SXRPG Version 6.0.5 -- 1.16 Server

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mabuse

Re: SXRPG Version 5.2.5c -- on 1.14 + 1.15/1.16 Server

Post by Mabuse »

Spirit_of_Currents wrote: September 11th, 2021, 7:30 am I tried to attach a game save where the blessed bug is but I got an error message "Invalid file extension."
just trust me: blessed increases strikes by 20%. i just yesterday tested it quickly (just start a new game chose solo-sylph, beginner diff, add 5 strikes and then blessing. strikes rise from 10 to 12). But i also play a lot recently to check game balance and gameplay, and yesterday i just upgraded weapons with blessed and it works fine.

You can just quick-test it for yourself - after all, this is one of the "less-bug-prone" things, since it uses the "in-game predefined" weapon secial templates

this is the relevant code:

Code: Select all

[set_specials]
			mode=append
		[attacks]
			id=blessing
			name= _ "blessed"
			description= _ "When used offensively, blessed weapons do 20% more STRIKES than usual. This weapon special isn't activiated on defense."
			multiply=1.2
			apply_to=self
			active_on=offense
		[/attacks]
		[/set_specials]
the MULTIPLIER of "1.2" within the Tag "attacks" defines the Value the number of attacks (strikes) get multiplied with.
IF there would be a bug, i would not be able to do anything against it (except raise for example multiplier to 1.21 for example to get rid of rounding issues)

This has been mistrusted and tested carefully upon implementation, and it is correctly working, unless in wesnoth 1.14 the code is broken (but that is not the case). its basically a hardcoded special where just a number is changed. but as said i revisited the functionality again and its fine.
(source of problem can be still if that number is not correctly set ;))

so i just checked wether there is probably a BLESSED option that have not the correct value but could not find such a thing and checked all in-game items if the value is properly set, but couldnt find any issues.

i just checked all instances with this TAG ("[attacks]") and the blessings seem to have the correct value.
(via "search-in-file"-option it lists all occasions where this piece of code is present, all blessing values are correctly set)
Spirit_of_Currents wrote: September 11th, 2021, 7:30 am You can move over campfires without taking damage if you don't stop over them. However, if you see a new enemy, you'll stop. So it's luck-based whether you take damage or not. Therefore I suggest you always stop over campfires but take less damage.
ok, good thing, will be implemented.
(Point is though, i dont know wether its possible to detect movement over specific hexes and force a sop there, so right now, its is luck thingy wether you can avoid the flames or not, so if you want to be sure dont setp over it - i got used to the things that you can avoid flame with a bit of luck. as said i dont know wether its possible (yet) to force a stop on certain hexes. so it can be as well that it stays some kind of gamble.)
Spirit_of_Currents wrote: September 11th, 2021, 7:30 am I've got an item that makes me undead, and another item that makes adjacent enemies' some resistances worse, but I can't see the effects in my unit description below the ToD. I suggest you can see somewhere the list of every item you've got. It would also make it easier to find item-related bugs.
ok, good thing will be implemented, in the quick view in unit-Field AND in "Inventory" i guess.
Spirit_of_Currents wrote: September 11th, 2021, 7:30 am I've had some situations where I want to defend with a slowing melee attack and a high damage ranged attack. It's sad I can't choose both unless the ranged attack also slows or I don't have a non-slowing melee attack.
hmm, i see - so you want to see this separated for melee and ranged.
can be done :). will be implemented
Spirit_of_Currents wrote: September 11th, 2021, 7:30 am The description of precision says "will delete current magical, magical circle and marksman specials". What about focus?
focus doesnt get deleted, instead precision just overrides the 70% cth to 80%, but the +50% damage deal/taken will be still present.
its definately wanted to combine focus and precision
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

1.14 introduced enter hex event.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Currently im a bit procrastinating on the new stuff i want to make :)
(but that changes right now ... )

so im wasting my time with testing and balancing.

but after testing solo a lot (which works pretty well), i found out that team play is currently okish, but i t lacks some advantages.

