Ghost level 2 options:

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What do you think of this idea?

Good idea - RIPLB
36%
Bad idea - Wraith is already overpowered.
15%
Interesting idea.
37%
No opinion.
12%

Total votes: 59

JW

Re: Ghost level 2 options:

Post by JW »

JW wrote: This is what I was thinking:

Spook
25hp
6-3 Cold, drain, melee
5-3 Cold, ranged
Notice I left it at level 2. I agree that there should not be a level 3 upgrade for this unit as it would be too compelling to use under ALL circumstances.

New proposed unit:

Banshee
25hp
Penetrating Touch: 5-4 Cold, drain, melee
Ghastly Cry: 7-3 Cold, ranged

Of course the names would have to be changed to something shorter. ;)
Mustelid

Post by Mustelid »

Seems like there's no good reason to change the names from Wail and Touch, since they're essentially just upgraded versions of the same attack. I'd think that it's poor design to rename attacks unless their nature significantly changes on levelling.
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

If we're taking D&D as precedent, sure. How desirable that is would be a gigantic thread to itself.
Seems D&D is inspired by H.P. Lovecraft there, so it's not as bad as it looks at the first glance...

:P
JW

Post by JW »

Mustelid wrote:Seems like there's no good reason to change the names from Wail and Touch, since they're essentially just upgraded versions of the same attack. I'd think that it's poor design to rename attacks unless their nature significantly changes on levelling.
They just sounded so cool I had to put them there. :P

Like I said, their length probably prohibits their use. I think "Ghastly Cry" is pretty awesome though and should be considered at least. ;)

Besides, I don't see how it's bad design - the attack could be somewhat different since it's a different unit. The attack gets more powerful and "Wail" doesn't sound all that strong to me; it sound like what a baby does.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I still think that the Wraith and Shadow are too much more powerful than the ghost. I want -1 damage for each of their melee attacks. :o
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I still think that the Wraith and Shadow are too much more powerful than the ghost. I want -1 damage for each of their melee attacks. :o
I agree--remember, by not going up to level three, it should be stronger than other level twos, weaker than level threes or less hp ( in this case, slightly weaker and tad bit more hp than level twos.

My only problem is having both touch and wail cold. I would suggest hsving it a long, eerie, piercing wail than a chilling one:)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
JW

Post by JW »

Thrawn wrote: My only problem is having both touch and wail cold. I would suggest hsving it a long, eerie, piercing wail than a chilling one:)
The whole point of the proposed unit is to solve the RIPLB problem with the Ghost.

Changing his ranged to Pierce would just add another problem... =/
Lord_Aether

Re: Ghost level 2 options:

Post by Lord_Aether »

JW wrote:
Banshee
25hp
Penetrating Touch: 5-4 Cold, drain, melee
Ghastly Cry: 7-3 Cold, ranged
I like this one. Leave it at 2nd level, maybe decrease the ranged by 1.

Ranged should be wail, you know, like as in wail of the banshee. Other should be changed too, but I have no opinion on to what. :roll:
Mac OS X 10.5.7
Wesnoth 1.6.2
Sly

Post by Sly »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Lost Soul
Level 2
23 HP
7 moves
6-3 Touch
melee--cold
drain
5-5 Wail
ranged--cold

Banshee
Level 3
30 HP
8 moves
8-3 Touch
melee--cold
drain
6-6 Wail
ranged--cold
I rather like this one ! Maybe lower his ranged attacks (4-4 and 5-5 instead)

But overall, this is a good option
Elvish_Pillager

Sly wrote:I rather like this one ! Maybe lower his ranged attacks (4-4 and 5-5 instead)

But overall, this is a good option
4-4 on a level 2? That's actually less than his melee attack, which I did not want.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
JW

Post by JW »

You know what, taking a second look at it, EPs numcers look fine for the level 2 unit - but I still think it should stop at level 2.
Elvish_Pillager

I'd be fine with it stopping at level two if you keep the name 'Banshee' and the 8 moves from the level 3 version. Or come up with a better name, of course...
Sly

Post by Sly »

JW wrote:You know what, taking a second look at it, EPs numcers look fine for the level 2 unit - but I still think it should stop at level 2.
If it stop at lvl2, then keep the 5-5 (at least) and as EP says, name it Banshee :wink:
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I'd be fine with it stopping at level two if you keep the name 'Banshee' and the 8 moves from the level 3 version. Or come up with a better name, of course...
8 moves on a lvl2 :shock: . Well damn, this could be a nice village robber after the Ghost survives its first batch of battles.

I vote for this cold-wielding, swift-moving, fear-inducing addition to the Ghost tree. Let us brainstorm on Ghoul branches while graphics get donated.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Well I don't see why you couldn't give wraith cold+drain and -1 dmg, or alternatively give the shadow cold and -1 dmg. people seem to avoid the shadow as it is now, so perhaps that would make it more attractive.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle