to play the newest version of my add-on. The portraits are not a big priority (as they are only particularly useful in campaigns) and i believe players would rather not re-download them each time i update the code. Nevertheless i think it is good that the size limit has been increased.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The_Gnat wrote:
Pentarctagon wrote:Yeah, I couldn't tell you why it's putting all the units under the portraits add-on, but the errors it reports are all about missing units, so adding the [binary_path] should fix that.
That is good i will do that!
Pentarctagon wrote:Also, the add-on size limit was increased to 100 MBs for 1.13, so going forward you would be able to combine them back into a single add-on.
I actually will probably not revert it, it seems to be causing oddities in the unit database but that is nothing new the unit database has never worked for me :P and i would rather players not have to update 50 MB to be able to play the newest version of my add-on. The portraits are not a big priority (as they are only particularly useful in campaigns) and i believe players would rather not re-download them each time i update the code. Nevertheless i think it is good that the size limit has been increased.
Also, another potential solution also might be to remove the existing [binary_path] from the Portraits add-on. shadowm's After the Storm and AtS Music now are working on the 1.12 units database, for example, and AtS Music has no [binary_path] defined for itself.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Good idea i will do that and instead have the [binary_path] for the portraits loaded from the Reign of the Lords add-on.