Attachment limits

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

techtonik

Attachment limits

Post by techtonik »

I've tried to attach a 10Mb file several times without success. Upload completes, but nothing is added, no error is displayed and I can't find any information about attachment limits. Is the upload possible at all?
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Attachment limits

Post by Iris »

No, although you should be getting an error message somewhere around the attachment form.

Our forums are not a file storage service, so we do not intend to raise the attachment storage limits at this time. 10 MiB for a single file is well above the limit.

If you need to upload a large file for linking in the forums, you could try using a dedicated online service—such as Dropbox—to host it. On the other hand, if what you are attempting to upload is an add-on you made, our add-ons server is the correct place for that.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
techtonik

Post by techtonik »

I've uploaded it as Windows Update for 1.10.4 but can not provide a link to forum.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

A custom update for Microsoft Windows just to play an obsolete version of Wesnoth (current is 1.10.5) ? :hmm:
And why can't you copy and paste a link into a message?
techtonik

Post by techtonik »

This is an update from 1.10.4 to 1.10.5 that is only 10Mb over standard 300Mb download.
I can't paste the link, because the 1.10.x addons are not accessible over HTTP - http://addons.wesnoth.org/
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

The 1.10 add-on server is the one of the 1.9 cycle, and has not been renamed since. So, http://addons.wesnoth.org/1.9/ are the add-ons for 1.10.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

techtonik wrote:This is an update from 1.10.4 to 1.10.5 that is only 10Mb over standard 300Mb download.
You don’t seem to have understood my first post in this thread very well:
shadowmaster wrote:If you need to upload a large file for linking in the forums, you could try using a dedicated online service—such as Dropbox—to host it. On the other hand, if what you are attempting to upload is an add-on you made, our add-ons server is the correct place for that.
Where by add-on, I mean add-on content that can be used in-game, which your upload is not. Please remove that item from our add-ons server (in the same dialog where you published it), and try using an external service as I originally suggested.

Look, I can even give you a Dropbox referral link if you want to try it: http://db.tt/NCEZ5Hb .
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
techtonik

Post by techtonik »

Crendgrim wrote:The 1.10 add-on server is the one of the 1.9 cycle, and has not been renamed since. So, http://addons.wesnoth.org/1.9/ are the add-ons for 1.10.
Cool. Here is it. =) http://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.9/Win ... .4.tar.bz2
techtonik

Post by techtonik »

shadowmaster wrote:
shadowmaster wrote:If you need to upload a large file for linking in the forums, you could try using a dedicated online service—such as Dropbox—to host it. On the other hand, if what you are attempting to upload is an add-on you made, our add-ons server is the correct place for that.
Where by add-on, I mean add-on content that can be used in-game, which your upload is not. Please remove that item from our add-ons server (in the same dialog where you published it), and try using an external service as I originally suggested.
The new updated binaries can be used in-game. In fact, without them it is hard to play at all. :P I wonder if it is possible to use scripting to copy these files over the old ones to provide auto-update mechanizm?
shadowmaster wrote:Look, I can even give you a Dropbox referral link if you want to try it: http://db.tt/NCEZ5Hb .
Is this some kind of business model? Limiting attachments to some small amount and then using links to lure referalls? :eng:

Does Dropbox require registration to download?

What is the attachment limit anyway? Maybe I could strip archive to attach it directly?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

techtonik wrote:The new updated binaries can be used in-game.
No, they can’t. The package you uploaded does not appear in the Campaigns menu, or when selecting an era or map when creating multiplayer games, nor does it serve any purpose for other add-on authors. In other words, it is not an add-on for the game.

I will insist, once again: remove that package from the add-ons server.
techtonik wrote:Is this some kind of business model? Limiting attachments to some small amount and then using links to lure referalls? :eng:
No. That is just an optional convenience I am providing for you (and me!). This does not change the fact that, as I said before:
shadowmaster wrote:Our forums are not a file storage service, so we do not intend to raise the attachment storage limits at this time.
You can choose by yourself whether to use Dropbox or any other external file storage and distribution service of your preference.
techtonik wrote:Does Dropbox require registration to download?
No.
techtonik wrote:What is the attachment limit anyway? Maybe I could strip archive to attach it directly?
See what I said above about our forums not being a file storage service, as well as point 2c of our Posting Guidelines.