-obviously a solo hero has the advantage being stronger at start so he can deal with creeps
- he potentially more mobile as he can concentrate all firepower on a single spot
- he profits most from gold-giving abilities

solo play is fun enough and dont need more boosts

----------------------------------------------------

team has also advantages (more heroes generate more mana for example, can heal themselves, have more hp alltogether), but lacks a bit support on the "we benefit from being a team" section. so i decided to give team some buffs.

the most lacking part is mobilty, concentrating fire power on a single spot and that gold giving abilities are useless on 5 player team

so:
----

- teleport ability will be recalled (in a changed way), obviously silver-mage has it for free, but magic users will be able to buy it for ability point, and it may be found as item. it will enable the caster to teleport next to allied heroes, to strenghen the idea of mages as mobile supporters.
i just need to think about the costs, should no be too expensive bit also not to cheap ;)

- gold giving abilities wil be modified so that ALL players get more gold when someone with soulstealer (OR similar) kills a unit.
- for scavenger the drop chance will increase per present player by 18%. so scavenger drop at 5 player 100% 3-5 gold per kill (from that player)

difficulty:
----------

for gameplay purposes i think about making enemy bosses, that you sneak around, get more aggressive once you passed them and may leave fortified positions to follow you, also boosting some end-battles
Spirit_of_Currents

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

Why can't you buy full stamina/mana in shops?

Why do you get more max stamina/mana and stamina/mana regen by buying anything instead of specifically?

Why can't you control more than one unit simultaneously?

I was told to kill a particular recruiter before turn 30 because I wouldn't get gold from killing that side's units afterwards. I suggest a following change: you still get the kill gold after the turn limit if the recruiter is dead.

In the scenario CoC, I stepped on the item in hex 21.6 but nothing happened.
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Spirit_of_Currents wrote: September 12th, 2021, 3:11 pm Why can't you buy full stamina/mana in shops?
would be too powerful, also it would favor casters even more, you could "buy" raw damage, getting demons and mercs "unlimited"
Spirit_of_Currents wrote: September 12th, 2021, 3:11 pm Why do you get more max stamina/mana and stamina/mana regen by buying anything instead of specifically?
basically GOLD is XP in SXRPG, you get GOLD (XP) from killing units, you spend it and get more powerful.
that your mana/stamina rises while you get more powerful is consistent.

giving the player ability to boost it even further (execpt with class-specific items or boss items)
would make it too powerful and also would favor casters even more
Spirit_of_Currents wrote: September 12th, 2021, 3:11 pm Why can't you control more than one unit simultaneously?
well you can, if you get demons or mercs.

to control several heroes simultaneously, and making all the stuff unit dependent, not side dependent, could be possible, but a lot of work.. Like a total conversion, with tons of bugs to fix and a [censored] of work that could go into ... more content instead.
(for the benefit of a bit better teamplay among the heroes in certain situation.)

wont happen in the near future ;)
instead you may want to strategically position the different classes in the player-slots, placing the supporting mages on the first places and the "finishers" to the last places. but it could be also beneficial to have an emergency mage in last slot. (especially with upcoming teleport ability)

strategically placing the heroes in the slots will improve effectivity of the team, but there is no advantage with having also situational disadvantages

BUT .... ----> we can talk about givin mercs and demons more options (i actualy plan to give them backstab (berserk backstab to be exact), to give them a tactical option) and possibilities to boost them and/or individualize them. in general this section can be fleshed out by far ofc.

its actualy a most basic implementation

for now, as said, teleport will come (ability to teleport next to allied players) and scavanger/bounty and soulstealer/reward got overweorked so that they differ now more from each other and benefit from having more players INTEAM

soulstealer/reward will be changed to grant EVERY player +1 gold if the unit with the ability kills something, so it strengehens the whole team,
while scavenger/bounty_hunter get an increased chance to drop gold from slain units ye more players are ingame, so its more a personal unit boost

also the BOSS item-drop-chance upgrade will also increase scavenger-value now, so basically there can be always a (lvery low) chance that creeps drop gold (like bosses may drop items) but only scavenger/bounty ability will seriously boost it. if i calculated correctly adding like 4% to boss drop chance will surely pay off throughout the course of the game (in solo), so its a save bet raising it slightly.

i think scavenger will be interesting in team games, while soulstealer is better in solo
Spirit_of_Currents wrote: September 12th, 2021, 3:11 pm I was told to kill a particular recruiter before turn 30 because I wouldn't get gold from killing that side's units afterwards. I suggest a following change: you still get the kill gold after the turn limit if the recruiter is dead.
ok, thats a good thing :)
Spirit_of_Currents wrote: September 12th, 2021, 3:11 pm In the scenario CoC, I stepped on the item in hex 21.6 but nothing happened.
ok, will look at it :)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Spirit_of_Currents wrote: September 12th, 2021, 3:11 pm I was told to kill a particular recruiter before turn 30 because I wouldn't get gold from killing that side's units afterwards. I suggest a following change: you still get the kill gold after the turn limit if the recruiter is dead.
hmm, i thought about that again. no, after this turn limit, kills from that side wont grant gold anymore.
life is hard, deal with it. 8)

after that turn limit units from that side are just dead weight.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Spirit_of_Currents wrote: September 12th, 2021, 3:11 pm In the scenario CoC, I stepped on the item in hex 21.6 but nothing happened.
which version do you use?

