"infeasible" / "unfeasible"

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

iceiceice

"infeasible" / "unfeasible"

Post by iceiceice »

When I type "infeasible" in this forum, it is underlined in red as a spelling error, and unfeasible is not.
In every textbook I have ever read, the word is printed "infeasible" when it appears. When I type it into google, it will give me a definition for "unfeasible", but it also asks me "did you mean infeasible"? It doesn't ask me this for infeasible.

Can we add this word, or more generally I guess update our dictionary? I'm pretty sure this isn't a spelling mistake.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: "infeasible" / "unfeasible"

Post by Pentarctagon »

I could be wrong, but isn't spell checking a browser feature rather than a forum one?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Hmm, after further looking into this I guess you are right. I never realized that chrome had a builtin checker, or that it was inconsistent with google.com... Sorry!
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Well there's the possibility that the spell checker isn't perfect and doesn't include the alternate spelling, or perhaps it hast two versions of English in its databank (e.g. British English, American English) and in one the spelling is 'infeasible' while in the other the spelling is 'unfeasible' and currently it is checking using the databank of only one of the two. This is based on my some experiences I've had where what I typed in microsoft word was underlined red but when I changed the language from british english to american or vice versa it accepted the word.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@max_torch
You're probably right, according to my spell checker, unfeasible is American English and infeasible is British English.
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

There is no rule for what begins with the prefix 'in-' or 'un-', parallel forms are not unusual.
Being unfamiliar with a variant of a word does not make the variant wrong:
it means that the community you belong to prefers one variant over another.
The "house style" of BfW, for example, is American spelling,
but, as far as I know, there is no reliable rule, no consensus amongst the Americans
as to the handling of the specific negative statement in question.
Both mean 'not feasible' … the option used by most authors/editors to avoid the issue. ;)
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Me fail English? That's unpossible!
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
DranKof

Post by DranKof »

Chewan wrote:There is no rule for what begins with the prefix 'in-' or 'un-', parallel forms are not unusual.
Being unfamiliar with a variant of a word does not make the variant wrong:
it means that the community you belong to prefers one variant over another.
The "house style" of BfW, for example, is American spelling,
but, as far as I know, there is no reliable rule, no consensus amongst the Americans
as to the handling of the specific negative statement in question.
Both mean 'not feasible' … the option used by most authors/editors to avoid the issue. ;)
Hey, Chewan!
First post in a game forum...and it's on linguistics. THAT'S AWESOME. :lol: Welcome to the Forums!