Access for people with literacy problems

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lindsay40k

Access for people with literacy problems

Post by lindsay40k »

My friend's trying to register on the forums. She is dyslexic, and finding the anti-spam captcha impossible to complete, and can't seem to find an 'access' button. She's using Firefox on Vista, if that's relevant.
currently contributing art to Internet Meme Era
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Access for people with literacy problems

Post by Turuk »

Could you not do it for her?

Send me a PM with the details she is trying to set up, and I can help.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
lindsay40k

Post by lindsay40k »

I couldn't help, on account of not being in the same room. She eventually managed to give the correct characters, so this instance has worked out, but really if there isn't an accessibility button next to the captcha it's going to cause problems.
currently contributing art to Internet Meme Era
palloco

Post by palloco »

I hate captchas, you don't need to be dyslexic to be unable to solve some of them: "is this an I,l or 1?", "o, Q or 0?"
Appart from what Turuk said, or assisting her by instant messaging (she sents you the image), I was wondering if it wouldn't be possible to solve it without reading it? As far as I know dyslexia means having problems associating symbols with their meanings. So how about looking for shapes and try to match them in the keyboard?
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

There's an email to one of the forum admins on the registration page to contact in these cases.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
uzytkownik

Post by uzytkownik »

palloco wrote:I hate captchas, you don't need to be dyslexic to be unable to solve some of them: "is this an I,l or 1?", "o, Q or 0?"
Appart from what Turuk said, or assisting her by instant messaging (she sents you the image), I was wondering if it wouldn't be possible to solve it without reading it? As far as I know dyslexia means having problems associating symbols with their meanings. So how about looking for shapes and try to match them in the keyboard?
I have a bit of dyslexia (although not continous). At least from my experience it is not directly problem with 'associating symbols with their meanings' as forgetting 'abc'(although it may be a case with stronger dyslexia and/or different types - I'm not a doctor). The problem is that I miss a dash in 't' and I see 'l'. I could bet it is 'l'. But the difference is this invisible dash.
At least in my case reading symbols on keyboard would not help as I really belive it is other letter no matter how long I look on it (unless it is something bizzard - but in this case it won't help - then I can 'guess').

I guess that the most helpful would be usage of real words as the 'blanks' can be easily filled by human. Other solutions are asking to solve '2 + four' or '5 + number of states'. However I cannot speak for all (I don't have it strong).
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

The captchas can be difficult even for people who are expert linguists. Often there will be an alternate audio version. Don't know if we have that here however.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

ancestral wrote:Often there will be an alternate audio version. Don't know if we have that here however.
Currently no, but it notes that anyone having problems can contact an administrator, who can activate their account for them.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time