5.2.5c is the actual version.
in the actual version it should be fixed.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, i also plan kinda to allow a setting at game start (or better BEFORE the game start --> via lobby-slider) to allow to set the game ahead in time.

so right now, a normal game starts at level 0 (would be 1 on slider). but you would be able to select starting level up to 4 (5 on slider).
all preplaced enemies would get adjusted values, as well as newly spawned. per level you would get about 700 additional gold.
so starting at level 4 (5) you get 2800 additional gold per hero

point is that you would start with more gold and better developed heroes right away, without (hopefully) affecting balance too much.
i guess start would be easier since most scenarios start more or less relaxed. maybe we need to adjust gold a bit down for lower straing levels.
or increase it gradually.

but at the cost that creep progression would be much steeper (due to increasing progression).
starting level 4 and reaching turn 100 would be a very different thing

so it would be just a "sandboxy" thing to adjust starting gold but keeping everything else balanced.
it may take a bit work for conversion to make the values exchangeable but i think having a variety at start level is worth it :)

maybe if we really go crazy we allow increase starting level up to 9 (10) , but startin at that level would be very hard, since creeps would reach crazy stats quickly. on the other hand you have access to fully developed heroes with starting gold around 7000. :)

as said, this i jus an idea, i may turn out more complicated then it actually sounds ;)

EDIT:
--------
but anyways, priority for now is to add the new map.
basically i could load up another version with the recent changes, but for now on the new map has 100% priority.
Spirit_of_Currents

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

You have nice ideas in your previous post, Mabuse! It sounds interesting to have more starting gold but more powerful enemies. And don't forget to put snow on the new map if you want players to buy snow terrain training.

I suggest you make it so that a player can easily make his/her mercs/demons as unlikely to die as the main hero. If this sounds overpowered, make the merc/demon upgrades the more expensive the more has been summoned. I really dislike losing units. If mercs/demons may die without revive, I'll only use my main hero in future too.

When I right-click my heroes to cast a spell, I can't see clerics'/mages'/roguemages' s specialization in heal/attack/move magic. Is it there? I mean that spell effects and casting costs seem to be same in turn 1.

Why does SX RPG Era lack so many max-level mainline units, even those not campaign-specific?
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Spirit_of_Currents wrote: September 13th, 2021, 4:50 pm When I right-click my heroes to cast a spell, I can't see clerics'/mages'/roguemages' s specialization in heal/attack/move magic. Is it there? I mean that spell effects and casting costs seem to be same in turn 1.
indeed its all the same in turn 1. the specialization comes via the special items that they can buy in the shop. Mage has mage staff+mage ring, cleric has cleric staff (and divine healing as special spell) and rogue-mage has amber-amulett. The items grant special bonusses. (and of course they differ from each other because of their ranged/melee/mixed combat nature)
Spirit_of_Currents wrote: September 13th, 2021, 4:50 pm Why does SX RPG Era lack so many max-level mainline units, even those not campaign-specific?
because they are considered to be inferior to other choices. and even in the actual era are some units that are simply weaker then others.

you can make suggestions which units to add and they will be added.

OR BETTER: make your own era, tell me about the goal you want to reach with it, and i may include it in the next update :)
Mabuse

Re: SXRPG Version 5.3.0b -- on 1.14 + 1.15/1.16 Server

Post by Mabuse »

So here is the last non-content upgrade for SXRPG,
it enhances Gameplay by adding possibility to select different starting-levels, which give more gold on player side, but also raise the mob and boss stats by the selected number of levels. essentially "per level" you travel 10 turns ahead in time. i just didnt want to call it "turns" because it does not affect the turn-limit to kill the enemy leader of ai 6+7, to prevent additional explanations and so forth.

it also adds some stuff to strenghen team play. a powerful moving-spell "teleport" was added. all units that have teleport at start (in sxrpg era this is only silver-mage) keep it. i decided to make it not too expensive in use, because it uses up an ability-slot - so you want to get something for the bucks i guess.

also soul-stealer and scavenger made more attractive for team-play, while both support completely different approaches. soulstealer/reward gives ALL players money if unit gets a kill, while scavenger/bounty get a higher drop chance ye more players are on the team. so more gold for the team, or more gold for you. its up to the player.

demons and mercs get backstab, and thus a solid +100% damage boost if used properly (beside the +25% bonus when standng next to summoner)

----------------------
CHANGELOG :5.3.0b
GAMEPLAY UPGRADE
----------------------

5.3.0:

Gameplay:
-------------

- starting levels can be selected via "advanced options" in game-start menu
("This defines at which Level the game is started.

