Forum Upgrade

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Forum Upgrade

Post by Kestenvarn »

I have to say, this looks really nice.
Darth Jordius

Re: Forum Upgrade

Post by Darth Jordius »

Yes, very attractive. Congratulations, I'm surprised it didn't take longer.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Very niiiiiiiice!
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Overall, probably an improvement (though it'll take getting used to).

But - the smilie selection needs to be fixed. I mean, come on - " :P "? Looks idiotic. The old smilie obtained by ":P" was much better.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Hmm... Mine's yellow.

Is there a way I can turn down the pastel and make it less.... Marigold?
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, after reading the forums for a bit longer, I'm going to have to retract my previous "probably an improvement" statement.

I understand wanting the forum skin to be similar to the wiki skin - but the reason the wiki skin works is that the text your reading is on that background color. The forum posts are on a considerably darker color (with the wiki bg color sitting there with no text on it), and IMO it makes the text hard to read. I would vote for using the wiki bg color as the bg for the posts, and, if necessary, some other color for the bg of the forums (though I see no problem with the same color both places).

Anyone else agree with this assessment?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

I agree with Turin here. I find the forum now to be quite good-looking, but a bit harder to read as compared to previously. I suggest just making all backgrounds a tad lighter. But maybe we'll all get used to this format after a while, so there's no urgency in this.

But the forum's definitely much snappier, thank you for that; it definitely helps especially for those who use dial-up connections to visit the forums. I can even notice the faster speed on my home broadband connection.
Take a breath.
vicza

Post by vicza »

anakayub wrote:I agree with Turin here.
I agree, too. I think, the new colors are simply irritating. The previous colors were more neutral and so much nicer to read. And with these new ones -- eye will get tired very fast, I think.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Agreed that the two post background colours could do with lightening a few shades. SImilarly, the read link colour could do with being a different shade of the brown/red colour used for the unread link colour, rather than the current blue...

A less quick and easy fix is of the colours of the buttons (new topic, post reply etc) and posting indicators - they clash a little bit with the blue still used on them.

Very nice work, though. It looks a lot better to have a unified theme across the whole site =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
vicza

Post by vicza »

turin wrote:I understand wanting the forum skin to be similar to the wiki skin
thespaceinvader wrote:It looks a lot better to have a unified theme across the whole site
What wiki, what unifies theme are you all talking about? :o I see no changes in the website itself.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:? You mean you didn't notice that the background color on these forums is exactly the same as that on the home page and wiki?...
The World of Orbivm
vicza

Post by vicza »

turin wrote::? You mean you didn't notice that the background color on these forums is exactly the same as that on the home page and wiki?...
Well, actually not. :hmm: Except for this header with Lisar the background is white. In wiki, too.
Attachments
back.PNG
back.PNG (148.03 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

turin wrote:I understand wanting the forum skin to be similar to the wiki skin - but the reason the wiki skin works is that the text your reading is on that background color. The forum posts are on a considerably darker color (with the wiki bg color sitting there with no text on it), and IMO it makes the text hard to read. I would vote for using the wiki bg color as the bg for the posts, and, if necessary, some other color for the bg of the forums (though I see no problem with the same color both places).

Anyone else agree with this assessment?
Seconded. The actual background colour looks fine, but the darker one used for the background of posts is too dark.

I think it's good to alternate post background colours - when you're scrolling rapidly through a thread it gives you an instant idea of how far through you've gone. I suggest:
(a) the forum background colour and
(b) the lighter of the two post background colours (maybe a little lighter still).

P.S. It's good to finally be able to use the buttons insert smilies into the middle of a post.

P.P.S. What does the little circle on some of the "new post" and "locked" icons mean?

[EDIT] Vicza, it's not white, it's a pale yellow. Scroll down to the bottom of the homepage. See the "hosted by ibiblio" logo? That's white.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I agree that it would be a good idea to lighten the post background colours by a few shades. Other than that, the new forums seem pretty solid.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
ulissesroc

Post by ulissesroc »

afaics it looks great, and no problems so far reading posts.

edit: typo