1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Re: 1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Post by Wintermute »

Sparta wrote:So can anybody give me tips and do's and don'ts of my replay?
I would suggest recruiting a more balanced force. You did not use thunderers, which a human player would probably exploit. The AI will not really punish you if only recruit fighters, but it would be one way to improve your game.

Another tip would be to try to cover you ulfs with ZoC elvish fighters cost 14 and your ulf is 19, so if you let a fighter attack and kill your ulf, you have lost a fair bit of gold. That is just in general of course, there are times you can get two units with your ulf, but it's something to keep in mind.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Sparta

Post by Sparta »

Wintermute wrote:
Sparta wrote:So can anybody give me tips and do's and don'ts of my replay?
I would suggest recruiting a more balanced force. You did not use thunderers, which a human player would probably exploit. The AI will not really punish you if only recruit fighters, but it would be one way to improve your game.

Another tip would be to try to cover you ulfs with ZoC elvish fighters cost 14 and your ulf is 19, so if you let a fighter attack and kill your ulf, you have lost a fair bit of gold. That is just in general of course, there are times you can get two units with your ulf, but it's something to keep in mind.
Yeah I should recruited Thunderers, but the problem with me is I don't know when to recruit Thunderers,
in my first turn I recruited units so I would have all my villages on the 3rd turn, and I couldn't seem to recruit Thunderers for this reason.

With the Ulfserker that got killed by the Elvish Fighter, It was what I expected and didn't care anyways since I took out a mage (and the How to play series tells you to take out a mage whenever possible), but then I had the chance to ZoC and defend my Ulfserker, but there was an Elvish Scout behind my 2 fighters so I decided to kill him in the cost of my Ulfserker.
Was anything good or anything else wrong? I'll keep in mind about the Thunderers, thanks.

Also, did I place my units appropiatly? Did I attack properly, etc?
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Sparta wrote:Yeah I should recruited Thunderers, but the problem with me is I don't know when to recruit Thunderers, in my first turn I recruited units so I would have all my villages on the 3rd turn, and I couldn't seem to recruit Thunderers for this reason.
I would recruit a thunderer in almost any situation on turn one. And have another one a few turns later. But I play with more thunderers than some other players.
Sparta wrote:Also, did I place my units appropiatly? Did I attack properly, etc?
unit placement seemed ok to me for the most part: you keep them on the mountians, you let the AI come attack you on good terrian, etc. In a game against the AI with two neutral factions there isn't really much of a good or bad time to attack, it is more a question of numbers. After you outnumber them, you move ahead. Games against human opponents will be better to help you figure out when the right time to push or fall back is.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Sparta

Post by Sparta »

Wintermute wrote:
Sparta wrote:Yeah I should recruited Thunderers, but the problem with me is I don't know when to recruit Thunderers, in my first turn I recruited units so I would have all my villages on the 3rd turn, and I couldn't seem to recruit Thunderers for this reason.
I would recruit a thunderer in almost any situation on turn one. And have another one a few turns later. But I play with more thunderers than some other players.
Sparta wrote:Also, did I place my units appropiatly? Did I attack properly, etc?
unit placement seemed ok to me for the most part: you keep them on the mountians, you let the AI come attack you on good terrian, etc. In a game against the AI with two neutral factions there isn't really much of a good or bad time to attack, it is more a question of numbers. After you outnumber them, you move ahead. Games against human opponents will be better to help you figure out when the right time to push or fall back is.
Ah ok thanks, I just wanted to see the elite's view of my playstyle as I never had someone judge how I play,
I'm going to play multiplayer matches alot more now (After I get free'd from the SurvivalXtreme addictness, which is slowly fading away).. Oh and I really didn't expect that Wose that ambushed my Fighter. :shock:
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Learn from mistakes you see of others' games (from all players), and not just when playing. :wink:

Both 1.4.2, my first games since my last replay posted here. Both on Weldyn Channel.

One is a Ud vs Loy (me). Here i recruited a force mainly of cav's, HI's, mages and horsemen after knowing my opponent's faction. Since skeleton-units are resistant to horse units, always remember to screen your DA's with them as HI's are slow to catch up. Here my fast horse units allowed strong charges deep into enemy territory at day from far away. When my opponent decided to continue engagement at day, I followed up with my walking troops coming from behind. All of that was on the west side. The east side was easily pressured with only 2 HI's and a cav pressuring forward at day after an initial skirmish by my opponent, as there were not as many enemies on that side.