A higher starting Level result in more Gold at start and thus
more powerful and versatile Heroes.

Level 0: 0 Bonus Gold, +0 Level Enemies
Level 1: 650 Bonus Gold, +1 Level Enemies
Level 2: 1300 Bonus Gold, +2 Level Enemies
Level 3: 1950 Bonus Gold, +3 Level Enemies
Level 4: 2600 Bonus Gold, +4 Level Enemies

Enemy stats will be adjusted accordingly, e.g. start L0 has initially
level0 mobs while start L4 begins with level4 mobs.

Boss and Guardian Stats also increase by the number of selected Levels.

While there a differences this is not a difficulty scale. Instead an option
to offer more diversity for playing. if you dont want to slowly build your
Hero select a higher starting Level. Possible disadvantage is faster
enemy progression. Possible advantage is obviously more power but also
more mana for spells.")

- moving through Fires, Ice_Fires or Burning Braziers will now cost Health
(Former: take damage when ending turn on same hex)

Players and Classes:
--------------------

- Teleport ability added, units with teleport at start keep it.
teleport allows to teleport next to allied units. its useage consumes MANA/STAMINA
(in general this enhances teamplay. teleport is only useful in teamgames by its definition
and will help the party to concentrate fighting power where it is needed.)

- Player-Controlled Demons and Mercs get BACKSTAB Ability on all Attacks
(this is to offer more tactical use to the Demons/Mercs which get a solid +100% damage boost when used
in cooperation with a hero or another Demon, enabale them to deal more damage to strong bosses)

- Kills with Soulstealer/Divine Reward grant all PLayers +1 Gold
- Scavanger Drop Chance increase with every player ingame by 16% and drops 5 gold

(in general this enhances teamplay.
soulstealer will strenghen the whole party, while scavenger/bountyhunter provides a solid individual gold boost,
that grant higher chance of profit the more players are ingame. this is to balance the fact that lower players
numbers will kill more units with each hero. in a solo game one player get 100% of all kills, while in 5 player game
one players get 20% of all kills. higher dropchance for scavenger/bounty and gold-for-all for soulstealer/reward
compensate this)

Misc:
-------
- added 3 new items

5.3.0a:

Bugfix:
-------
- small fix to make leaders stationary again

5.3.0b:

Bugfix:
-------
- fixed non-submerged enemies
Pagawan

Post by Pagawan »

Thank you Mabuse for updating this.
But seems there is a bug on 1.16 server that disables the option of playing with others with an error "tile error xos". This error kicks all but the host and others can't even observe :augh: . All else seems fine and works well. But not being able to play with friends sucks the life out of the game. Please fix, thanks.

EDIT
It seems the error occurs when using Ageless Era. It doesn't occur when using sxrpg era. I haven't tested other eras yet.

EDIT
No other era works with this in multiplayer. Only the sxrpg era works with multiple players.
Loading Advertisement
Pagawan

Post by Pagawan »

From my experience while playing I recommend superiority be reviewed on assigned units. Some recruited units combine ranged with magical slows and melee with superiority slows and the added resistances and become boss like. Each time you take on one (with full HP) you either need to heal or at least 2-3 rounds to kill one. The units with a ranged combining slow magical and also melee with slow only seem better balanced. An example is a unit in the map Wizard of War; unit Saurian wizard (and preceding/succeeding levels) recruit is going to do damage equal to bosses as it takes so long to kill while the black wizard (preceding/succeeding levels too) is better balanced. Please review :cry:
Loading Advertisement
Mabuse

Re: SXRPG Version 5.4.0 -- 1.16 Server

Post by Mabuse »

Update:

----------------------
CHANGELOG :5.4.0
GAMEPLAY UPGRADE
----------------------

Gameplay:
-------------
- added random bosses.
there is a chance that each turn enemy leader will spawn a boss, the chance is turnnumber/4 per enemy leader
so very early game is not so much affected, in later game ai will spawn a lot more bosses.
Also starting on higher Levels (in advanced game options) will influence the "number of turn" in game, by +10 per level.
The Bosses drop loot.

