clarification regarding topic resurrection/bumping

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

max_torch
Inactive Developer

clarification regarding topic resurrection/bumping

Post by max_torch »

Can it be clarified better as to what you can resurrect and cannot? I read the guidelines and this is all i saw:
Bumping support requests in support sections (e.g. Technical Support, WML Workshop) is fine, as is posting announcements in your own content development topics. Nonsense posts may be deleted without warning, especially in a working topic.
okay so that is clear. So what other topics are you allowed to resurrect in and not? And how long a margin of inactivity before bumping a thread counts already as resurrection? for example if for 6 months no one posted in the "you have played wesnoth for too long" section in the forum games, are you still allowed to post in it? Or say you had a new strategy of using undead and you wanted to discuss it, or even if you just have a question because the strategies given are not enough, are you allowed to post in the legacy thread of the "How to Play undead" if the last post was one year ago? Is it still considered resurrection if the post was not nonsense even if the topic is 5 years old? it is only resurrection if you are bumping a thread but not actually contributing to it? Another reason i am curious about this is because it seems only the wesgold members will be allowed to resurrect.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: clarification regarding topic resurrection/bumping

Post by Iris »

max_torch wrote:Another reason i am curious about this is because it seems only the wesgold members will be allowed to resurrect.
shadowm wrote:Posted on April 1 2014
:roll:

(I’m going to leave the actual answering for one of the green suits to do because I’m busy right now. Also, moved to Website.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

max_torch:

Actually, only wesgold members are allowed to ask for clarifications of the posting guidelines :?

In seriousness, I hope a moderator will properly clarify, but at least some of the reason is this. Resurrecting a dead thread is generally bad in part because you are basically pretending to be part of a conversation that you aren't / weren't. The original posters may be gone and not coming back to respond to what you say, and other readers will have to read more carefully than usual to understand this. So it would be better to make a new topic, and perhaps include a link to the old thread, and/or make a few quotes.

Bumping a tech support issue / posting in a feedback thread are special cases because these threads serve a different purpose and have a different structure from other threads.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

It depends a lot on the thread, but the basic idea is that if you should only resurrect a thread if you have something to add that is really highly related to the dead thread's topic. The problem most people have is that their post is not particularly related, just rather similar.

A great example is in the WML Workshop when someone has an error and gets a solution, then someone else posts there a year later saying they have the same error and the thread's solution isn't working. A lot can change in a year, and the new problem might not even be slightly related to the old one. So that would be a situation where a new thread is definitely a good idea.

That said, there are exceptions such as for bumping/resurrecting feedback topics and tech support, though I'd say there's some common sense limitations on those as well. Don't resurrect a thread for an add-on that's been dead since 1.8 (the author is long gone), don't resurrect a tech support thread for 1.10.2 asking for help with 1.11.8 (different versions and different branches, so the problem/solution could be very different even if the error is the same), etc.

Also threads like "you know you have played wesnoth for too long when..." don't really have a time limit since any new thread would cover the exact same topic. You could certainly make a "you know you have played wesnoth for too long when... V2" topic if you want, but at that point you might as well just reuse the old topic so newer members can read the entire thing.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I believe the guideline that was quoted is a double-posting guideline, and there is not currently an official necro-posting guideline.

Posting in old topics is allowed when it makes sense to do so. Otherwise, if it's just some outdated discussion, then you should start a new thread (possibly with links) rather than reviving the dead one.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

I guess it is the common sense that comes with being in the forum long enough to judge whether it is a proper/improper thread resurrection. Although It is humorous that there are a lot of people who necro and then they say sorry about necroing this thread but they necro'd it anyway - it is like you're not supposed to say swear words and then you will swear and then just say sorry.. ^_^
here are some cases straight from the forums:

from http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... ro#p567185
Sorry for digging a topic.
from http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... ro#p565494
Sorry to necro this thread