Another possible forum bug (regarding PMs)

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Moderator Emeritus

Another possible forum bug (regarding PMs)

Post by 8680 »

Upon sending a personal message, I was, after a not unusual delay, redirected to an error page:
General Error

You cannot [or “may not”, “are not allowed to”, et cetera] access this file.

Please contact the administrator [there may have been a “if the problem persists” or “if you have any questions” here].
The message appears to have been sent despite the error.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Another possible forum bug (regarding PMs)

Post by Iris »

That doesn’t sound like the verbatim message, but the case is that I cannot reproduce it here. What happens if you send another PM? (Feel free to spam me.)

Was there anything special about the PM? What URL threw that error anyway?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

shadowmaster wrote:That doesn’t sound like the verbatim message, ...
No, it isn’t. It’s the page as best as I can remember it, minus colors (I think it had the first line in red, the other lines in ~#159; typical prosilver light blue background (but it didn’t look like prosilver, more like maybe subsilver); red or green border).
shadowmaster wrote:What happens if you send another PM? (Feel free to spam me.)
Done. I got the “your PM was successfully sent” page.
shadowmaster wrote:Was there anything special about the PM?
It had a file attached, which I attached to the PM I sent you (and should probably be deleted once this is over).
shadowmaster wrote:What URL threw that error anyway?
I got there from the “Submit” button. (Or do you mean the URL of the error page? I don’t know that.)
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

No, it isn’t. It’s the page as best as I can remember it, minus colors (I think it had the first line in red, the other lines in ~#159; typical prosilver light blue background (but it didn’t look like prosilver, more like maybe subsilver); red or green border).
It had a file attached, which I attached to the PM I sent you (and should probably be deleted once this is over).
I got there from the “Submit” button. (Or do you mean the URL of the error page? I don’t know that.)
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

...And there’s another possible bug — I didn’t click “Submit” thrice or similar, and the “your post was successfully submitted” page didn’t load (I don’t know the exact error code, but I think it was in the 5xx range, and it felt like 503 or 504).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

8680 wrote:
Nah, error pages used a built-in minimal style..
8680 wrote:
The error page does not exist on its own and its URL is that of whatever action that failed. I just wanted to know if the Submit URL had been generated wrong or something. Not very important anyway.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

8680 wrote:...And there’s another possible bug — I didn’t click “Submit” thrice or similar, and the “your post was successfully submitted” page didn’t load (I don’t know the exact error code, but I think it was in the 5xx range, and it felt like 503 or 504).
According to our logs you actually sent POST requests for this topic at 04:43:32 UTC, 04:44:04 UTC, and 04:44:43 UTC all to the same URL. The database maintenance task I was running at the time might have caused the delay that resulted in the posts being registered with the same timestamp around 04:47 UTC.