Tower defense maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

hay207

Tower defense maps

Post by hay207 » January 22nd, 2019, 11:52 am

Hello

I remember playing velensk's tower defense map in 1.12, however many errors appeared when i uploaded to 1.14, i am trying to fix these atm, while doing so , i created my own addon named "tower defense maps", it currently have only one map, map created by IPS, coded by me.

Velensk's map's up to 4p, mine for 3p.

You basicly build towers/units (that can't move) to defend against moving mobs/waves (that can not attack) trying to reach central tower.

If you liked the idea and wanted to post your own map of tower defense, i can code it.

Please report any errors/bugs here.
td_map.png
Edit: i fixed velensk's tower defense map, please report any errors.
Ports: Velensk's tower defense, dov's deep shrine
Addons: Tower defense maps , some ANL scenarios

Can-ned_Food

Re: Tower defense maps

Post by Can-ned_Food » February 12th, 2019, 3:16 am

I was working on a port of this also.

The Tower Defense paradigm doesn't work very well in this engine unless you allow towers to attack every tile between a moveto. That was one of the things which I was doing.
Otherwise, you would want ranged attacks on the towers.
I suppose you could design a chequerboard–ish map. Players would need to place towers all over the map so as to decently intercept the creepers.

TDs are also very tedious in a turn–based engine. You want small maps and few movepoints per creeper — like 1 or 2 each. The speedy ones can have 3 or 4.

hay207

Post by hay207 » February 22nd, 2019, 10:27 pm

I don't fully understand what you mean, Have you tried my map? or velensk's?
Ports: Velensk's tower defense, dov's deep shrine
Addons: Tower defense maps , some ANL scenarios

Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food » February 23rd, 2019, 3:53 pm

Yes, I gave Velensk's version a go.

The creepers would buzz past my towers, and then I recognized that there was nothing to enable my towers to attack unless an enemy ended its move adjacent to the tower. Not what I was expecting from my experiences with other tower–defenses.

Velensk's map also seemed too large. Good thing that the hitpoints of the central HQ were few enough to shorten the time watching the enemy approach until an impending defeat.
(It helps to disable drawing the moves of computer–controlled opponents.)

Initially, I repaired a few glitches. I then began revising the concept, but lost interest among my many other concerns.
Attachments
4p-Tower_Defense.cfg.bz2
most recently edited by me on 2018 July 25
(7.39 KiB) Downloaded 61 times