Wesnoth Database Hacked

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

warning1234

Wesnoth Database Hacked

Post by warning1234 »

Hi... I subscribe to the haveibeenpawned service. It notifies you when your information gets published online due to breaches. It appears the wesnoth database has been stolen and published online. It includes account names, email addresses and passwords. I took a quick peek at the forums, but didn't see if anyone had posted that here yet, so I thought I'd make sure everyone was aware.

Hopefully everyone practices good password management and doesn't reuse passwords.

Published data
LINK REMOVED
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Wesnoth Database Hacked

Post by Iris »

warning1234 wrote:Hi... I subscribe to the haveibeenpawned service. It notifies you when your information gets published online due to breaches. It appears the wesnoth database has been stolen and published online. It includes account names, email addresses and passwords. I took a quick peek at the forums, but didn't see if anyone had posted that here yet, so I thought I'd make sure everyone was aware.

Hopefully everyone practices good password management and doesn't reuse passwords.
Thanks for your concern and the warning. I took a quick look and the dump in question appears to be from the unofficial ladder forums’ database, not ours.

I will contact their admins to make sure they and their users are aware of this situation.

(Also, for future reference and not just for this site, it’s best to try sending a private message to the site admins first rather than post links publicly and expose the leaked information further.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.