Season Changer Mod

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PapaSmurfReloaded

Season Changer Mod

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

This is the official topic for the Season Changer mod.

This mod modifies all of the "outdoor" terrains of the map and cycles between the 4 seasons.The host may change how many turns each season lasts from the settings.

Any feedback will be appreciated.
Attachments
season_changer_mod.png
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: Season Changer Mod

Added a screenshot of the mod.
PapaSmurfReloaded

New version:
-Fixed a bug that made the starting season one turn longer.
-Default season length is now 6 turns, to match a whole day of the default schedule.
PapaSmurfReloaded

New version with a couple of fixes.
PapaSmurfReloaded

New version, now leaf litter hex is used underneath forest hexes.
GrandMarshalEmil

Post by GrandMarshalEmil »

My friends and I love this mod! Is there any way to randomize the number of turns for each season change, or exempt areas of the map from changing?
PapaSmurfReloaded

GrandMarshalEmil wrote: March 26th, 2020, 11:52 pm My friends and I love this mod! Is there any way to randomize the number of turns for each season change, or exempt areas of the map from changing?
-You can change how long seasons lasts (between 1 to 12 turns) before starting the game.
It is probably possible to make them last a random amount of turns though, I might do it in the future.
-No, it is not possible to exempt areas from changing, that would be way too messy.
Janonas

Post by Janonas »

Hey I have an issue with the frozen ground removal, mayba make it so areas predetermined to be frozen only thaws in the summer and stays frozen during the other seasons, like the shallow water turning into mud bridges.
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

This mod looks dope. Good work.
Randomizing the length of seasons could be a good addition. Like, the last winter was particularly tough, but the next one is mild.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
PapaSmurfReloaded

Janonas wrote: June 29th, 2020, 2:34 am Hey I have an issue with the frozen ground removal, mayba make it so areas predetermined to be frozen only thaws in the summer and stays frozen during the other seasons, like the shallow water turning into mud bridges.
It's a complicated situation to make sense of, because the mod is supposed to do that.

In some maps you'd want to keep the frozen terrain (maybe it's supposed to represent somewhere up in the mountains) while changing the rest of the map, however that's really specific and depends of each map.

In general I would say this mod is not suited for maps that make use of season-specific terrains in certains areas while others not.
Krogen wrote: June 29th, 2020, 5:57 pm This mod looks dope. Good work.
Randomizing the length of seasons could be a good addition. Like, the last winter was particularly tough, but the next one is mild.
At some point I considered it, however I feel that RNG could get in the way of the players.
I chose to make the seasons cycle predictable to allow players to plan ahead.
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Well, the best solution would probably be to let the players decide whether or not they want more chaotic seasons or not. (Kinda like the option to change the length of the seasons.)
Another idea worth considering is to randomize not the length of the seasons, but the intensity. For example during a mild winter only 50% of the terrains are covered in snow, which would be 100% during a normal one. Decided randomly. Same could be done to water for the rest of the seasons. And of course, this could also be turned off and on before the match.
Also a mod like this probably won't make for a really balanced match, so i don't believe that should be the intention. This looks more like chaotic fun, and it's perfect at that. And in something like that, the more options the players have to make it even more chaotic, the better.
Though this is all probably easier said than done. It's a fun mod either way.

One way i like to play during my otherwise boring hours is to fight against the AI, give it a relatively elite army with debug, set the seasons for 12 turns, start with autumn and try to survive and hold my positions until winter, when everything slows down and the elite army can be dealt with.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
PapaSmurfReloaded

Krogen wrote: July 1st, 2020, 2:51 am Another idea worth considering is to randomize not the length of the seasons, but the intensity. For example during a mild winter only 50% of the terrains are covered in snow, which would be 100% during a normal one. Decided randomly. Same could be done to water for the rest of the seasons. And of course, this could also be turned off and on before the match.
That's actually a cool idea, I am fairly sure it would not give hard to implement. For each hex of the map, I could make it so that when season changes, rather than having a 100% chance to change terrain, to get a 90%, 80%, etc. That would result in a sprinkly random pattern of terrains.
That would be more chaotic surely, I like it.
As far the length, yeah I could add the option I guess, as long as people know what they are getting into. :lol:
Spixi

Post by Spixi »

Isn’t that mod a little unbalanced? Undead have a huge advantage, because bats and ghosts have not limited movement in snow.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Spixi wrote: June 14th, 2021, 4:45 pm Isn’t that mod a little unbalanced? Undead have a huge advantage, because bats and ghosts have not limited movement in snow.
The mod is supposed to serve an aesthetic purpose, it's up to the player to decide whether they feel the seasons effect is worth modifying the game balance.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Notice: If you have a version of this add-on that is older than 1.16.211110, please uninstall it manually by either via the add-on manager or by deleting the folder that contains it (it will be located within the Wesnoth add-on folder).

To fix an issue, newer versions of this add-on use a different folder name and ID. This means the older versions of the add-on will not be automatically deleted after downloading the one that is currently in the add-on server. There should be no interference between both versions but those have the older version may find themselves having duplicates after downloading the new one. Sorry for the inconvenience!