Bugfix:
-------
- 2 high level items fixed (Amulett of Power, Bombs)
that could not be picked up

So assuming there are 4 enemy leader in game, the cumulative chance for an additional boss hits about 100% at turn 15/16, then next additional boss is turn 21. So there is an impact on early game as well. Which is of course desired for more fun and variety and challenge. If you are very unlucky, (1% chance) then the first ai-leader will throw a boss at turn 4 at you right away, so you may never know.

If you start a level 4 game in advanced option (equivalent on starting at turn 40), there is a solid chance of 40% (4 enemy leaders in game (40/4 = 10% per leader)) that a boss is spawned every turn. so there will be about every 2 or 3 turn one more boss roaming around. ofc your hero is much stronger also, but it can be still tricky and you may be forced to retreat once in a while.

------------

so for the future i procrastinated about a decade on the new map :lol:, but i still want to implement it, although atm i have some fun making solo runs at level4 again.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Pagawan wrote: December 19th, 2021, 10:08 am Each time you take on one (with full HP) you either need to heal or at least 2-3 rounds to kill one. The units with a ranged combining slow magical and also melee with slow only seem better balanced. An example is a unit in the map Wizard of War; unit Saurian wizard (and preceding/succeeding levels) recruit is going to do damage equal to bosses as it takes so long to kill while the black wizard (preceding/succeeding levels too) is better balanced. Please review :cry:

Hello,
you may want to team up on these (in case you are playing with several heroes) or your hero is not strong enough.
either way the saurian mages may be annyoing but they are not annoying enough to ne nerfed for sure. :D

the game will be at best getting harder and harder, but nothing get nerfed, since there is no need for that. once you figure out how things work.
ofc there is always a chance to die and things may go bad. but that is intended.

i usually die endless times when playing but thats just me having fun, you can always play more conservative.
originally the game was meant to be played with 5 heroes, but any number is ok, if you play solo the game is much faster and slightly easier at start.

Some Tips:

- generally said the less the starting-money the more delayed everything will be

- the number one priority is mobility. unless you have a mobile hero, getting cave-explorer trait is mandatory. get as many terrain-training as it seems to make sense. do terrain training first, then get "agilty-ability" asap, unless your hero has already high terrain defenses especially on flat should be at least 40%, better 50% (via terrain training). this has to be set on ypur FIRST shop visit, no matter the starting gold.
- skirmisher is wonderful, specially for non magic users (but may be too expensive early on, when you can get the damage you need)
- getting more moves after kill is wonderful
- remember to use hit+run/magic movement, its basically a core mechanic of SXRPG
(also remember to use potions and spells)

- basically one weapon may be all you need to upgrade in early game (usually arcane) and in later game you can upgrade another picked up or secondary weapon or even buy another one if needed (+ a slowing side-arm for the non-prioritized range), there are cases where you would want to prioritize maxing non arcane weapons first, but thats nothing you can recommend in general, also in come case it may be better to use a torch as side arm (for ranged-hero), but again, not in general.

- in early game damage/strikes (damage output) is important, since you have a basic regen-ability by default, you can probably delay getting regen-ability too early.
- its important to have weapons with high hit chance (magical/focus/hailofarrows/magiccircle/marksman) to be able to hit something. if you have the money (solo start, even more if high level start) think about maxing out your MAIN weapon on specials asap.

- armorwise all you probably need is having 50% on all specs on offense using dauntless-ability, remaining armor is just for endgame or even useless
but halving incoming damage while on a streak is gold. if you have the money (solo start) make sure to get that asap. in the end its much cheaper than buying tons of HP early, but if money is low (5 player start, low level) this would be developed later ofc.

- in late game potion-management become more important (in early game waste of money, in late game you can stock up some red and cyan potion and grind through strong creeps if nessessary)

- bombs and attack-spells are great for weaking leaders

- clearly some heroes are better than others, on the grandmaster difficulty i recommend using only top tier units, lower diffs may be better for random heros

- im not sure about mercs and demons, but at leat you can do something with your stamina/mana if you dont have other use for it.

- mandatory abilities may be "agility" (if needed), "dauntless", "regen" and one "gold giving" ability. also an "attack spell" for magic user is great
(and i personally would do a solo without skirmisher ability). well you see a lot of mandatory abilities, and so few ability points :lol:

im kinda exploring what could be done to enhance the weapon-specials-development, since its maxed out pretty quickly
on the other hand we may not need more.