Images..

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dantheperson

Images..

Post by dantheperson »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but may I use some wesnoth images for an online flash game I am making? My website is http://fivesidedtriangle.ecwhost.com/ and a beta version of the game using those images can be found at http://fivesidedtriangle.ecwhost.com/ga ... asion.html.
sparr

Post by sparr »

the source code to your game would have to be available under the GPL if you compile wesnoth's GPLed artwork into it.
JW

Post by JW »

lol, this game is funny. I just beat level 24 by recruiting 234 infantry. I think 2 died. =)

-edit-

And I just beat level 25 with 174 bowman, 0 of which died. XD

Beat 27 with 66 infantry, 174 archers and 7 infantry died. =(

Ya know, it's fun watching their line melt under 344 infantry, but I'm guessing this just goes on infinitely. After level 30 I'm done. :p

At level 30 I found that buying 434 infantry makes the orcs weep. Also my browser.

And level 31 found that 60 and 60 loses 17 infantry.

The same on 32 lost me 11 infantry. =/

It was fun to play for a few minutes, but there isn't much to the game. Also, Tanks doesn't work for me.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

You should have the orcs be able to create more units; also, maybe having the player be able to move his stuff w/arow keys. Just so you actually do something.
hey.
Alks

Post by Alks »

This game has an idea.
Nice and funny, although quickly gets boring. When it gets finished or more complex, post some information. I don't want to talk for everyone, but you'll get some testers here ;)
dantheperson

Post by dantheperson »

Thanks for the comments on the game, and yes it does go on forever, but my question hasn't really been answered. If you have game feedback please go to the contact me page on my website and email me.
Alks

Post by Alks »

sparr wrote:the source code to your game would have to be available under the GPL if you compile wesnoth's GPLed artwork into it.
That's the answer.
You can use the Wesnoth images without violating any law, if your game is under GPL license.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Actually, I don't think that's true. It's possible to make a GPL-coded game with non-GPL graphics, and vice versa. YOu'd have to check the GPL to be sure, though.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Got bored of this pretty quickly, I just keep hitting "make more archers" as fast as I can.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

About game:

in one of levels all my infantry gone out of the screen ( south) and all orcs gone as far north as they could. Then my archers started shooting, but they did no damage, and i made some infantry, who chased orcs, but they did no damage too. So i got stuck ;-).

About GPL:

As far as i know, he can use it even for commercial use, and he can copyright his images, even if he doesnt change them, but still there will be those GPL'ed. Theoretically, nobody will be allown to copy images from his game, but they can state they copied them from elsewhere, where they were on GPL. The same with BfW. If it is on GPL, it can be used freely as long, as there is at least one copy still under GPL, from which everybody share to make more copies. But if somebody wishes, he can take GPL'ed version and just change license, and start selling. Thats with GPL. But other opensource programms might have other licenses - as far as i know, slackware is under such license, that you cant sell it for money. But you can sell CD with free slackware on it. Thats how it gots sold in shops in Poland. uffff - that was long...
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
scott

Post by scott »

kshinji wrote: But if somebody wishes, he can take GPL'ed version and just change license, and start selling. Thats with GPL.
You can't change the license, but you can sell it as long as you provide the source code.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
dantheperson

Post by dantheperson »

So I can do just what I'm doing if I don't sell it?
scott

Post by scott »

dantheperson wrote:So I can do just what I'm doing if I don't sell it?
No, you can sell it. You just have to give out the source files too (and allow people to modify/redistribute the parts under the GPL).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
dantheperson

Post by dantheperson »

I don't quite understand. Do you mean if I do not sell the game this usage is fine?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

It means that it's ok to take Wesnoth graphics and use them in your game, but: anyone must then, in turn, be able to take your game or parts of it (like graphics or sound), tweak it, modify it, and distribute it as much as they want. You can still sell the game if you want, but you can't really prevent others from selling it as well.

You also give the source code of your game to anyone who wants it. This means that in addition to your finished game, you must give access to your "project files", which I think would most likely be .fla files. But more generally, you must give access to the files that you would usually use when making changes to the game. As far as I know, flash movies/games are developed in some intermediate format, and only when publishing them they're converted to an .swf file. So, in addition to the final .swf file, you must also publish the .fla file, or whatever it is that you would use to modify the game.