Also, there is an Edit button for your posts. Please do not double-post.
techtonik

Post by techtonik »

shadowmaster wrote:
techtonik wrote:The new updated binaries can be used in-game.
No, they can’t. The package you uploaded does not appear in the Campaigns menu, or when selecting an era or map when creating multiplayer games, nor does it serve any purpose for other add-on authors. In other words, it is not an add-on for the game.
The package I uploaded is an archive with updated binaries for the game. This stage of autoupdating doesn't work yet, because you've completely ignored the question about how to unpack them, and I needed to show them to ask somebody else.
shadowmaster wrote:I will insist, once again: remove that package from the add-ons server.
Does the red color means a threat from authority? Look, that is some amount of work that can be distributed through add-on mechanizm, because it is Wesnoth binaries, and I don't want to distribute it through rapid share or other free file hostings that erase files after a month or so.
shadowmaster wrote:
techtonik wrote:What is the attachment limit anyway? Maybe I could strip archive to attach it directly?
See what I said above about our forums not being a file storage service, as well as point 2c of our Posting Guidelines.
My files are directly related to Wesnoth. Point 2c does not apply here. You still didn't answer the question. If you want to follow 2c then for "convenience for our users and contributors" it will be nice to see attachment limits raised, or at least visible.
shadowmaster wrote:Also, there is an Edit button for your posts. Please do not double-post.
It will be fair to ignore this limitation of yours. Maybe you've used to compose one letter for all threads, but I am not. Let's hope there is no rule for that.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

techtonik wrote:
shadowmaster wrote:No, they can’t. The package you uploaded does not appear in the Campaigns menu, or when selecting an era or map when creating multiplayer games, nor does it serve any purpose for other add-on authors. In other words, it is not an add-on for the game.
The package I uploaded is an archive with updated binaries for the game. This stage of autoupdating doesn't work yet, because you've completely ignored the question about how to unpack them, and I needed to show them to ask somebody else.
Oh, right. That question I missed precisely because you double-posted:
techtonik wrote:I wonder if it is possible to use scripting to copy these files over the old ones to provide auto-update mechanizm?
You may provide a script inside the package to do this using whatever facilities Windows provides for scripting — I cannot give you any specific advice on the matter because I am not a Windows user.

The thing is, you cannot make Wesnoth run the script for you when installing your package (which I will insist once again, is not an add-on for the add-ons server) because this kind of feature would be obviously exploitable and it could be used to compromise our players’ system security through the add-ons server.
techtonik wrote:Does the red color means a threat from authority?
It is a polite request from authority for you to desist from abusing the add-ons server for this purpose.
techtonik wrote:My files are directly related to Wesnoth. Point 2c does not apply here. You still didn't answer the question. If you want to follow 2c then for "convenience for our users and contributors" it will be nice to see attachment limits raised, or at least visible.
Point 2c says nothing about whether attachments should be related to Wesnoth. The point of contention here follows:
This functionality is provided as a convenience for our users and contributors, and not with the intent of an imageboard or public file-sharing service [...]
The attachment limits are “sane enough” and that is all that matters. Nobody following point 2c should ever hit those limits.
techtonik wrote:It will be fair to ignore this limitation of yours. Maybe you've used to compose one letter for all threads, but I am not. Let's hope there is no rule for that.
There is an entry about double-posting and posting habits in general.

I’ll make this more official for you since you decided that it “will be fair” to ignore my advice: please use your Edit button instead of double-posting in the future. If you decide to ignore this, other moderators will start to merge your posts. And more in general, if you continue posting with this “I can do <something> even if I am being warned against it” attitude, I and the rest of the admins team may be unable to provide further support for you in the future. Your intentions may be good in principle (providing a service to Windows users), but you are abusing our leniency.
Max

Post by Max »

techtonik wrote:This is an update from 1.10.4 to 1.10.5 that is only 10Mb over standard 300Mb download.
I can't paste the link, because the 1.10.x addons are not accessible over HTTP - http://addons.wesnoth.org/
the add-on server is indeed the wrong place for binaries...

incremental updates have been discussed before, see http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33691
a proper place for them would be on sourceforge (e.g. the patches from above topic have been placed here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... nofficial/).

if you're really interested in this project create a new thread, tell us about how you create these patches, ...
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Allowing binary patches to code, that have not been tested and signed (or otherwise certified by the official developers), is an invitation to user confusion, operating system corruption, and general pwnage. At best they should be posted privately for developers to look at and discuss, so that less-informed users on this site do not download and apply them, because no support can be given for issues arising from such patches yet (if ever).
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

techtonik wrote:
shadowmaster wrote:Also, there is an Edit button for your posts. Please do not double-post.
It will be fair to ignore this limitation of yours. Maybe you've used to compose one letter for all threads, but I am not. Let's hope there is no rule for that.
There's Point 1f, actually.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code