The other is a Northener vs Knalgan (me), with me winning my first NvK 1v1. Here I think my opponent lost when he over-recruited assassins gobbos and archers. It was slow, by eventually 3 ufserkers attacking together made a big difference to stop one front while aggressively pushing another. But I certainly did not play as well either. I had a lot of bleeding XP and should have taken a lot more care of my experienced units. I need a lot more practice with this matchup, quite obvious when watching this replay.
Attachments
Weldyn_Channel_-_PureIce_(U)_vs_anakayub_(L)_(v).gz
(23.28 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
Weldyn_Channel_Turn_-_genofefgnom_PL_(N)_vs_anakayub_(K)_(v).gz
(40.79 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
Take a breath.
Rembrandt

Post by Rembrandt »

Thanks Elvenking for an entertaining game.
Attachments
2p_-_Weldyn_Channel-Auto-Save30.gz
(35.26 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
hogar

Post by hogar »

Dark_Beer_Adept asked for this replay and here it is. We played without observers. Undead vs drakes.
Attachments
2p_-_Weldyn_Channel_replay_-_tetsuo.gz
replay
(214.35 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
Dark_Beer_Adept

Post by Dark_Beer_Adept »

hogar wrote:Dark_Beer_Adept asked for this replay and here it is. We played without observers. Undead vs drakes.
Oh thx a lot, i was gonna tell you to send it in a PM but its ok.
beer can flow or it can clash, be beer my friend
Faello

Post by Faello »

2 games against XMan ( good games dude :) ), both ended by leader assasinations - one won, one lost by me ( unfortunately I didn't save whole replay of the lost game - but I can say that adept finished me off after my phase of movement :) - what's interesting, in both bats were responsible for the final outcome :D

Have fun watching !
Attachments
onisboy.gz
20 turns, My first or second game on this map, I get eco&initiative advantage but I go for "I save you, footpad xD !" crusade and don't escape fast enough when I failed to ehh...save the foot :F
(18.38 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
CoupdeGrace.gz
36turns game, bat blocks the bridge and allows me to finish the job
(27.7 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
vjoe

Post by vjoe »

Hi everybody,

I started to play BfW last Saturday and I'm loving the game. Today I've played my best match so far. I've made some mistakes, but I managed to win after figuring out which were the strengths and weaknesses of my opponent's faction.

Any comments will be appreciated. :)
Attachments
2p_-_Caves_of_the_Basilisk_replay.gz
(44.03 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
kav

Drake v Northerners replay

Post by kav »

This is a nice 1v1 fight where I'm the Drakes and my friend is the Northerners. I've never done this well with the drakes before. I've watched the replay and I'm not sure what I should have done differently. I'm thinking I should have had more clashers instead of 1 of the fighters and the skirmisher. I found it interesting that the healer and the glider were the most important units in that game. The healer was negating all the poison and the glider's house taking threat kept the archers out of the fight.

Either way it's a nice fight that ends up with him chasing me all the way back to my keep using area of control with neither of us having many units left. Input always welcome :D
Attachments
2p_-_Hamlets_replay.gz
Drakes vs Northerners replay 1.4.4
(13.29 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

I hereby post a match I played vs redrum.
In spite of the rng goddess being a little drunk again it was fun to play.
I didn't believe I could win it at some point, but redrum was either too
compassionate or in rage, nevertheless it came to a neat end. :)

best regards leocrotta (nani)
Attachments
leocrotta_vs_redrum.gz
loyas(redrum) vs orcs(leocrotta) on hornshark
(24.52 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

A fun game indeed, me (Loys) vs KnightKunibert (Elves) on Weldyns Channel.

I am known to be risky with my leader, but i swear: The rng went so wild at times that i kept him out of trouble, even if there was a slight chance to die. Well, ok, one exception maybe :wink: .

Anyway, a game worth to watch. Have fun.
Attachments
Ladder_yogi_(Loyalists)_vs_KnightKunibert_(Elves).gz
yogi_(Loys)_vs_KnightKunibert_(Elves)
(44.09 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

A nice (if mechancial replay) of Knalgans vs Loyalists. Whether the knalgans were out-knalganing the loyalists, or the loyalists were out-knalganing the knalgans is open to some interpetation. (I'd say loyalists, though knalgans have a natural advantage in out-knalganing, anyone)
Attachments
2p_-_Den_of_Onis_replay.gz.zip
(23.07 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

another Den of Onis replay
was a quite entertaining match, around 30 turns

northies vs loyals

some of the few matches i saved as a replay,well what can i say -

was really a good and fun match, after all i made at least one mistake in the beginning which led to a quite high death rate on my side, but somehow i got back into the game

somehow i feel that the northies should have get at least one archer from beginning on, that woudl have been more ugly for me, i guess, imo the northies got to late some archers

(just for the books: both opponents picked their sides, the host (zorro) picked northies as he saw me using loys, i didnt say anything, since this seems to be established nowadays)

EDIT:
and i just wanted to add that i also had a bit luck from what i see ;)
so i surely didnt suffer bad luck in this game, the first two kills were quite lucky, after that luck evened out again - in the last two/three turns luck again a bit on my side

in any case zorro made a good game here, if i would have suffered some bad luck things could have gone otherwise

as said i made some mistakes with the cavalryson the sides, so i surelylearned something in this game

Den of Onis is a nice map though, kinda straight play, nice
Attachments
2S_–_Den_of_Onis_Mabuse_vs_Zorro.gz
(24.62 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
The best bet is your own, good Taste.